BFTG Sheffield United

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Sheffield United

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2019 18:57

Denver Royal
URZZZZ "I'm sure in the future, this sort of performance cannot and will not happen again" - Jose Gomes on the 1st January 2019
One month and fifteen days later, we get a repeat. Early goal conceded, two more before halftime and another early goal in the second half

You have to give Sheffield credit. To say we gave them the win would be naive, they're quicker, stronger and better in all departments. But we could have done a hell of a lot more. I said from the off the team selection was all wrong, and it was. Richards is not a LB, and that midfield three is a disaster

The tactics were all wrong, none of these players know when to stick or twist. The passing was lazy and sloppy, and the second goal was just an embarassment to concede at any level

Ratings

Martinez - Shocking error for the second goal killed any small hope we had 3

Yiadom - one of the better players, but let the crosses come in too easily, a performance for which Gunter would be crucified 5
Miazga - pulled apart too easily time and time again 3
Moore - same as Miazga 3
Richards - should have done better for their first, just isn't good enough as a LB. Missed Blackett there which is saying something 4

Baker - appalling 3
Ejaria - can't see it with him, hasn't played well once yet for us IMO 2
Kelly - N/A

Meite - surprisingly one of the better players today 5
Oliveira - few nice touches but got frustrated 4
Barrow - he's played worse this season but he just doesn't contribute anything anymore 4

Swift - I've never seen a midfielder miscontrol anything as much as him today, he was the worst one out there 1.5
Bodvarsson - looked OK 5
McCleary - actually looked pretty sharp out there 5

There needs to be changes out there for next week. Same back five as before, Richards on the wing and then Bod and Oliveira up front. Other three positions is up for grabs, they're all pretty poor. Fear the win over Blackburn just papered over the cracks, I'm yet to see a good performance under Gomes with the exception of QPR, and even then we didn't do that much in the attacking third

Well played to United though, their style of play is a pleasure to watch, they're quick, incisive and always pick the right option. Norwood and Madine were class for them, fortunately for us their LWB was pretty average or the scoreline could have been worse. They just need to cut out their pre-match comments :wink:

Read this:
Sutekh For the record Martinez sounds as if he pulled a few useful saves out despite his utter ricket and I don't think the defence can actually be blamed too much given the soft midfield stuck in front of them which, in itself, was largely forced on them.

Disagree with many of player ratings.
Back 4 had little chance today.
Martinez has played well overall, except for one dodgy pass in each of his games. Today, if that pass goes to anyone else, not sure its a goal.
Ergo, Kelly is liability in Champ, opposition having a laugh, needs League 1 loan to prove what he's got (if anything).
Squad needs lots of work, we know that. Needs to be adapted to Champ.
Like most everyone else, I expected a loss today anyway (although not like that).
Regroup quickly, tho I'd have taken 3 pts from Black/Sheff games overall, and other results mostly gone our way.
Elm Park Kid The team on the pitch had absolute no belief that they could pull it back, and it's hard to argue that they had any chance. Sheff Utd are a better team than us in most ways.

And they have been last couple seasons. Chris Wilder better manager than we've had?

Ha! Of course you'd blame Kelly for someone elses error. :roll:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Feb 2019 19:03

Away performance against one of the best team in the division we were never going to get anything from.

Early goal, ricochet. 4-0 defeat.

Big deal.

Heads up.

We move on.

Let’s concentrate on the important matches. WNG.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 16 Feb 2019 19:04

Seeing as I got lolwut'd when I said I was unconvinced about having Martinez, today is exactly what I've been worried about.

Great shotstopper and claims crosses well, but Jakkola was decent enough at that side of things . This idea of having a keeper because they are good with the ball at their feet.... Fukk that at this level. The way he plays will cost us a couple of games each season (nearly cost us a goal against Blackburn) so that is a lot of shotstopping to make up those points

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 16 Feb 2019 19:07

Snowflake Royal Ha! Of course you'd blame Kelly for someone elses error. :roll:

Why the 'of course', and rolling of eyes?
I didn't actually blame Kelly.
I said Martinez made a dodgy pass, and has done in all his games.
But yes, imo, if that pass happens to go to someone other than Kelly, I'm not sure its a goal.
You disagree with that, that's fine.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Feb 2019 19:16

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal Ha! Of course you'd blame Kelly for someone elses error. :roll:

Why the 'of course', and rolling of eyes?
I didn't actually blame Kelly.
I said Martinez made a dodgy pass, and has done in all his games.
But yes, imo, if that pass happens to go to someone other than Kelly, I'm not sure its a goal.
You disagree with that, that's fine.

Then Kelly needs to make the decision for him and push up the pitch.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Feb 2019 19:17

John Madejski's Wallet Seeing as I got lolwut'd when I said I was unconvinced about having Martinez, today is exactly what I've been worried about.

Great shotstopper and claims crosses well, but Jakkola was decent enough at that side of things . This idea of having a keeper because they are good with the ball at their feet.... Fukk that at this level. The way he plays will cost us a couple of games each season (nearly cost us a goal against Blackburn) so that is a lot of shotstopping to make up those points

Yep. Jaakkola is also a decent shot stopper too. None of our keepers have enough sense to pass the ball out when it’s safe to do so. I have lost count of the number of times the pass short has been made to a marked player under pressure. It’s idiotic.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Feb 2019 19:52

Martinez is certainly better with the ball at his feet than the others

Like I said after Blackburn - for me, playing short passing is no more risky than just hoofing the ball into the oppo CBs head time and time again. It just looks worse

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2019 20:09

Hound Martinez is certainly better with the ball at his feet than the others

Like I said after Blackburn - for me, playing short passing is no more risky than just hoofing the ball into the oppo CBs head time and time again. It just looks worse

With the exception being that the opposition CB or whoever he heads it to isn't then immediately yards from goal, probably in space and with a great chance to have a shot.

And decent kicks don't go near a CB anyway. They go to the flank between fullback and winger.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Feb 2019 20:18

Snowflake Royal

With the exception being that the opposition CB or whoever he heads it to isn't then immediately yards from goal, probably in space and with a great chance to have a shot.

And decent kicks don't go near a CB anyway. They go to the flank between fullback and winger.

Sheffield do it perfectly, two of their three CB's pull out wide to create those options, then Norwood tucks in if the centre is free, and then their other CB pushes forward if the short options are marked

Us, on the other hand, play passes to marked players putting them under pressure or hoof it to our smallest player. That's a mixture of either the players not having any spine to make their own choices or more likely they have no idea what they're doing because they're not good enough to play this way

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Feb 2019 20:23

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Sheffield do it perfectly, two of their three CB's pull out wide to create those options, then Norwood tucks in if the centre is free, and then their other CB pushes forward if the short options are marked

Us, on the other hand, play passes to marked players putting them under pressure or hoof it to our smallest player. That's a mixture of either the players not having any spine to make their own choices or more likely they have no idea what they're doing because they're not good enough to play this way

Yep it’s about doing it well. Sometimes we do it well, other times we are a complete shambles at it. I can’t remember us actually conceding from it other than today for a while (and convinced that was a foul)

Its rare it actually ends in the oppo having a shot - at worse it’s normally a throw in or similar

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 16 Feb 2019 22:25

I Remember loads on here used to castigate Norwood when he was playing for us.
You need to be careful what you wish for.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Feb 2019 22:27

2 world wars, 1 world cup We move on.

Discussing the same issues as we had 60 games ago.

Seemingly with a decreasing number of options available.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Feb 2019 04:20

MR. CYNICAL I Remember loads on here used to castigate Norwood when he was playing for us.

That's because, bar a few long range crackers, for the most part he was shit.

Like most of the Sheffield United team he's a bit of a broken toy who has been brought in as a part of a very good team who play some nice football.

Individually they aren't anything special but Wilder has made them a team. Which is more than can be said for our sorry rabble.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2019 06:49

sandman
MR. CYNICAL I Remember loads on here used to castigate Norwood when he was playing for us.

Like most of the Sheffield United team he's a bit of a broken toy who has been brought in as a part of a very good team who play some nice football.

Individually they aren't anything special but Wilder has made them a team. Which is more than can be said for our sorry rabble.

+1

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 17 Feb 2019 07:25

Hound
sandman

+1

+1
Yeah, revisionist nonsense from Mr C there. Norwood was soft

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 17 Feb 2019 07:49

We need Andy Rinomhota and hopefully Saeid Ezatolahi back from injury quickly.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 17 Feb 2019 07:57

Royals and Racers We need Andy Rinomhota and hopefully Saeid Ezatolahi back from injury quickly.

We need divine intervention.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2019 08:18

But at least with hoofing it long the oppo aren’t getting the ball back 20 foot from your own goal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2019 08:22

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hound
sandman

+1

+1
Yeah, revisionist nonsense from Mr C there. Norwood was soft

The team was make up was the problem and some of you just can't recognise a good playmaker. Did well at Brighton. Doing well at Sheff U. Did well before us. The problem was Reading not Norwood.

Swift and co make Norwood look like granite.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2019 08:47

Sutekh

But at least with hoofing it long the oppo aren’t getting the ball back 20 foot from your own goal.

They quite often do if the defender wins the header. Maybe not 20ft, but 20 metres