The League of 4

540 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: The League of 4

by Platypuss » 06 Mar 2019 11:30

leon
Platypuss Duffy (Kes), any further posts outside AE and you'll be banned.

Don't inflict him on AE!?

Scratch that, just seen the hoLOLocaust that is the What has pissed you off today? thread.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 06 Mar 2019 15:19

Ignoring Bolton's tribulations for now, it seems the general perception is that Rotherham's run-in is particularly difficult and so may be our salvation unless we can start winning a few more games.

Sad to say the reality is quit different. If one takes the current league position of all the opponents Rotherham and ourselves have left, (so the last 11 fixtures of the season), the "average" current position of the teams Rotherham has to face is 8.7, whilst ours is 8.9 - so pretty much the same.

The only slight thing in our favour is that we have 6 homes games left and they have 5. We both have 3 home and 3 away games against teams in the top 8, and 2 home and 2 away against teams in the middle 8 in the league. We have one home game against a team in the bottom 8, (Wigan saturday), whilst they have 1 game against a team from the bottom 8, (QPR away, Wed 13th March).

Quite frankly we need to draw Millwall and Wigan into the fight. However, Wigan's "average" opponent lies in 12.3, and Millwall's in 11.4, so they both have "easier" run-ins.

Again we have a slight advantage over Wigan in that they have 6 of their 11 games left away. Millwall likewise. Hopefully Millwall's FAC exploits will have a detrimental effect on their league form, plus they will have a slightly more congested fixture list.

Clutching at straws? You bet I am!

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 06 Mar 2019 16:20

Bolton V Millwall will go ahead. Ken Anderson has said he will financially support the club until someone else comes in and has instructed payroll to pay salaries and bills to ensure the game goes ahead.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Mar 2019 16:28

strap Ignoring Bolton's tribulations for now, it seems the general perception is that Rotherham's run-in is particularly difficult and so may be our salvation unless we can start winning a few more games.

Sad to say the reality is quit different. If one takes the current league position of all the opponents Rotherham and ourselves have left, (so the last 11 fixtures of the season), the "average" current position of the teams Rotherham has to face is 8.7, whilst ours is 8.9 - so pretty much the same.

The only slight thing in our favour is that we have 6 homes games left and they have 5. We both have 3 home and 3 away games against teams in the top 8, and 2 home and 2 away against teams in the middle 8 in the league. We have one home game against a team in the bottom 8, (Wigan saturday), whilst they have 1 game against a team from the bottom 8, (QPR away, Wed 13th March).

Quite frankly we need to draw Millwall and Wigan into the fight. However, Wigan's "average" opponent lies in 12.3, and Millwall's in 11.4, so they both have "easier" run-ins.

Again we have a slight advantage over Wigan in that they have 6 of their 11 games left away. Millwall likewise. Hopefully Millwall's FAC exploits will have a detrimental effect on their league form, plus they will have a slightly more congested fixture list.

Clutching at straws? You bet I am!

I for one am actually quite relieved Sat is our last game against a direct rival, these are the real pressure games at this time of the season and we've come through okay with 5 points from 3 games, 2 away.

Its difficult to know how hard the run ins are right now as some sides that are now in contention for a play off place suddenly drop out and when you get near to the end of the season sides nailed in the play off positions start to rest key players which could work in our favour against West Brom and Boro.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 09 Mar 2019 08:27

I took the idea of the 'league of six' and, err ran quite far with it. I planned to do the analysis as a post on here but when it got towards 2000 words ( :oops: ) i thought I should pull it into a real blog post. Hopefully this is interesting pre-match reading for some.

For those who have read my long posts on here - its a very xG heavy one. If you hate that stuff, you should probably give it a miss.

TL:DR- The 6 split into 3 groups - the good, the bad and the lucky. Wigan and Millwall look pretty good by xG terms and arguably should be mid table. Expect them to pull away from us before the end of the season. Rotherham are also pretty solid (especially in recent weeks), so are arguably unlucky to currently be in the relegation zone. The other occupants, Ipswich and Bolton, are just bad bad bad. Unfortunately we look pretty lucky to be out of the drop zone for now... which suggests we will fall back in. That said for some reason xG seems to have had little bearing on our results in recent years, so maybe, just maybe we are indeed magic and not just lucky :? .

Mods - I checked the announcements page and couldn't see anything suggesting I'm not supposed to promote my own off-site stuff. Apologies if that is the case.

Meanwhile its 9 minutes past midnight here - goodnight all.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 Mar 2019 13:07

Ok I’ll risk the jinx.

Rotherham a goal down v Sheffield U and just had a player sent off.

Half an hour gone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Mar 2019 14:06

I’m interested in the XG stuff Brain, but like all stats I’m genuinely not sure how useful it really is. It doesn’t seem to correlate that closely with results. Is there a breakdown somewhere of how it is actually worked out? Be genuinely interested to see

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Mar 2019 08:53

Now a league of 6 and all that’s required is a top 3 finish.

Some respite gained after yesterday but the 10 games remaining for Reading are about as hard as it’s possible to get left with in a season. And when you factor in the unbelievable injury list that has bedevilled the club continuously for 2 years now it’s quite remarkable the club is still hanging on in there.

Odds are that this is still going to be going to the wire.

Next 2 rounds of fixtures are

Tuesday 12th March

Blackburn Rovers v Wigan Athletic
Bristol City v Ipswich Town
Bolton Wanderers v Sheffield Wednesday
Reading v Leeds United (red button)

Wednesday 13th March

Birmingham City v Millwall
Queens Park Rangers v Rotherham United

Saturday 16th March

Ipswich Town v Nottingham Forest
Millwall v Bristol City
Rotherham United v Norwich City
Stoke City v Reading
Wigan Athletic v Bolton Wanderers

So a pretty difficult time for all competitors in this small league

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 09:20

League of 5 now surely ?
Either that or it’s a league of 7.
Ipswich are as far adrift from Bolton as we are behind QPR.....

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Mar 2019 10:43

Sutekh Now a league of 6 and all that’s required is a top 3 finish.

Some respite gained after yesterday but the 10 games remaining for Reading are about as hard as it’s possible to get left with in a season. And when you factor in the unbelievable injury list that has bedevilled the club continuously for 2 years now it’s quite remarkable the club is still hanging on in there.

Odds are that this is still going to be going to the wire.

Next 2 rounds of fixtures are

Tuesday 12th March

Blackburn Rovers v Wigan Athletic
Bristol City v Ipswich Town
Bolton Wanderers v Sheffield Wednesday
Reading v Leeds United (red button)

Wednesday 13th March

Birmingham City v Millwall
Queens Park Rangers v Rotherham United

Saturday 16th March

Millwall v Bristol City
Stoke City v Reading

Millwall game off next week, they are still in the FA cup.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2019 16:40

Nameless League of 5 now surely ?

It's a league of six in so far as who can go down. Ipswich are in it because they are going down. QPR aren't because they'd have to lose virtually every game and be overtaken by four others which essentially isnt going to happen.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2019 09:48

windermereROYAL
Sutekh
Saturday 16th March

Millwall v Bristol City
Stoke City v Reading

Millwall game off next week, they are still in the FA cup.

Millwall v Bristol City has now been re-arranged for Tuesday 30th April so they're going to have a game in hand for a fair while.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Mar 2019 10:03

Snowflake Royal

It's a league of six in so far as who can go down. Ipswich are in it because they are going down. QPR aren't because they'd have to lose virtually every game and be overtaken by four others which essentially isnt going to happen.

I think he just means for practicalitys sake there are only 2 relegation positions left as one is nailed on. And QPR could oxf*rd it up if they're not careful. They need to beat the teams below them (which would be great for us)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Mar 2019 10:10

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

I think he just means for practicalitys sake there are only 2 relegation positions left as one is nailed on. And QPR could oxf*rd it up if they're not careful. They need to beat the teams below them (which would be great for us)

If we do the unexpected and beat Leeds tomorrow, then we will only be 4 points behind them. Most likely thing is we don't win, then we spend Weds evening hoping QPR do us a favour and beat Rotherham.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2019 12:07

Sorry, just dont buy QPR getting 3 points or fewer in 10 games whilst Reading, Wigan, Millwall and Rotherham get 8, 8, 10 and 11.

Theyre not in the relegation fight. They may be overtaken by teams in the fight, but then those teams will have escaped it too, not dragged them in.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Mar 2019 12:13

Snowflake Royal Sorry, just dont buy QPR getting 3 points or fewer in 10 games whilst Reading, Wigan, Millwall and Rotherham get 8, 8, 10 and 11.

Theyre not in the relegation fight. They may be overtaken by teams in the fight, but then those teams will have escaped it too, not dragged them in.

They realistically aren't but they are the next target for us for the reasons you state.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Mar 2019 12:34

Snowflake Royal Sorry, just dont buy QPR getting 3 points or fewer in 10 games whilst Reading, Wigan, Millwall and Rotherham get 8, 8, 10 and 11.

Sounds a bit like us on a couple of occasions, we were never in any real danger of going down while it was still mathematically possible.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Mar 2019 12:36

It would be pretty funny though..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2019 12:50

NewCorkSeth

Id laugh my arse off even while the egg was dripping down my face.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Mar 2019 14:04

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Id laugh my arse off even while the egg was dripping down my face.

That ain't egg x

540 posts