The League of 4

540 posts
JR

Re: The League of 4

by JR » 27 Apr 2019 09:19

Snowflake Royal
JR
Stranded I think the more fight pisstaking is a direct response to the Sky pundits tipping Rotherhan to stay up over us due to their fighting spirit. Since which point they've picked up a solitary point.

Are there any Twitter handles we can target for their views? Keith Andrews in particular was very critical of our ability to fight

They're just expressing an opinion. Don't get all precious about it and start abusing them on social media. Talk about small time petty mentality.

You are right - I should no better as the victim of Twitter vitriol myself following the Valentines tweet.

Despite that it is frustrating how pundits like Andrews (“I know for a fact that Rotherham and Millwall are up for the fight but Reading don’t convince me”) and the unknown BBC reporter (bore draw headline after last weeks thriller) can make lazy statements to the world that go unchallenged. But I guess there’s part of the fun of being a Royals supporter.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Apr 2019 09:23

Only Prutton predicted we would stay up. At least he is forced to look at the form guide because of his weekly predictions so he will have known Reading were improving.
The other pundits were just lazy which irritates because they will be well paid for spouting ill informed nonsense.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Apr 2019 09:35

JR
Snowflake Royal
JR
Are there any Twitter handles we can target for their views? Keith Andrews in particular was very critical of our ability to fight

They're just expressing an opinion. Don't get all precious about it and start abusing them on social media. Talk about small time petty mentality.

You are right - I should no better as the victim of Twitter vitriol myself following the Valentines tweet.

Despite that it is frustrating how pundits like Andrews (“I know for a fact that Rotherham and Millwall are up for the fight but Reading don’t convince me”) and the unknown BBC reporter (bore draw headline after last weeks thriller) can make lazy statements to the world that go unchallenged. But I guess there’s part of the fun of being a Royals supporter.

Remember, quiet smug satisfaction wins every time. 8)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Apr 2019 14:08

Full strength WBA side today for all you bed wetters.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Apr 2019 14:46

It's all ok - SSN have put up a note that Rotherham are relegated if Millwall better their result.
8)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Apr 2019 14:52

Franchise FC It's all ok - SSN have put up a note that Rotherham are relegated if Millwall better their result.
8)

Well thats true, it will mean Rotherham have not won therefore can`t match our points total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Apr 2019 14:53

Zip Only Prutton predicted we would stay up. At least he is forced to look at the form guide because of his weekly predictions so he will have known Reading were improving.
The other pundits were just lazy which irritates because they will be well paid for spouting ill informed nonsense.

Which is surprising as he is the one who is usually very negative about us.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 27 Apr 2019 15:04

windermereROYAL
Franchise FC It's all ok - SSN have put up a note that Rotherham are relegated if Millwall better their result.
8)

Well thats true, it will mean Rotherham have not won therefore can`t match our points total.

:lol: take that Franchise!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2019 15:26

Zip Only Prutton predicted we would stay up. At least he is forced to look at the form guide because of his weekly predictions so he will have known Reading were improving.

A pundit spouting ill informed nonsense? Isn’t that generally the standard thing for all clubs outside the PL given no one is meant to care about them?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2019 15:49

Sounds like WBA are playing for a 6th place finish.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Apr 2019 16:21

We might only be staying up on goal difference. Come the end of the season. A fine margin. That last gasp winner against Wigan .........

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Apr 2019 16:58

Confirmed Rotherham down

Looks like Colin will be seeing us again next year as well

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 28 Apr 2019 04:23

JR
Snowflake Royal
JR Are there any Twitter handles we can target for their views? Keith Andrews in particular was very critical of our ability to fight

If you go thru twitter, or opposing teams forums, you'll find some juicy bits.
Pundits and social media don't irritate me really. You make a a choice how you respond accordingly. If we fly under the radar, fine by me. I'd rather that, than any pressure or expectations of us getting results/staying up. And then if we come thru, the satisfaction is all the greater.

Re. Rovrum, I'd say 'gladiators' isn't too far off. Not because of pundits or social media. But because of when I've watched them, and because of opposing manager and player interviews after each game, consistently alike.

''They are a tough and physical team to play against because of the way they set up, and the way they play'.

They are as advertised, and they are what they are. A team of limited resources. They know who they are, and who they aren't, and they play accordingly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Apr 2019 12:10

Agree with that Denver, they're a good L1 side who just don't have the foundation (as yet) to be competitive in the Championship. They're familiar with the fight and it's how they hope to survive because they can't compete on a level playing field.

By contrast we're a firmly establish Championship on the struggle. There's still plenty of quality in our side so when we win it can more easily be seen as by turning up and properly applying ourselves rather than through sheer grit and fight which is the perception of the likes of Rotherham.

riverroyal

by riverroyal » 29 Apr 2019 10:44

Beat Birmingham on Sunday and Rotherham lose and we finish NINE points above them . . . would make it look very comfortable for anyone looking back at the tables in years to come.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2019 12:33

Snowflake Royal Agree with that Denver, they're a good L1 side who just don't have the foundation (as yet) to be competitive in the Championship. They're familiar with the fight and it's how they hope to survive because they can't compete on a level playing field.

By contrast we're a firmly establish Championship on the struggle. There's still plenty of quality in our side so when we win it can more easily be seen as by turning up and properly applying ourselves rather than through sheer grit and fight which is the perception of the likes of Rotherham.

Losing 5 games in a row when you take the lead doesn’t sound like fight to me, it sounds like a bottle job

They’ve been in the champ for 4 of the last 5 seasons I believe - it’s not like Burton last season, who were clearly punching above their weight

They’ve decent players and a decent manager. They have a system that works for them. They’ve held their own against nearly every team they’ve played against this year. Let’s not patronise - they screwed it up big time from the position they were in and I’m sure behind the sound bites they know that

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Apr 2019 13:01

Tbf we’ve dropped 10 points from winning positions in April alone, we’re not that far behind of Rotherham in that respect

And let’s be honest, their squad is awful, I think they’ll be proud of their achievements this season, especially considering how they must have felt after being thumped 5-1 on the first day of the season

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2019 13:02

Hound
Snowflake Royal Agree with that Denver, they're a good L1 side who just don't have the foundation (as yet) to be competitive in the Championship. They're familiar with the fight and it's how they hope to survive because they can't compete on a level playing field.

Losing 5 games in a row when you take the lead doesn’t sound like fight to me, it sounds like a bottle job

They’ve been in the champ for 4 of the last 5 seasons I believe - it’s not like Burton last season, who were clearly punching above their weight

They’ve decent players and a decent manager. They have a system that works for them. They’ve held their own against nearly every team they’ve played against this year. Let’s not patronise - they screwed it up big time from the position they were in and I’m sure behind the sound bites they know that

No it's not like Burton, because just getting here for them was an amazing achievement.

Getting here isn't the achievement for Rotherham, it's getting beyond a relegation dogfight.

Maybe the fight is exemplified in taking the lead and getting close to doing it but the quality just doesn't allow them to sustain it and get the result.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2019 14:03

Think that’s a very generous way of looking at it...And again doubt their manager or fans would see it that way

Pretty much all those teams they played at the end had ‘nothing’ to play for either. Not easy games but such gladiators would surely be expected to at least win more than a point

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2019 17:40

I think the nothing to play for thing is hugely overstated as having any meaning.

540 posts