Gomes after 10 League Games

252 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes after 10 League Games

by Hound » 18 Mar 2019 09:59

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Hound Brentford are wildly inconsistent but they’ve certainly lost a few recently. Brum are shit and really should be beaten

You’d hope to get draws against Hull, Brizzle, Preston maybe Boro

It’ll almost certainly be tight but there are games that are perfectly winnable

Why would we hope to be getting anything against teams in the playoffs away from home? We may as well completely write them off, not going to get anything at Bristol City or Middlesbrough with the players we have available.

Because we need to and Bristol City's from has taken a dive over the past 6 games - just 1 win in that time. If Ipswich can get a point there we have to fancy our chances.

Same with Hull - they are not playing well - 16th or 17th on form over the past 8 to 10 games - they are up there due to an excellent run in the middle of the season but seem to be returning to the mean now - it is a winnable game.

Not saying we will win them but those 2 in particular are games we should not be writing off. The only right off in my mind is Norwich - our record there is pretty poor of late anyway and this year they are actually good.

Yep exactly. Bristol and Hull were both pi$s poor at the Madejski, and seem to have come to the end of their 'streaks' which put them where they are. Hull were absolutely awful against Rotherham when I watched that second half. Seem to be massively reliant on Bowen. BC go from being brilliant to useless at the flick of a switch

Boro are not a happy bunch at all. They struggle to score goals and I could see another 0-0

I'd be disappointed to lose any of them really.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Mar 2019 10:06

Hound
Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Why would we hope to be getting anything against teams in the playoffs away from home? We may as well completely write them off, not going to get anything at Bristol City or Middlesbrough with the players we have available.

Because we need to and Bristol City's from has taken a dive over the past 6 games - just 1 win in that time. If Ipswich can get a point there we have to fancy our chances.

Same with Hull - they are not playing well - 16th or 17th on form over the past 8 to 10 games - they are up there due to an excellent run in the middle of the season but seem to be returning to the mean now - it is a winnable game.

Not saying we will win them but those 2 in particular are games we should not be writing off. The only right off in my mind is Norwich - our record there is pretty poor of late anyway and this year they are actually good.

Yep exactly. Bristol and Hull were both pi$s poor at the Madejski, and seem to have come to the end of their 'streaks' which put them where they are. Hull were absolutely awful against Rotherham when I watched that second half. Seem to be massively reliant on Bowen. BC go from being brilliant to useless at the flick of a switch

Boro are not a happy bunch at all. They struggle to score goals and I could see another 0-0

I'd be disappointed to lose any of them really.

Yep Boro on a run of 3 straight defeats (leaking 7 goals in the process) and no win in 4 with Norwich up next. They could easily be outside the play-off places after the next round of games.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Mar 2019 20:58

Talking about OGs

99% of the time I consider them as scoring goals. Most come from attacks, pressure, balls across the box etc

All part of the game

I wonder if any side has won two games in a season to nil via an OG

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Mar 2019 19:59

Re-Visit

1-4 Swansea
2-0 Forest
1-2 Derby
1-1 Bolton
0-0 Villa
0-0 Wednesday. (6 pts from 1-6) LWLDDD
2-1 Blackburn. (9 from 2-7) WLDDDW
0-4 Sheffield Utd (6 from 3-8) LDDDWL

1-1 Rotherham. (7 from 4-9) DDDWLD
2-1 Ipswich. (9 from 5-10) DDWLDW
3-2 Wigan (11 points from games 6-11) DWLDWW
0-3 Leeds (10 points from games 7-12) WLDWWL
0-0 Stoke (8 points from games 8-13) LDWWLD
2-1 Preston (11 points from games 9-14) DWWLDW

17 Points from last 12 games 1.42 ppg (65 point season equivalent)
16 Points from last 10 games 1.60 ppg (74 point season equivalent)
15 points from last 09 games 1.66 ppg (77 point season equivalent)
14 points from last 08 games 1.75 ppg (81 point season equivalent)
11 Points from last 06 games 1.83 ppg (85 point season equivalent)

And let's not forget that we played Leeds and Preston in this most recent 6-game spell

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2019 21:43

Snowball Re-Visit

1-4 Swansea
2-0 Forest
1-2 Derby
1-1 Bolton
0-0 Villa
0-0 Wednesday. (6 pts from 1-6) LWLDDD
2-1 Blackburn. (9 from 2-7) WLDDDW
0-4 Sheffield Utd (6 from 3-8) LDDDWL

1-1 Rotherham. (7 from 4-9) DDDWLD
2-1 Ipswich. (9 from 5-10) DDWLDW
3-2 Wigan (11 points from games 6-11) DWLDWW
0-3 Leeds (10 points from games 7-12) WLDWWL
0-0 Stoke (8 points from games 8-13) LDWWLD
2-1 Preston (11 points from games 9-14) DWWLDW

17 Points from last 12 games 1.42 ppg (65 point season equivalent)
16 Points from last 10 games 1.60 ppg (74 point season equivalent)
15 points from last 09 games 1.66 ppg (77 point season equivalent)
14 points from last 08 games 1.75 ppg (81 point season equivalent)
11 Points from last 06 games 1.83 ppg (85 point season equivalent)

And let's not forget that we played Leeds and Preston in this most recent 6-game spell

20 points from our last 13 since the Swansea game. That’s play off form.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Mar 2019 22:08

So we've got our second 20 points in half the number of games it took us to get our first 20.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2019 22:15

From Despair To Where? So we've got our second 20 points in half the number of games it took us to get our first 20.

Good spot. That’s how much Gomes has turned it around.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Mar 2019 00:19

Yeah fair fcuks to him.

Just shows what the football experts on the TB know.

You know who you are.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Mar 2019 11:59

Have to say Gomes has massively surprised me

Not in how successful we have been so far (but yes that is a nice surprise), but how the team has played

From the very little I knew of him, I was expecting us to be open, expansive and weak at the back. We’re totally different to that though. We look very solid, and he appreciates the need to have physicality throughout the side. We definitely build from a solid base and actually counter well rather than just dominate possession and play pretty football

I reckon he really researched for this role. He has prioritised defence, team spirit, being solid at set pieces. And we all massively underestimated that

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Mar 2019 13:11

Managing in England is clearly a passion project for him. So yeah, I'm sure he's put in ludicrous hours of background work on us and what to do.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Mar 2019 15:23

Snowflake Royal Managing in England is clearly a passion project for him. So yeah, I'm sure he's put in ludicrous hours of background work on us and what to do.

Which isn't really a shock to me, and it's good that he has, given that one of the knocks on him was that he (allegedly) didn't know anything about footy in England and/or the Champ.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 31 Mar 2019 16:05

leon Yeah fair fcuks to him.

Just shows what the football experts on the TB know.

You know who you are.

Yeah hand up.

Thought he was a bad appointment and his early style, results and subs seemed utter vvank to me. Cannot fault the renewed atmosphere around the camp tight now. There's actually dome optimism, I'd forgotten what that was

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 31 Mar 2019 16:59

Needed to get wins to back the positivity.

Has got wins.

Excellent.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Mar 2019 20:39

Face Value, his CV looked, at best, meh.

The kudos should go to the person or persons who
saw beyond the bare bones and recognised the man's
quality and brought him in.

EDIT

All WE had was that cv, and there is no way most of
us would have looked beyond the cv. Of course we
aren't professional scouts etc

We don't know the ins-and-outs of what went on at
his various clubs, which ones were basket-cases etc.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Mar 2019 20:51

Wasn't sure when we first appointed him and was having doubts after the borefests against Villa and Wednesday. But we've picked it up since then, still not 100% convinced but he seems able to adapt (i.e. only having 37% of possession yesterday), which is a lot better than some of our former managers who were completely fixated in one mindset of playing

Plus he's made some good signings. I'd give Martinez and Miazga a solid 8/10, with the others 6 or 7/10, Baker and Ejaria took a bit of time to adapt but have impressed recently, in particular Baker

He's got more out of Swift than the previous two managers. The structure and balance are consistent. And he likes to give youth a chance, even though it didn't necessarily work, it can only be a positive in the long run.

He has things to learn. Bringing on O'Shea against Rotherham was a poor call and he did the same yesterday with McShane. He rotates the wingers too much for my liking. But on the whole, he's done a good job after a slowish start and I think we could go places with him in charge, as long as he continues to adapt to the high demand of the Championship

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Mar 2019 20:56

I'm obviously not certain but I think he rotates the wingers because he's not convinced by any of them (bar maybe Meite)
I like Barrow. A lot more than the fans on Twitter seem too but I recognise he has flaws in his game. Harriott has looked a real try-er since getting back and I'm happy with him but he's not exactly nailed down a place. McCleary is frustrating at the moment. He does something great then bottles the next.

I get the rotation. He's looking for someone to step up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Mar 2019 20:59

URZZZZ Wasn't sure when we first appointed him and was having doubts after the borefests against Villa and Wednesday. But we've picked it up since then, still not 100% convinced but he seems able to adapt (i.e. only having 37% of possession yesterday), which is a lot better than some of our former managers who were completely fixated in one mindset of playing

Plus he's made some good signings. I'd give Martinez and Miazga a solid 8/10, with the others 6 or 7/10, Baker and Ejaria took a bit of time to adapt but have impressed recently, in particular Baker

He's got more out of Swift than the previous two managers. The structure and balance are consistent. And he likes to give youth a chance, even though it didn't necessarily work, it can only be a positive in the long run.

He has things to learn. Bringing on O'Shea against Rotherham was a poor call and he did the same yesterday with McShane. He rotates the wingers too much for my liking. But on the whole, he's done a good job after a slowish start and I think we could go places with him in charge, as long as he continues to adapt to the high demand of the Championship

Not sure how much credit he gets for the signings, what he does get is huge credit for the way he has got the signings to play like they are not just short term loans ! Not easy to do that with 5 players, while turning round a failing team, in a country that is new to you, while getting rid of players you don’t want, with no budget.

He did explain the O’Shea sub. At least it was done for good reasons, even if it didn’t work ! No idea about McShane unless it was to prove McShane is not the answer and justify including McIntyre on the bench for the rest of the season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Mar 2019 21:01

NewCorkSeth I'm obviously not certain but I think he rotates the wingers because he's not convinced by any of them (bar maybe Meite)
I like Barrow. A lot more than the fans on Twitter seem too but I recognise he has flaws in his game. Harriott has looked a real try-er since getting back and I'm happy with him but he's not exactly nailed down a place. McCleary is frustrating at the moment. He does something great then bottles the next.

I get the rotation. He's looking for someone to step up.

I mean he tried to loan Méïté out in January so I don’t think he’s entirely convinced by any of them

I personally don’t like Barrow. He’s quick and direct and is “different” but his attitude irritates me. Saying that it’s got a lot better recently

Harriott is another player better off the bench

I just personally don’t think if you bring someone in for one game then drop them the next it’ll help their confidence, and that’s especially the case for wingers

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Mar 2019 21:03

He can certainly be a little negative for my liking. Both the o Shea and McShane subs weren’t great, and even yesterday we sat too far back for 25 mins

It’d be interesting to see if he’d make the same subs in the club were in a better situation. Would he still sit back to defend a 1-0/2-0 lead if it was the first game of the season?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Mar 2019 21:05

Hound He can certainly be a little negative for my liking. Both the o Shea and McShane subs weren’t great, and even yesterday we sat too far back for 25 mins

It’d be interesting to see if he’d make the same subs in the club were in a better situation. Would he still sit back to defend a 1-0/2-0 lead if it was the first game of the season?

Doubt it personally, it’s about getting wins this season at whatever cost. Next season with a pre season behind him, it may all be different

252 posts