BFTG Ipswich

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Ipswich

by Denver Royal » 04 Mar 2019 15:12

Stranded
Denver Royal
Sutekh Key thing though is that Wigan and Millwall have now been dragged right into it (and even more so if Derby can actually win a game tomorrow) so, for a while at least, what Rotherham do isn't the be and end all.

Yep, the more teams in the mix, the better our chances.
We're obv going to lose some games, and hope fans stay on-side when we do.
Millwall's run-in looks brutal. Neil Harris may have been gone by now at any other club.
Rovrum now unbeaten in 6 which has hurt, but their run-in is tough, too.

Rotherham being unbeaten in 6 hasn't hurt us at all really. Over that 6 games, they've picked up 8 points - over the same period, we've taken 9. The only thing that hurt us in any way was our draw with them.

Well, I'd say 8 points is more than I figured they'd get in that span, and it would have been better for us if they hadn't. Anything less would have helped us, and we'd be several points clear of them now. In their last 6:

Millwall A - is/was a tough place to go, thought they'd lose
Hull A - same
Wed H - thought they'd lose, Wed looked Ok vs. us, Bruce effect
Reading A - many thought we'd win that
Blackburn H - thought they'd draw

Not saying they are on some overly impressive streak or anything, and they obv would have wanted more, but just that they got a few more points in those 6 games than I figured, that’s all. If you thought they'd get 8 pts or more, that's fine. Anyway.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 04 Mar 2019 16:59, edited 3 times in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2019 15:24

John Smith
Stranded
Silver Fox
Not quite, as everyone has one fewer game left we're slightly better off than we were on Friday

Exactly this.

Also think of the impact at Rotherham, at the 83rd minute they were scoring to go 3-1 up whilst Ipswich were equalising against us - so they were moving out of the bottom 3 - on 90 mins all their hard work meant virtually nowt as they are exactly where they were.

Of course, what has changed is that Millwall and Wigan are fully in the mire. Both teams have 3 away games up next - you wouldn't expect them to pick up many points from those. One of them could easily be in the bottom 3 by the international break.

Nonsense. We are no better off now than we were on Saturday morning. The table says so.

If you choose to ignore all of Ipswich, Bolton, Millwall and Wigan, this is very true.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2019 15:26

Rotherham's last 9 have been:

Ipswich (a)
Brentford (h)
Leeds (h)
Millwall (a)
Wigan (h)
Hull (a)
Sheff Wed (h)
Reading (a)
Blackburn (h)

They've got 8 points from that lot. Realistically if they go down, despite 6 unbeaten sounding quite good, they'll prob look at that run and think thats where they lost it. Probably would have realistically wanted at least 12-13 from it.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Mar 2019 16:32

Hound Rotherham's last 9 have been:

Ipswich (a)
Brentford (h)
Leeds (h)
Millwall (a)
Wigan (h)
Hull (a)
Sheff Wed (h)
Reading (a)
Blackburn (h)

They've got 8 points from that lot. Realistically if they go down, despite 6 unbeaten sounding quite good, they'll prob look at that run and think thats where they lost it. Probably would have realistically wanted at least 12-13 from it.

Hound, you're celebrating before we're even safe. Very dangerous from you.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2019 16:35

doing nothing of the sort JS. Id put our survival at about 50/50 at the moment. I fear Rotherham will probably end the season fairly strongly and our April is gruesome. They know their game and their basic football can get results

Just saying their recent form isn't as impressive as might be suggested

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Mar 2019 16:58

Hound doing nothing of the sort JS. Id put our survival at about 50/50 at the moment. I fear Rotherham will probably end the season fairly strongly and our April is gruesome. They know their game and their basic football can get results

Yeah a bit of a non story here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2019 17:57

Stranded
John Smith
Stranded
Exactly this.

Also think of the impact at Rotherham, at the 83rd minute they were scoring to go 3-1 up whilst Ipswich were equalising against us - so they were moving out of the bottom 3 - on 90 mins all their hard work meant virtually nowt as they are exactly where they were.

Of course, what has changed is that Millwall and Wigan are fully in the mire. Both teams have 3 away games up next - you wouldn't expect them to pick up many points from those. One of them could easily be in the bottom 3 by the international break.

Nonsense. We are no better off now than we were on Saturday morning. The table says so.

We are 3 points and +1 GD better off. The table says so.

It also says there are more games played, so less left to play. So exactly what you said originally

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Mar 2019 18:02

Hound doing nothing of the sort JS. Id put our survival at about 50/50 at the moment. I fear Rotherham will probably end the season fairly strongly and our April is gruesome. They know their game and their basic football can get results

Rotherham have a very tough March. We have to make that count. Oliveira is a big concern. Low saying he may be out for a month which would mean he misses four games. The problem being none of our players ever come back on time.
Rinomhota still wearing a protective boot so he certainly won’t be back until after the international break.
Let’s hope Martinez is fit for Wigan.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Mar 2019 01:56

Zip

Rotherham have a very tough March. We have to make that count. Oliveira is a big concern. Low saying he may be out for a month which would mean he misses four games. The problem being none of our players ever come back on time.
Rinomhota still wearing a protective boot so he certainly won’t be back until after the international break.

Rotherham will stay up IMO, they're woeful but have a knack of drawing games they should lose, take our two games for example. Add to that they're 6 unbeaten, and are complete underdogs which will help them

Actually don't think their March is that bad, two of the top teams but then two teams in horrific form, Derby are known bottlejobs round March/April time, you only have to remember the Millwall game :evil: Still think QPR may be dragged into it as well, their game against Rotherham on the 12th March is a massive one, lose that and the gap's only 6 for them

IMO it's 2 from us, Bolton and Wigan, Bolton do look adrift but they have 5 easier games in a row now which will be a big indication of their future. Feel their external factors may help us though

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Mar 2019 10:45

URZZZZ Rotherham will stay up IMO, they're woeful but have a knack of drawing games they should lose, take our two games for example. Add to that they're 6 unbeaten, and are complete underdogs which will help them

Actually don't think their March is that bad, two of the top teams but then two teams in horrific form, Derby are known bottlejobs round March/April time, you only have to remember the Millwall game :evil: Still think QPR may be dragged into it as well, their game against Rotherham on the 12th March is a massive one, lose that and the gap's only 6 for them

IMO it's 2 from us, Bolton and Wigan, Bolton do look adrift but they have 5 easier games in a row now which will be a big indication of their future. Feel their external factors may help us though

I think I'll struggle to read more drivel on this entire forum than that post.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Mar 2019 11:09

URZZZZ
Zip

Rotherham will stay up IMO, they're woeful but have a knack of drawing games they should lose, take our two games for example. Add to that they're 6 unbeaten, and are complete underdogs which will help them

If Bolton are going to stand any chance of pulling off another great escape, they have to win at the weekend. Their opponents? Millwall.

Millwall are in shocking form - they had a great run over Xmas/New Year where they won 3 on the bounce (us, Forest & Ipswich) but since then - they have 1 win in 9 - that "shock win" at Derby.

So if Bolton do win then Millwall are deep in the brown stuff, to the extent that they could be in the bottom 3 come 5pm Saturday. Their form is such that if Millwall do drop into the bottom 3, I'm not sure they have enough to get back out. They remind me of us last year in that sense, scratching around hoping to just to do enough but not having the fight to turn it around if they really need to.

On the flip, if Bolton don't win, then we can be fairly comfortable that we are out of reach esp. if we do manage to get back to back wins this weekend.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Mar 2019 11:46

URZZZZ
Zip

Rotherham will stay up IMO....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Mar 2019 11:47

John Smith
URZZZZ Rotherham will stay up IMO, they're woeful but have a knack of drawing games they should lose, take our two games for example. Add to that they're 6 unbeaten, and are complete underdogs which will help them

Probably just want to click on your own post history m9.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Mar 2019 11:48

Stranded
URZZZZ
Zip

If Bolton are going to stand any chance of pulling off another great escape, they have to win at the weekend. Their opponents? Millwall.

Millwall are in shocking form - they had a great run over Xmas/New Year where they won 3 on the bounce (us, Forest & Ipswich) but since then - they have 1 win in 9 - that "shock win" at Derby.

So if Bolton do win then Millwall are deep in the brown stuff, to the extent that they could be in the bottom 3 come 5pm Saturday. Their form is such that if Millwall do drop into the bottom 3, I'm not sure they have enough to get back out. They remind me of us last year in that sense, scratching around hoping to just to do enough but not having the fight to turn it around if they really need to.

On the flip, if Bolton don't win, then we can be fairly comfortable that we are out of reach esp. if we do manage to get back to back wins this weekend.

I know this is all speculation but I can't agree with you about Millwall's chances of survival.
They are a team renowned for their fight (not just the team :wink: )and I can see them scrapping for enough points to stay out of the bottom 3.
Bolton are the same but, because of external matters and limited squad, I fear (don't really want it to happen to Parky but if it is them or us) they will join Ipswich.

We , however are not renowned for our fighting spirit but the loan signings may well have a stronger mentality than most of our existing players so, as long as Nelson doesn't miss too many games, we might just stay up.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Mar 2019 11:52

Hendo
John Smith

Probably just want to click on your own post history m9.

Not really, Hendo.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Mar 2019 13:19

Victor Meldrew

I know this is all speculation but I can't agree with you about Millwall's chances of survival.
They are a team renowned for their fight (not just the team :wink: )and I can see them scrapping for enough points to stay out of the bottom 3.
Bolton are the same but, because of external matters and limited squad, I fear (don't really want it to happen to Parky but if it is them or us) they will join Ipswich.

We , however are not renowned for our fighting spirit but the loan signings may well have a stronger mentality than most of our existing players so, as long as Nelson doesn't miss too many games, we might just stay up.

Fair enough. Millwall as a club are reknowned for having fight - I'm not too sure this team does - they have managed to get back into games of late and then promptly collapsed, or just collapsed - 0-3 v Preston in 27mins, get to 1-1 at Hull and conceded almost immediately, 1-1 v Norwich and let in 2 late ones, gave away a 90th min pen at Boro to drop 2 points.

On New Year's day they were a comfortable 8 points clear of us, that is now 1 point. They need to find a league win from somewhere and if they don't get it on Saturday then may struggle to find it quickly enough.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Mar 2019 13:31

Stranded
Victor Meldrew

Fair enough. Millwall as a club are reknowned for having fight - I'm not too sure this team does - they have managed to get back into games of late and then promptly collapsed, or just collapsed - 0-3 v Preston in 27mins, get to 1-1 at Hull and conceded almost immediately, 1-1 v Norwich and let in 2 late ones, gave away a 90th min pen at Boro to drop 2 points.

On New Year's day they were a comfortable 8 points clear of us, that is now 1 point. They need to find a league win from somewhere and if they don't get it on Saturday then may struggle to find it quickly enough.

The examples that you have given are for games against top half and/or form teams so possibly not a true reflection of their abilities-remember they knocked Everton out of the FA Cup.
I have no axe to grind about Millwall but I just don't share your optimism that they will be in the bottom 3 come the end of the season.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 05 Mar 2019 13:37

Victor Meldrew
Stranded
URZZZZ

Not sure a team that has been yo-yoing between L1 and the Championship recently can really be described as 'having fight'... :?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Mar 2019 14:21

Victor Meldrew
Stranded
Victor Meldrew

The examples that you have given are for games against top half and/or form teams so possibly not a true reflection of their abilities-remember they knocked Everton out of the FA Cup.
I have no axe to grind about Millwall but I just don't share your optimism that they will be in the bottom 3 come the end of the season.

Didn't say they would be, just wouldn't be surprised if they were - one off cup games are never a good indicator of a sides actual ability.

I just don't think it is a coincidence that their league form tailing off has essentially conincided with their cup run. It may do them good to lose to Brighton on the 17th else their attention may well not be on the relegation battle they are very much in.

They do remind me a lot of 2nd season with Stam, not in playing style but the fact they exceeded expectations last year to finish 8th and are now struggling to find even a modicum of that form again.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Mar 2019 09:14

Stranded
2 world wars, 1 world cup I wonder if everyone would be getting the same high ratings had Barrow not scored or had one of their chances paid off.

Sorry for the downer but seemed like typical Reading. Go one up, totally balls and and let them back in with a late goal. Stupid passing out from the back needlessly inviting pressure. Luck shined on us as we took our late chance and they didn't theirs.

At 1-1 some would have been calling for Gomes' head.

Far from convincing but of course a much needed win.

The letting in of late goals is a worrying theme - on the plus side, we've gone on to win 2 of those games recently which shows there is a bit more confidence and belief in this side now - we had he chances to score a late winner against Rotherham too but couldn't quite nick it.

We don't need to be convincing this season, we just need points. Happy for us to be outplayed for 89 mins as long we score 1 more than the other lot do. Anything else can wait til next season.

True.