Gomes after 10 League Games

252 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes after 10 League Games

by Snowball » 18 Apr 2019 10:55

muirinho Gomes has finally given this team some balls.

If you haven't listened to @elmparkroyals interview with Liam Moore which he posted today, it is well worth a listen. Loads of interesting stuff in there.

[/quote]

How do we listen to this?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Apr 2019 11:00

Snowball
muirinho

If you haven't listened to @elmparkroyals interview with Liam Moore which he posted today, it is well worth a listen. Loads of interesting stuff in there.

How do we listen to this?

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/e ... 1224296199
or
https://soundcloud.com/elmparkroyals/li ... -interview

There are some sound glitches - technical issues apparently - which are annoying. sound disappears for a while. But still worth the listen. Quite a lot in there, so unless you have loads of time, best listened to in chunks.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Apr 2019 11:01

Going back to the 'analysis' of Gomes at the top of page 7 based on his past record, it remains bizarre to me that Reading fans take this approach having personally 'enjoyed' the Brendan Rodgers experience. A great record at Liverpool and Celtic, but he wasn't the right fit for Reading at all.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Apr 2019 11:02

Sanguine Going back to the 'analysis' of Gomes at the top of page 7 based on his past record, it remains bizarre to me that Reading fans take this approach having personally 'enjoyed' the Brendan Rodgers experience. A great record at Liverpool and Celtic, but he wasn't the right fit for Reading at all.

Not sure what point you're making here Sangers?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Apr 2019 11:04

leon
Sanguine Going back to the 'analysis' of Gomes at the top of page 7 based on his past record, it remains bizarre to me that Reading fans take this approach having personally 'enjoyed' the Brendan Rodgers experience. A great record at Liverpool and Celtic, but he wasn't the right fit for Reading at all.

A statistical analysis of a manager's career doesn't tell the full story. Rodgers has got results in various jobs, but his approach wasn't right for Reading. Gomes has had some questionable tenures in the past, but appears a very good fit for our club and the players.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Apr 2019 11:13

Sanguine
leon

A statistical analysis of a manager's career doesn't tell the full story. Rodgers has got results in various jobs, but his approach wasn't right for Reading. Gomes has had some questionable tenures in the past, but appears a very good fit for our club and the players.

Gotcha. Despite what a lot of football fans seem to think nothing is black and white. There's a lot of factors that contribute to being a successful manager. Pragmatism is very important - wrt Rodgers, I think he failed to adapt his system to the players he had at RFC.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 18 Apr 2019 11:17

Sanguine
leon

it's really hard to work out if it's a mean regression type thing or genuine 'approach fit'*

His record at Liverpool was one** good season and three poor ones (finishing*** around 7/8th)

Celtic without Rangers in the League...I reckon I could manage that

Good start at Leicester tho and did well with Swansea (taking over from a pre-built team maybe?)

* no idea what to call it
** anniversary of the slip last Sat
** Kloppster took over

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Apr 2019 11:21

BR0B0T
Sanguine
leon

it's really hard to work out if it's a mean regression type thing or genuine 'approach fit'*

His record at Liverpool was one** good season and three poor ones (finishing*** around 7/8th)

Good start at Leicester tho and did well with Swansea (taking over from a pre-built team maybe?)

** Kloppster took over

Yep, and if he doesn't do great things at Leicester, he can claim they aren't a Top 6 club anyway.
But yes, he does seem one of those managers about whom opinion is quite varied re. how good he actually is.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Apr 2019 11:28

BR0B0T
Sanguine
leon

** Kloppster took over

I tend to take results out of it to some extent. He inherited a squad in which Andy Carroll, not fit for his style at all, was second-top scorer (with 9 in 2011-12), and where Stewart Downing was a key playmaker. Signed Sturridge and Coutinho, and started turning things around. Their close run to the title in 13-14 actually started the season before - Liverpool actually won only 3 of this first 13 games in charge but finished that first season strongly. And then he lost Suarez, and to an extent had to try to rebuild again. Results aside, he had a positive impact at the club - assisted by its resources which meant he could buy and shape a team in his image.

And it's that we've seen from Gomes, a positive impact (it appears) on fitness, and on playing style. I admit I don't actually know what his results are so far - we're still at risk of relegation, but it feels like he's doing well. I'll take that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2019 11:29

muirinho
Old Man Andrews
Hound Have only listened to about 20 mins of it so far, but it’s a very interesting listen

The Clement stuff was good, and does explain a few things

Sounded like he commanded zero respect to me, just doesn't have the credibility as a manager. Bit like a junior version of Steve McLaren. Great on the training field but useless as a man manager or tactician.

Significant that he said that Gomes was a much better communicator, even though he expected that Clement would be.

Also liked what he said about Gomes dividing the pitch into zones. Red zone, at the back - stick to your role, stick to the rules, etc. Green zone up top - do whatever you like. That freedom to be creative is certainly where the extra goals from play are coming from.

That's so oxf*rd obvious it's both depressing and genius.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Apr 2019 20:42

Sanguine
leon

Rodgers is now 10 years older and wiser. Still only 46.

Gomes himself is 48. Perhaps the right age to step up and take on a real challenge.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2019 21:51

Snowflake Royal
muirinho
Old Man Andrews Sounded like he commanded zero respect to me, just doesn't have the credibility as a manager. Bit like a junior version of Steve McLaren. Great on the training field but useless as a man manager or tactician.

Significant that he said that Gomes was a much better communicator, even though he expected that Clement would be.

Also liked what he said about Gomes dividing the pitch into zones. Red zone, at the back - stick to your role, stick to the rules, etc. Green zone up top - do whatever you like. That freedom to be creative is certainly where the extra goals from play are coming from.

Finally got round to listening to it all

Very much worth a listen and Moore comes over well. He certainly sounds happy and positive with how the club is currently being run and quite honest about how poor it was at times earlier in the year

Can certainly read between the lines a bit about his thoughts on last years recruitment for example.

Pretty much a must-listen really

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2019 23:09

I'll try to make the effort, I don't really engage well with podcasts tho.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Apr 2019 00:00

Snowflake Royal I'll try to make the effort, I don't really engage well with podcasts tho.

Or other people’s opinions.

Try it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Apr 2019 02:35

Hound
Snowflake Royal
muirinho

Finally got round to listening to it all

Very much worth a listen and Moore comes over well. He certainly sounds happy and positive with how the club is currently being run and quite honest about how poor it was at times earlier in the year

Can certainly read between the lines a bit about his thoughts on last years recruitment for example.

Pretty much a must-listen really

Not really a fan of listening to these sort of things

Could you sum up the most interesting/important things he said if possible?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Apr 2019 06:22

That’s a fairly tough ask being as it is about 90mins long :)

Basically from what I can remember

Likes Gomes a lot. Has simplified things, very good at getting his points across

He liked Clement personally but he struggled to get his ideas over

Definitely attitude issues in the squad previously. Mentioned people coming for last payday

Clearly thought Gourlay was awful and blames him for the contract situation in the summer. Much happier with who is in charge now. However it’s unclear on what will happen in the signing wise etc

Loves all the current loanees including Eza

Lots of interesting personal stuff as well. Very honest and open

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Apr 2019 10:43

REALLY liked Gomes' chat on line.

The guy seems genuine, and very honest.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2019 11:51

Hound That’s a fairly tough ask being as it is about 90mins long :)

Basically from what I can remember

Likes Gomes a lot. Has simplified things, very good at getting his points across

He liked Clement personally but he struggled to get his ideas over

Definitely attitude issues in the squad previously. Mentioned people coming for last payday

Clearly thought Gourlay was awful and blames him for the contract situation in the summer. Much happier with who is in charge now. However it’s unclear on what will happen in the signing wise etc

Loves all the current loanees including Eza

Lots of interesting personal stuff as well. Very honest and open

Thanks, that's what I was looking for too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Apr 2019 12:08

It’s a good interview. The one thing missing for me would have been a straighter question about why it went wrong under Stam. He loved Stam as well. He hints at poor recruitment and the loss of AAH, and the fact the squad really wasn’t very good (said AAH ‘single handedly’ got them into the play offs) but nothing totally specific

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Apr 2019 23:15

Last Six Games

0-0 Stoke Away
2-1 Preston Home
1-3 Hull City Away
2-2 Norwich Away TOP
2-1 Brentford Home
1-1 Bristol City Away 6th

8-8
9 Points @ 1.5 ppg. (69 Point Season)

Last Eight Games

3-2 Wigan Home
0-3 Leeds Home
0-0 Stoke Away
2-1 Preston Home
1-3 Hull City Away
2-2 Norwich Away TOP
2-1 Brentford Home

11-13

12 Points @ 1.5 ppg (69 Point Season)

Last Nine Games

2-1 Ipswich Away
3-2 Wigan Home
0-3 Leeds Home
0-0 Stoke Away
2-1 Preston Home
1-3 Hull City Away
2-2 Norwich Away TOP
2-1Brentford Home

13-14

15 Points @ 1.67 ppg. (77 Point Season)

Last Twelve Games

2-1 Blackburn Home
0-4 Sheffield Utd Away
1-1 Rotherham Home
2-1 Ipswich Away
3-2 Wigan Home
0-3 Leeds Home
0-0 Stoke Away
2-1 Preston Home
1-3 Hull City Away
2-2 Norwich Away TOP
2-1 Brentford Home

16-20 --------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT
19 Points @ 1.53 ppg. (70 Point Season)

17 Games (2019)

1-4 Swansea Home
2-0 Forest Home
1-2 Derby Away
1-1 Bolton Away
0-0 Aston Villa Home
0-0 Sheffield Wednesday Away
2-1 Blackburn Home
0-4 Sheffield Utd Away
1-1 Rotherham Home
2-1 Ipswich Away
3-2 Wigan Home
0-3 Leeds Home
0-0 Stoke Away
2-1 Preston Home
1-3 Hull City Away
2-2 Norwich Away TOP
2-1 Brentford Home -----------------------edit

21-27
24 Points @ 1.41 ppg. (65 Point Season)

19 Games (ALL including First two Games)

0-1 Millwall
0-0 QPR
1-4 Swansea Home
2-0 Forest Home
1-3 Derby Away
1-1 Bolton Away
0-0 Aston Villa Home
0-0 Sheffield Wednesday Away
2-1 Blackburn Home
0-4 Sheffield Utd Away
1-1 Rotherham Home
2-1 Ipswich Away
3-2 Wigan Home
0-3 Leeds Home
0-0 Stoke Away
2-1 Preston Home
1-3 Hull City Away
2-2 Norwich Away TOP
2-1 Brentford Home ---------------------- edit

21-28

25 Points @ 1.32 ppg. 61 Point Season
Last edited by Snowball on 20 Apr 2019 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

252 posts