Rinhomota

Ranty McRantface

Re: Rinhomota

by Ranty McRantface » 17 Feb 2019 23:47

Denver Royal
Lower West O'Shea has played in midfield for Man Utd in the past. For all his lack of mobility. Would read the game well. Nor does he have to be that active. Makele as an example basically stayed in the centre circle. When providing defensive cover in his Chelsea days.

LW, yep, was pondering if he’s an option somewhere. Obv not ideal, but it’s all relative to the predicament we’re currently in. As you rightly say, he does read the game well, and think his height could be useful. As I say, would imagine any and all options are on the table at this point. One way or another, whatever’s gone before, have to try and find a way to get the 3 pts on Sat.

Are you being serious?!

Jesus. So factually yes he has played in midfield in desperate times for Manchester Utd years and years ago. The fact now is he is old, slow and despite all his experience has not played there for a long time. If you're assuming he can just use his mind to tackle people then good luck with that. A player can have all the experience in the world but if he doesn't have the mobility to do it then it is absolutely pointless.

You also seem to be forgetting he had world class players around him to support him when he had to play in midfield.. we do not.

I'm sorry but I just find this suggestion to play John O'Shea in midfield quite short sighted and pretty damn ridiculous.

biff

by biff » 18 Feb 2019 00:07

:shock: :shock: :shock:

The most ludicrous suggestion I think I've ever seen on here. Would prefer the grumpy old troll woman from the east stand bar.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Feb 2019 00:27

Ranty McRantface
Denver Royal
Lower West O'Shea has played in midfield for Man Utd in the past. For all his lack of mobility. Would read the game well. Nor does he have to be that active. Makele as an example basically stayed in the centre circle. When providing defensive cover in his Chelsea days.

LW, yep, was pondering if he’s an option somewhere. Obv not ideal, but it’s all relative to the predicament we’re currently in. As you rightly say, he does read the game well, and think his height could be useful. As I say, would imagine any and all options are on the table at this point. One way or another, whatever’s gone before, have to try and find a way to get the 3 pts on Sat.

Are you being serious?!

Jesus. So factually yes he has played in midfield in desperate times for Manchester Utd years and years ago. The fact now is he is old, slow and despite all his experience has not played there for a long time. If you're assuming he can just use his mind to tackle people then good luck with that. A player can have all the experience in the world but if he doesn't have the mobility to do it then it is absolutely pointless.

You also seem to be forgetting he had world class players around him to support him when he had to play in midfield.. we do not.

I'm sorry but I just find this suggestion to play John O'Shea in midfield quite short sighted and pretty damn ridiculous.

Yeah, no worries.
It’s not the first time O’Shea’s name has come up for Sat, actually. I wasn’t necessarily saying he should start in midfield myself. Given our predicament, imagine for such a crucial game, opinion is going to vary re. our Sat lineup, and some will be shot down. As always, I’ll be interested in the suggestions and the reasons, regardless. What would your lineup be?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 18 Feb 2019 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Feb 2019 00:42

What about Miazga in front of back four? Moore and Blackett at centre back. Take your pick from Richards Yiadom and Gunter.

I don't think he's played there but at least he knows how to tackle

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 18 Feb 2019 07:50

Denver Royal
Ranty McRantface
Denver Royal LW, yep, was pondering if he’s an option somewhere. Obv not ideal, but it’s all relative to the predicament we’re currently in. As you rightly say, he does read the game well, and think his height could be useful. As I say, would imagine any and all options are on the table at this point. One way or another, whatever’s gone before, have to try and find a way to get the 3 pts on Sat.

Are you being serious?!

Yeah, no worries.
It’s not the first time O’Shea’s name has come up for Sat, actually. I wasn’t necessarily saying he should start in midfield myself. Given our predicament, imagine for such a crucial game, opinion is going to vary re. our Sat lineup, and some will be shot down. As always, I’ll be interested in the suggestions and the reasons, regardless. What would your lineup be?

Totally get what's at stake and the type of opponent means we will 100% need steel in the middle.

Rotherham are pretty direct and will no doubt go long at every opportunity. Personally I would play O'Shea in a back 3 for this game... Like this.

................. Martinez..............

Yiadom..Moore..O'Shea..Miazga..Richards

................... Swift..... Baker...........

.......Harriot..........................Gmac...
....................... Oliveria......

I would also stick East and Barret on the bench for this one too. East can play Central midfield and Barret for his physical presence could do a job if needs be.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Feb 2019 09:17

Given our options and how our midfield performed on saturday - Swift and Baker are not up to the task. We have no other option though. Rather O'Shea plays at CB.
Gomes has to drop the midfield passing / possession game due to having no CM suitable and go to get it out wide and fast game plan.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Feb 2019 09:48

something needs doing

drifting into these key games with that powder puff midfield is suicide.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Feb 2019 09:56

Maneki Neko something needs doing

drifting into these key games with that powder puff midfield is suicide.

The problem is we have no choice but to due to the players we have sold. We were already a little short of CDM talent before the sale of Bacuna yet we sold him and go nothing in to replace him. Not sure what we have in our Under 23's in terms of CDM's but I'd suggest whoever the best one is will be playing this Saturday.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Feb 2019 10:14

This is why we are losing games and yet it seems to be overlooked by manager after manager.

It's highlighted whenever we field swift and Kelly together and further evidenced by how much better even our shit side against Hull looked when eza played.

For me llori would have been perfect. A quick tackler and where errors are less likely to result in a goal.

Now I think our best option is shift a CB there maybe Moore with oshea in defence. Perhaps blackett. Ideally get someone in on loan however.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 18 Feb 2019 10:38

Hahaha, John O Shea in midfield, to replace the box to box Rino. :D :D :D :D :D

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Feb 2019 10:43

Mentioning O'Shea and Makélélé in the same post.

Suggesting O'Shea should be anywhere near the team, let alone in midfield.

Clueless.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Feb 2019 10:47

O'Shea if played needs to be at CB, Rotherham will pump balls into the box, he will read this and can be trusted to deal with it.
The amount of CM moved on and not replaced is criminal though. A few loans to paper over chasms of issues. Christ, we have been relying EZa to come back for months now and still not to be seen anywhere near the team - yet Meyler, Bacuna, Clement, Edwards leave???
Baker to me just is not good enough. Ejaria is inconsistent at best but could also be out injured.....

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Feb 2019 10:47

I would move Moore there and bring in Blackett at CB. I can't see any other sensible option if none of the injured players are fit.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Feb 2019 11:01

Wycombe Royal I would move Moore there and bring in Blackett at CB. I can't see any other sensible option if none of the injured players are fit.

I'd rather Oshea at the back and Moore as a dm. Blackett is too error prone. As far as I can remember oshea hasn't had any clangers.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Feb 2019 11:02

Coppells Lost Coat O'Shea if played needs to be at CB, Rotherham will pump balls into the box, he will read this and can be trusted to deal with it.
The amount of CM moved on and not replaced is criminal though. A few loans to paper over chasms of issues. Christ, we have been relying EZa to come back for months now and still not to be seen anywhere near the team - yet Meyler, Bacuna, Clement, Edwards leave???
Baker to me just is not good enough. Ejaria is inconsistent at best but could also be out injured.....

We've brought in plenty and have plenty of CMs. Is just defensive ones we have none of. Which has been an issue since Williams left and costs you massively at this level. We just walked through in the middle. Basically every goal I can think of us conceding is a result of this i.e Blackburn goal.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Feb 2019 11:12

Bringing in a random youth player is absolutely not the right option. There's a reason Barrett has been with us for three/four years and has got no-where near the squad. There's a reason Barrett wasn't even making the bench of a league two team last year. People calling him to start one of our biggest games for a long idea is a bit naive IMO. The same people wanting Sam Smith to start last season when he's a bang average striker at best

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Feb 2019 11:31

URZZZZ Bringing in a random youth player is absolutely not the right option. There's a reason Barrett has been with us for three/four years and has got no-where near the squad. There's a reason Barrett wasn't even making the bench of a league two team last year. People calling him to start one of our biggest games for a long idea is a bit naive IMO. The same people wanting Sam Smith to start last season when he's a bang average striker at best

The other options are;
Play a CB there which haven't shown ability to play that role?
Play a loan player that hasn't impressed?
Play a weak creative midfielder there?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2019 11:52

Jagermesiter1871
Coppells Lost Coat O'Shea if played needs to be at CB, Rotherham will pump balls into the box, he will read this and can be trusted to deal with it.

We've brought in plenty and have plenty of CMs. Is just defensive ones we have none of. Which has been an issue since Williams left and costs you massively at this level. We just walked through in the middle. Basically every goal I can think of us conceding is a result of this i.e Blackburn goal.

We had the same problem when Williams was here. He was a decent player but certainly wasn't a proper defensive midfielder. He just wanted to run through the middle and shoot from distance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2019 11:54

URZZZZ Bringing in a random youth player is absolutely not the right option. There's a reason Barrett has been with us for three/four years and has got no-where near the squad. There's a reason Barrett wasn't even making the bench of a league two team last year. People calling him to start one of our biggest games for a long idea is a bit naive IMO. The same people wanting Sam Smith to start last season when he's a bang average striker at best

Barrett is the weirdest suggestion I've heard. He may be fairly stocky, but he's another flaky attacking midfielder... Not a proper central or defensive midfielder.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Feb 2019 12:28

blackett is the best option imo

hes been better this season error wise, and id still prefer an error in midfield than the defence.
hes got a bit of everything you need tbf, athletic, can pass, and defend