The League of 4

540 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

The League of 4

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2019 15:10

At the end of the day, to stay up Reading need to win what is looking increasingly like a league of 4. Of course a good run of results or a bad run for other sides may change this dynamic as the season unfolds but currently it's a matter of bettering the results and form being delivered by Ipswich, Bolton and Rotherham.

Current table - last 5 places (with form for last 5 games)

20 Wigan 29 29 -- d l w l l
21 Rotherham 29 25 -- l w l l l
22 Reading 29 24 -- d l w l d
23 Bolton 29 23 -- d l l l d
24 Ipswich 29 18 -- l l w l l

Looks like Reading are form team :lol:

February fixtures...

02-Feb

Ipswich v Sheff Wed
Millwall v Rotherham
Reading v Aston Villa
Sheff U v Bolton

09-Feb

Bolton v Preston
Rotherham v Wigan
Sheff W v Reading

10-Feb

Norwich v Ipswich

12-Feb

Birmingham v Bolton
Hull v Rotherham

13-Feb

Ipswich v Derby
Reading v Blackburn (red button)

16-Feb

Bolton v Norwich
Ipswich v Stoke
Rotherham v Sheff Wed (1pm)
Sheff U v Reading

23-Feb

Leeds v Bolton
Reading v Rotherham
Wigan v Ipswich

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The League of 4

by Hound » 30 Jan 2019 15:14

Wigan are 5 points clear with 17 games to go. They are certainly part of the shake up. AS are Millwall, though think they are probably too strong to be dragged back in

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 15:17

Hound Wigan are 5 points clear with 17 games to go. They are certainly part of the shake up. AS are Millwall, though think they are probably too strong to be dragged back in

Millwall's cup exploits could help us should they go beyond the next round. Huge distraction.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2019 15:28

Can we call this the tinpot league?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 15:31

NewCorkSeth Can we call this the tinpot league?

Not sure we can legally call it that without QPR in it.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 Jan 2019 16:52

I would say 6 teams are in this scrap, of which the obvious 4 are in the most trouble. There always tends to be that team who has a massive fall from grace, but i really can't see anyone falling into that bracket and Brentford, Sheff W and Preston 34-36pts are just far enough ahead and also look to good to beat the drop.
Wigan i guess have the best chance of falling into the mess, they're on a bad run and if they sell Will Greg that won't help their cause. I think Millwall have enough fighting spirit to drag themselves clear, so it really looks like Ipswich, Bolton, us, Rotherham and Wigan.
Ipswich are surly down, and after yesterdays perforance i really think Bolton will go down. So that leave us, Rotherhan and Wigan!!
I still think we will have just enough to beat the drop and both Rotherham and Wigan will be below us, and its going to be one heck of a ride.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 30 Jan 2019 20:10

Ipswich and Boltons run in February looks horrendous however considering they are both below us it doesn't concern me. I think both will drop and need minor miracles to escape.

As for Rotherham they easily have the best run in Feb. Ours is a bit indifferent. If the two sides are tied at the end of Feb I would have confidence in nipping them to the post. They'd have stuffed up some golden opportunities. However we must not fall further behind. 7 points and it's all over I fear

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2019 20:17

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Can we call this the tinpot league?

Not sure we can legally call it that without QPR in it.

Lolz

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 30 Jan 2019 21:39

Based on any metric of squad quality- transfer fee, wages, PL appearances, international caps- this really should be no contest. Just shows how badly managed/mentally lacking this group of players have been.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jan 2019 21:44

RichTea94 Based on any metric of squad quality- transfer fee, wages, PL appearances, international caps- this really should be no contest. Just shows how badly managed/mentally lacking this group of players have been.

The danger of your metrics is we could name a team consisting of JUST John O’Shea and the numbers would suggest we’d stay up comfortably.....

Rfc_suzannah
Hob Nob Regular

by Rfc_suzannah » 31 Jan 2019 12:58

Old Man Andrews
Hound Wigan are 5 points clear with 17 games to go. They are certainly part of the shake up. AS are Millwall, though think they are probably too strong to be dragged back in

Millwall's cup exploits could help us should they go beyond the next round. Huge distraction.

That’s what I was thinking, with any luck, Millwall will focus too much on the cup and league form can go even more to pot :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2019 19:15

Well no ground lost but none gained on Rotherham. A point further way from Bolton is good.

Dodgy next Saturday though with an awkward trip to Sheff Wed who will be wanting to turn on a bit of style for Bruce’s first home game in charge while Rotherham will be fancying their chances against a dodgy Wigan.

Worst case next week could see Reading slip to 23rd and be 4 points from safety.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Feb 2019 19:37

Sutekh Well no ground lost but none gained on Rotherham. A point further way from Bolton is good.

Neither Rotherham nor Millwall moved further ahead. Any points gained against top half teams are a bonus for us. Will restore/build confidence. Just then need to win the 6 pointers that will lift us up the table.
Last edited by Lower West on 02 Feb 2019 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Feb 2019 19:37

Sutekh Well no ground lost but none gained on Rotherham. A point further way from Bolton is good.

Dodgy next Saturday though with an awkward trip to Sheff Wed who will be wanting to turn on a bit of style for Bruce’s first home game in charge while Rotherham will be fancying their chances against a dodgy Wigan.

Worst case next week could see Reading slip to 23rd and be 4 points from safety.

I think we need to assume Rotherham will beat Wigan. Any result Wigan get is a bonus.

Home form is key. I think beating Rotherham, Wigan, Blackburn, Birmingham and getting at least a draw v Preston and Brentford would give us a great chance. Need to nick 1 or 2 away wins too. Sheffield Wednesday is one of our easiest away games left so need to try get a result.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2019 19:42

Of the League of 4, I see the bookies now have us as the highest odds against for going down

ie three worse clubs

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Feb 2019 09:41

Another round of games gone and bit more made on Bolton while still keeping in touch with Rotherham thanks to a good point in Sheffield compared to their failure to earn 3 against Wigan.

Reasonable chance now for Reading to get out the bottom three this week so let's all hope Hull turn up on Tuesday night.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Feb 2019 09:49

I believe we will stay up comfortably.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Feb 2019 09:53

I think the next 3 home games in particular will be hugely important for our hopes of staying up, at least 7 points is an absolute must, with Ipswich sandwiched in between this could decide our destiny.
Some posters have mentioned Rotherham`s remaining fixtures. it`s certainly challenging for them. if we are in touch with a couple of games to go you fancy it to go to the wire.
Rotherham`s last 15 games. not forgetting Wigan and Millwall could be in the mix with us too.
I think they will do well to get a point a game from that lot.

Hull A
Sheff Wed H
Reading A
Blackburn H
Sheff Utd A
QPR A
Norwich H
Derby A
Forest H
Villa H
Stoke A
Swansea A
Birmingham H
WBA A
Boro H

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2019 10:25

Right now we're averaging about a point a game, so we're looking at a repeat of last year where the only thing to save us was the number of abysmal teams at the bottom. But there are fewer this season and we can't keep relying on there being three worse teams every year, because our luck will run out.

Wins soon are a must.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Feb 2019 13:01

Snowflake Royal Right now we're averaging about a point a game, so we're looking at a repeat of last year where the only thing to save us was the number of abysmal teams at the bottom. But there are fewer this season and we can't keep relying on there being three worse teams every year, because our luck will run out.

Wins soon are a must.

Point a game if you include Gomes "first" v Swansea

but 6 from 5 since then with very clear signs of improvement

1.2 ppg for the rest of the season would probably be enough but we must not lose at home to Rotherham

540 posts