The Next 8 games - Make or Break Time

182 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Next 8 games - Make or Break Time

by Hendo » 21 Jan 2019 17:25

Just for comparison, Rotherham's next 8 games and their current league positions are:

Leeds (H) - 1st
Millwall (A) - 19th
Wigan (H) - 20th
Hull (A) - 8th
Sheff W (H) - 16th
Reading (A) - 22nd
Blackburn (H) - 10th
Sheff Utd (A) - 3rd

I would say a similar run of games to our own, with Leeds and Hull being the exceptions. If we could gain a 6 point gap from those two games, it would be very nice indeed, we are playing Bolton and Blackburn for comparison.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2019 17:42

I call 8 points with back to back defeats in two of the last three effectively opening the trap door under our feet

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jan 2019 18:05

Snowflake Royal I call 8 points with back to back defeats in two of the last three effectively opening the trap door under our feet

Cheer up mate x

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2019 18:11

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal I call 8 points with back to back defeats in two of the last three effectively opening the trap door under our feet

Cheer up mate x

I'm fine with it mate. Been expecting relegation since game 6. Beats another season fighting relegation and losing to the same old teams.

And if we do better, I get to be pleasantly surprised.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Jan 2019 22:10

Wycombe Royal I am going for an optimistic 16 points from those games. And I'm a half glass empty type of person......

16 from 24 ?

When we've achieved 5 out of the last 24. That's a turn round in form. Given the lack of goals as well.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Jan 2019 09:52

Lower West
Wycombe Royal I am going for an optimistic 16 points from those games. And I'm a half glass empty type of person......

16 from 24 ?

When we've achieved 5 out of the last 24. That's a turn round in form. Given the lack of goals as well.

I'm not very good at predictions, but I've had a surge of optimism. :lol:

Duffy

by Duffy » 22 Jan 2019 10:10

Zip When we play Bolton next week it will be their third game in eight days whilst we should be fresh. There can be no excuses. We need to start fast in that game. Again no excuses. They should be raring to go.

Too much emphasis is being placed on the next eight games. There will still be plenty of points to play for thereafter. I suspect we will have a mixed bag of results and pick up around 11/12 points which might just about see us edge ahead of Rotherham.

Bolton is by no means a given. Having watched some of the game last night they did cause WBA a few problems.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jan 2019 10:10

Duffy
Zip When we play Bolton next week it will be their third game in eight days whilst we should be fresh. There can be no excuses. We need to start fast in that game. Again no excuses. They should be raring to go.

Too much emphasis is being placed on the next eight games. There will still be plenty of points to play for thereafter. I suspect we will have a mixed bag of results and pick up around 11/12 points which might just about see us edge ahead of Rotherham.

Bolton is by no means a given. Having watched some of the game last night they did cause WBA a few problems.

They didn't, they were abysmal. Hi DD/Kes btw.

Duffy

by Duffy » 22 Jan 2019 10:16

Old Man Andrews
Duffy

I saw Gary O'Neil come close and they had several other chances. What you also must remember is WBA are a better side than us. Not sure what the last part of your response means.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Jan 2019 10:20

Duffy
Old Man Andrews
Duffy

I saw Gary O'Neil come close and they had several other chances. What you also must remember is WBA are a better side than us. Not sure what the last part of your response means.

What you must remember is if their most potent option is Gary O'Neil then they are diabolical. And they are. Their defending of set pieces isn't good enough, but I think crucially they were undone by a through ball for the 2nd goal which seems to be one of our strengths. Baker and Ejaria will rip them to shreds.

Duffy

by Duffy » 22 Jan 2019 10:41

John Smith
Duffy
Old Man Andrews

What you must remember is if their most potent option is Gary O'Neil then they are diabolical. And they are. Their defending of set pieces isn't good enough, but I think crucially they were undone by a through ball for the 2nd goal which seems to be one of our strengths. Baker and Ejaria will rip them to shreds.

Let's hope so. I'm not so confident. I've not seen us rip anyone to shreds in a long time. You could argue Forest at home, but they did go down to 9 men....

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Jan 2019 11:50

Old Man Andrews
Duffy

dduffy

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jan 2019 12:00

Bolton is a big game not just because of the positions of the two teams.

Logically a draw there is "OK" as Bolton stay below us, they need to win home games etc.

ATM I think Bolton and Ipswich are going down. Neither show signs of a turn-round.

I think we "SHOULD" win at Bolton. If we do I think we will start picking up
well in excess of 1.5ppg. The way we played second half at Derby would cut Bolton
wide open.

So based on a win at Bolton

1-3 W Bolton Away
2-0 W VILLA
1-1 D Wednesday Away (This one could be anything, frankly)
2-0 W BLACKBURN.
2-0 L Sheffield United Away <<<<
3-0 W Rotherham
1-2 W Ipswich Away
( but Just the sort of game to blow an obvious win)
3-0 W WIGAN

19 Points from 8 Games, we get out of the bottom 3, are above Rotherham and Wigan as well as Bolton and Ipswich. Also caught Millwall

Duffy

by Duffy » 22 Jan 2019 12:21

We have only amassed 23 points from 28 games this season. That'll be some turnaround to get 19 points from only 8 games.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jan 2019 12:39

Duffy We have only amassed 23 points from 28 games this season. That'll be some turnaround to get 19 points from only 8 games.

First, our opening six games partly distorts that picture. Leaving those aside it's 21 from 22, and that is after a tough run

1 New manager making us play better.

Evidence, drawing 0-0 at QPR, good result by any standards, competing well at Manchester United, on the best win-run of any new Utd manager in history, beaten only by a VAR penalty and a goal from a £70 Million striker. Beating Notts Forest 2-0 and playing them off the park, then competing at Derby (who had just beaten Premiership Saints and are sixth in the table) and dominating them second-half.

2 Finding a place for Aluko and transforming his form - almost a new signing.

3 Signing Ovie Ejaria who is already very good indeed. Probably Baker, also

4 Emergence of Rinhomota - a future Prem player if ever I saw one

5 Settling on a Number 1 goalkeeper (for now). Maybe not good enough, but better than uncertainty.

6 Removing dead weight, bad eggs from the squad. Increased morale

7 Probable signing of a known QUALITY striker. (Had we had one at Derby we would have got at least a point).

8 Manager's effect only just beginning to show and this should become more evident as we progress, resulting in wins where we might have drawn, draws where we might have lost. The extra points will increase confidence and mean even more points
Last edited by Snowball on 22 Jan 2019 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Jan 2019 13:44

Snowball
Duffy We have only amassed 23 points from 28 games this season. That'll be some turnaround to get 19 points from only 8 games.

First, our opening six games partly distorts that picture. Leaving those aside it's 21 from 22, and that is after a tough run

Evidence, drawing 0-0 at QPR, good result by any standards, competing well at Manchester United, on the best win-run of any new Utd manager in history, beaten only by a VAR penalty and a goal from a £70 Million striker. Beating Norwich 2-0 and playing them off the park, then competing at Derby (who had just beaten Premiership Saints and are sixth in the table) and dominating them second-half.

5 Settling on a Number 1 goalkeeper (for now). Maybe not good enough, but better than uncertainty.

7 Probable signing of a known QUALITY striker. (Had we had one at Derby we would have got at least a point).

8 Manager's effect only just beginning to show and this should become more evident as we progress, resulting in wins where we might have drawn, draws where we might have lost. The extra points will increase confidence and mean even more points

Snowball, as usual getting carried away.
When did we beat Norwich under the new manager?
It was Man Utd's Reserves that we played-it's the first team that has been winning.
You somehow forgot, or chose to ignore, the debacle v Swansea.

No wonder people don't take you seriously.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jan 2019 14:03

Victor Meldrew
Snowball

Evidence, drawing 0-0 at QPR, good result by any standards, competing well at Manchester United, on the best win-run of any new Utd manager in history, beaten only by a VAR penalty and a goal from a £70 Million striker. Beating Norwich 2-0 and playing them off the park, then competing at Derby (who had just beaten Premiership Saints and are sixth in the table) and dominating them second-half.

It was Man Utd's Reserves that we played-it's the first team that has been winning.

You well know that Norwich was a mis-type for Notts Forest, and a gentleman might have pointed out the error.

I didn't ignore the Swansea game. It was irrelevant. I was talking about evidence of improvement

As for the Swansea game, I just see it as "one of those games"

Reading had more possession, more shots, the same number of shots on target (5),
as Swansea but, like at Old Trafford, our weakness in front of goal, and the other side's
clinical finishing, is what made the difference.

We appear to have got in two very good midfielders, got Aluko playing again,
discovered Rinomhota, settled on a keeper for now, and are just about to get a striker

All in all that is brilliant and I'm happy to have a hefty side bet with you that Reading will be
clear of relegation by season's end. How much £100? £500?

Duffy

by Duffy » 22 Jan 2019 15:00

Snowball

Evidence, drawing 0-0 at QPR, good result by any standards, competing well at Manchester United, on the best win-run of any new Utd manager in history, beaten only by a VAR penalty and a goal from a £70 Million striker. Beating Notts Forest 2-0 and playing them off the park, then competing at Derby (who had just beaten Premiership Saints and are sixth in the table) and dominating them second-half.

Gomes has picked up 4 points from a possible 18. I like to look at the hard facts, not what might or might not happen. I'd love it if we could really turn this around, but despite showing signs of promise in some games, I really wouldn't get carried away.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2019 15:27

Duffy
Old Man Andrews
Duffy Bolton is by no means a given. Having watched some of the game last night they did cause WBA a few problems.

It means we didn't just get off the boat. :wink:

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 22 Jan 2019 15:35

Snowball
Victor Meldrew
Snowball

You well know that Norwich was a mis-type for Notts Forest, and a gentleman might have pointed out the error.

I didn't ignore the Swansea game. It was irrelevant. I was talking about evidence of improvement

As for the Swansea game, I just see it as "one of those games"

Reading had more possession, more shots, the same number of shots on target (5),
as Swansea but, like at Old Trafford, our weakness in front of goal, and the other side's
clinical finishing, is what made the difference.

We appear to have got in two very good midfielders, got Aluko playing again,
discovered Rinomhota, settled on a keeper for now, and are just about to get a striker

All in all that is brilliant and I'm happy to have a hefty side bet with you that Reading will be
clear of relegation by season's end. How much £100? £500?

Define 'clear of relegation'?

182 posts