Gomes after 10 League Games

252 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes after 10 League Games

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Apr 2019 09:56

Nameless
From Despair To Where? I thought Joorabchian was only involved in the appointment of Gomes as his agency deals almost exclusively with Portugese and Brazilian based clubs and players and if the owners were determined to go Portugese, to be fair, he is an expert on that market.

I reckon every loanee was on the radar to some degree as that's the remit of a scouting team to identify specific indivuduals to fit a type of player. I think Baker would have come regardless, the others, I'm not so sure but it's all hypothetical.

It was mentioned to me by someone with a solid connection at the club that the recruitment had essentially been outsourced, by which Inassumed we’d appointed an agent to get a set of players. Of course we may have given them names we were especially interested in.

To be honest, I'd be amazed if there weren't agents who act purely as third party fixers and I can see the sense in having them.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Apr 2019 10:28

Nameless
From Despair To Where? I thought Joorabchian was only involved in the appointment of Gomes as his agency deals almost exclusively with Portugese and Brazilian based clubs and players and if the owners were determined to go Portugese, to be fair, he is an expert on that market.

I reckon every loanee was on the radar to some degree as that's the remit of a scouting team to identify specific indivuduals to fit a type of player. I think Baker would have come regardless, the others, I'm not so sure but it's all hypothetical.

It was mentioned to me by someone with a solid connection at the club that the recruitment had essentially been outsourced, by which Inassumed we’d appointed an agent to get a set of players. Of course we may have given them names we were especially interested in.
How this stacks with the fact that we got these players for nothing I can’t quite work out. For a single agent to persuade 4 clubs to give players to us and not charge a fee is amazing, especially when 2 of them are part of Chelsea’s money earning farm !
Would love Nigel Howe to come to a fans forum and give us an honest explanation of how it was done.

If this is true it kinda knocks "The Reading DNA" idea on the head

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Apr 2019 11:10

Snowball
Nameless

How this stacks with the fact that we got these players for nothing I can’t quite work out. For a single agent to persuade 4 clubs to give players to us and not charge a fee is amazing, especially when 2 of them are part of Chelsea’s money earning farm !
Would love Nigel Howe to come to a fans forum and give us an honest explanation of how it was done.

If this is true it kinda knocks "The Reading DNA" idea on the head

Not if the instruction was to get "young and hungry" and/or players with a "point to prove" which was very much part of the Reading make up during our most successful period. Of course we didn't need them to be loan players back then but this was very much a needs must situation.

We all know that transfers don't work the same way they did 10 years ago let alone nearly 15 when Coppell started assembling his Dream team and things had to be done rapidly given the situation we found ourselves in.

I was thinking about this the other day and whilst t may be a hindsight thing but if you do look back to our last 3 summer windows then generally you can see a pattern in each one.

Stam '16. A general theme of good Technical players , Swift , Beerens, Moore, Blackett even JVDB came from that Dutch tradition.

Stam '17. Needed more attacking heft as we were too reliant on Kermogant so in came Bod, Barrow, Aluko and as a sizeable chunk of our budget that season. Obviously we know Stam wanted Oliveira/Hemed and had to settle for Aluko but the rationale was the same.

Clement '18. Decides we need "Leaders" so we get O'Shea, Meyler, Baldock.

Now fast forward to this January and what is one of the first things Gomes states? He wants to work with a smaller squad and younger players. In comes our Fab 5 who with all fit that DNA (Oliveira might be a little older )

The point is in this day and age the Managers/Head Coaches don't necessarily pick individual players but more types or positions they need. Then the list of possibles comes to them and decisions are taken as to whether the manager takes them or not. Most managers in the Modern game will have heard of these suggestions and will usually agree so they get a final say even if they didn't necessarily choose the individual player at first.

Further up there's a discussion about whether we'd have got the 5 loan players under Clement? The answer is unlikely unless Clement had decided to abandon his "experienced leaders" rationale to suddenly decide he wanted new fresh blood. Maybe he'd already changed to that view (see the loan of Eza) but it was unlikely he'd have been given the opportunity to completely change tack and certainly not if Gourlay were still here I suspect.

Remember it took a fair bit of negotiation before Gomes actually came on board and I suspect a lot of this would have been about the type of player we can get and what type of team/squad we want to be.

I'm fascinated to see what we come up with this summer. Sadly we're going to be hamstrung pretty heavily by FFP as in the rolling 3 year cycle I think we have to somehow make up for the play-off year when we actually turned a profit.

In summary ( tl;dr ) I wouldn't necessarily say the Reading DNA is blown out of the water but the way we recruit those players has changed in line with the modern game.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Apr 2019 16:14

Vision The discussion about whether we'd have got the 5 loan players under Clement? The answer is unlikely unless Clement had decided to abandon his "experienced leaders" rationale to suddenly decide he wanted new fresh blood. It was unlikely he'd have been given the opportunity to completely change tack and certainly not if Gourlay were still here.

Yep, and then Howe played a role in this, and his first course of action was to sack Clement. And so even if these exact same players were already in the works, Howe clearly didn't want Clement managing/coaching them. It seems reasonable to think that Gomes was a factor in Oliveira coming. Maybe he will be asked about that, esp if he signs a long term deal here.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 05 May 2019 19:14

I'll be honest and say that when Gomes came in I thought he'd take us down (and that sacking Clement at the time was the wrong decision), and if he did give us a fighting chance I thought those 2 weeks under Marshall may come back to bite us. Just didn't think a foreign manager with no knowledge of the Championship could adapt quickly enough, and he seemed to have an open attacking style of play which didn't suit the position we were in. Happy to have been proved wrong! He said in that clip at the Fans Forum that his English isn't good (it sounds fine to me) but I've always suspected that if he was still here in the summer he'd look to improve it so I suspect his communication to the players will only improve.

The last 2 months have reminded me of McDermott's first half season, just a shame I never went to a game this season (and I didn't go to many that season either). It's interesting, when McD came back for his second spell I always remember him saying in his press conference that to be successful you have to enjoy it. For me you have to go back to McD first time around to find a manager who is as proud to be here as Gomes.

Every manager has to have a good team around him though so it's not just been about Gomes. We don't seem to pick up as many injuries in training anymore and our injured players seem to come back quicker too so the fitness has improved. Plus, it was only really since the arrival of Mark Bowen as technical consultant during the last international break that we have picked up the particularly eye catching results, like the win over Preston, the draws at Norwich and Bristol City and at home to West Brom, combined with the tactical switch in the away games.

In a way feel quite sad the season is over now, especially given that I didn't go to a game, (didn't go to many in that 09/10 season either), but looking forward to seeing what he can do with whoever he has in the squad next season now. Let's hope this summer unlike 2010, doesn't see our star young player leave...Gomes' post match interview suggested that if there was serious interest from a PL club in Rinomhota we might cash in.

Having said all of the above, there is an element of luck as it's clear that Meite didn't fit into his plans until the owners blocked his departure on deadline day.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 20:25

I would be surprised if there is interest in Rinomhota just yet. He is still very inexperienced and clubs will probably want to see how he fares next season. Moore is a different matter. There may well be interest in him in the summer. With Miazga going back to Chelsea we really need to hold onto our Captain.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 21:02

There’ll be interest in him. Pots in his first year coming into a dreadful (at the time) side and making a huge difference. Plus it’ll be no secret we are trying to offload players

Whether that interest gets anywhere near an acceptable bid is probably unlikely - however happened with Tish after far less of an impact

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 21:11

Think the club will do as much as it can to keep Rinomhota, I can’t imagine his wages being high at all, which is a huge bonus, unlike others like swift and barrow and Moore

And hopefully he can look at the examples of hector, tshibola as you say and realise jumping ship rarely works at such an inexperienced age

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 05 May 2019 21:25

URZZZZ Think the club will do as much as it can to keep Rinomhota, I can’t imagine his wages being high at all, which is a huge bonus, unlike others like swift and barrow and Moore

And hopefully he can look at the examples of hector, tshibola as you say and realise jumping ship rarely works at such an inexperienced age

Hector has played fairly regularly for a season in Germany and two full seasons at clubs above us in the championship on probably double the money since he left us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 21:30

They love Hector at Sheff Weds from what I’ve seen now. Won pots. Be nice for him to settle down somewhere

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2019 21:43

Hound They love Hector at Sheff Weds from what I’ve seen now. Won pots. Be nice for him to settle down somewhere

We could do much worse than bringing Hector home if Miazga isn't available.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 May 2019 23:45

From Despair To Where?
Nameless

To be honest, I'd be amazed if there weren't agents who act purely as third party fixers and I can see the sense in having them.

Joorabchian is a third party fixer, he isn't a registered agent. He's an advisor. One of those he's an advisor for is Matt Miazga.. he was also involved in bringing his fellow Iranian in on loan

252 posts