Gomes after 10 League Games

252 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gomes after 10 League Games

by Nameless » 22 Apr 2019 12:22

sandman That's not really the context of what he was saying. He was talking about selecting the most important things you say to players rather than drowning them with too many instructions.

The podcast is still available so you'll be able to listen to it and discover the context of the conversation for yourself, Nameless.

My response was in the context of your post, which referred to Clement working in multiple countries and not having adequate language skills to communicate.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Apr 2019 12:46

Did he mention wanting to be replaced by Graham Potter :)
Only joking......

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Apr 2019 13:09

That's Paul Clement's great mate Graham Hunter, isn't it? Not the most objective source.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Apr 2019 11:03

Gomes This Year

19 Games (2019)

1-4 Swansea Home
2-0 Forest Home
1-2 Derby Away
1-1 Bolton Away
0-0 Aston Villa Home
0-0 Sheffield Wednesday Away
2-1 Blackburn Home
0-4 Sheffield Utd Away
1-1 Rotherham Home
2-1 Ipswich Away
3-2 Wigan Home

0-3 Leeds Home
0-0 Stoke Away
2-1 Preston Home
1-3 Hull City Away
2-2 Norwich Away TOP
2-1 Brentford Home
1-1 Bristol City Away 6th
0-0 WBA (4th)

21-27
25 Points @ 1.32 ppg. (61 Point Season)

Considering most of us think we have (ATM) a Premiership-quality keeper and a very good defence, an average of 1.5 goals conceded per game is not that good. IMO we still need an out and out DM in front of the back 4

Although, TBF 14 of those 27 goals-conceded came in four games

EDIT. It's 19 games, not 18

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Apr 2019 11:41

judging from the time the window shut and we had a settled team playing the way he wanted I'm more than happy with what he has done.
happy to write off the the 3 away games where we got dicked in that period were against decent teams

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Apr 2019 11:51

Before these last six games it would not have been ridiculous
to imagine us losing the lot (except maybe, Brentford)

2-1 Preston Home (Were flying at the time and had won their last six away)
1-3 Hull City Away (Were flying and thinking of making the Play-Offs)
2-2 Norwich Away TOP, still top, gonna be champions
2-1 Brentford Home
1-1 Bristol City Away 6th Had just beaten WBA, going 3-0 up in first half)
0-0 WBA (4th) Second-top scorers in league. Guaranteed top six

To get 1.5 points per game from that lot is quite amazing.

If, next season, we have the same first 11/15 (or its equivalent)
it doesn't seem unreasonable to think we can average 1.5 ppg
(69 Point Season) or more.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 12:31

Snowball IMO we still need an out and out DM in front of the back 4

Shame as we’ve got one but he’s been injured for months.
Whether we could fit him in as well as Rino and Baker would be the issue.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2019 12:48

sandman Some people still can't get over Clement replacing their beloved Stam and their dreams of the Berkshire version of Total Football and have steadfastly refused to acknowledge anything decent Clement did. Like giving Meite a chance to start and develop. As Ian says, he also spotted where there were weaknesses in the team and at least tried to address them even if the players signed didn't work out. Once you identify those weaknesses you need to make sure you research those players and their characters properly, as Moore alluded to with Brighton and the research into him their scouts did.

The only thing Moore really said negatively about Clement was about communication. It's interesting to hear as I listened to an interview with Clement by Graham Hunter where he said that because he'd worked in countries that he didn't fully know the language he took a less is more approach to speaking with players. By what Moore is saying that is the approach he took here and was probably the wrong one to take.

Every manager has his faults and I suspect that at some point next season we will see some of the faults Gomes has.

Yep, Clement kept us up last season and got us wins over QPR and Preston which beloved Jaap would never have done, yet very few gave him credit for that

He then attempted to restructure the squad, hey ho it didn't work out but he did what most wanted, signed a RB to replace Gunter, bring in some strikers, and try and get rid of some of the deadwood

You can say Clement's signings didn't work but very few of Stam's did either

Oh and results were improving, we only lost 1 of the last 5 games and that was away at top of the league missing a last minute penalty with an XI which included three academy players which people said Clement didn't do

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Apr 2019 14:14

That seems to be quite a revisionist assessment of the past few seasons.

I remember plenty of people giving Clement credit for gritty wins against Preston and QPR. I also remember him getting very little criticism for the abject performances against Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich, certainly nowhere near the level of criticism Gomes got for the losses against Millwall and Swansea and any criticism that did occur was levelled at the players.

I don't remember "most "people" wanting Gunter replaced, only really Ian and a couple of others. Most people recognised him as a decent option at this level but woefully lacking in competition for his place. Of Clement's 7 permanent signings, only Yiadom can be regarded as a success.

Very few of Stam's signings worked? I presume you're forgetting Moore, Swift, Beerens, Barrow, Bacuna and Bodvarsson along with players like van den Berg, Blackett and Mannone who played a part. That's 9 out of 20 signings, not including Meite and Ilori, Harriott and Mendes, who scored some crucial goals. His only big failings were Aluko, Popa and Edwards and there was a handful of cheap signings that didn't work.

I'm also bemused by this whole Stam fanboy nonsense, from day 1 he absolutely divided opinion. There's as many Clement fanboys. out there.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Apr 2019 14:36

From Despair To Where? That seems to be quite a revisionist assessment of the past few seasons.

I remember plenty of people giving Clement credit for gritty wins against Preston and QPR. I also remember him getting very little criticism for the abject performances against Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich, certainly nowhere near the level of criticism Gomes got for the losses against Millwall and Swansea and any criticism that did occur was levelled at the players.

I don't remember "most "people" wanting Gunter replaced, only really Ian and a couple of others. Most people recognised him as a decent option at this level but woefully lacking in competition for his place. Of Clement's 7 permanent signings, only Yiadom can be regarded as a success.

Very few of Stam's signings worked? I presume you're forgetting Moore, Swift, Beerens, Barrow, Bacuna and Bodvarsson along with players like van den Berg, Blackett and Mannone who played a part. That's 9 out of 20 signings, not including Meite and Ilori, Harriott and Mendes, who scored some crucial goals. His only big failings were Aluko, Popa and Edwards and there was a handful of cheap signings that didn't work.

I'm also bemused by this whole Stam fanboy nonsense, from day 1 he absolutely divided opinion. There's as many Clement fanboys. out there.

This is a fair assessment.

Personally I didn't think Clement was the right person and I stand by that. I wanted it to work. It didn't.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Apr 2019 14:37

This season's escape from relegation campaign feels far more satisfying than last season where quite honestly we stayed up by default with one of the lowest points totals ever.

As pointed out above the performances against Ipswich and Sheff Wed at the end of the season when we were nowhere near safe were absolutely dreadful, lacking in effort and cohesive tactics and against 2 sides on the beach.

I can honestly say the Sheffield game was in the all time worst 5 aways I've been to and I go back 35 years of away games.

Compare those games against the last 2 played (and play off sides) which are at a comparable stage of the season games wise and points wise above the drop zone.

We only survived last season because of the failings of others.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Apr 2019 15:00

From Despair To Where? That seems to be quite a revisionist assessment of the past few seasons.

+100

Also the contrast between yesterday's game (when we needed a point) and the abject collapse against Ipswich last year, when again we just needed a point - pretty mammoth.

Discounting BMcD's second stint as it was so short -

Adkins got us to 7th
Clarke had the FA Cup semi-final,
Stam got us to within a penalty kick of the PL
Clement got us stuttering to safety, playing like crap, safe only because other teams were worse.
Gomes has got us over the line playing decent football - nice mix of clever stuff, pragmatism, grit and determination.

Clement's definitely the low point of our managers since we got relegated from the PL.
Last edited by muirinho on 23 Apr 2019 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2019 15:05

Agree PC has the worst overall record, but that second Stam season was by far the most damaging season we’ve had, with the crowds hitting rock bottom, the football appalling, results terrible and a massive and expensive bloated squad

Stam did brilliantly in year 1, but year 2 was horrendous for whatever reason (Stam, Gourlay, Tevreden - whatever). We’d likely have been relegated if he stayed and in serious financial peril

I did at least feel PC was starting to turn it around from the absolute pits we had hit - and deserved some credit for that - but obvs Gomes has massively accelerated that and proven a very shrewd choice

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Apr 2019 15:59

At the the time of his sacking, I wanted Clement to be given more time but I think the decision has been justified and the improvement in results is just a small part of that. I feel that Gomes has invested far more of himself into the club than Clement ever did.

I don't demand success but I do expect players to give their all. For the first time in ages, the players play like they give a shit in every game and that starts with the manager.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2019 16:30

muirinho

+100

Also the contrast between yesterday's game (when we needed a point) and the abject collapse against Ipswich last year, when again we just needed a point - pretty mammoth.

What about the contrast between Hull away and then Preston last season? We collapsed it one, and held on in the other. Nonsense statement

Mcdermott's second stint : 30 games
Clement's stint : 30 games
Nonsense

Adkins got us to 7th
Technically it was two
Clement got us stuttering to safety, playing like crap, safe only because other teams were worse.
If we kept Stam with 1 win in 19 we'd have gone down. Those two wins kept us up
Gomes has got us over the line playing decent football - nice mix of clever stuff, pragmatism, grit and determination.
Gomes has been very good but with the exception of a couple of games, it hasn't been decent football that's got us through

Clement's definitely the low point of our managers since we got relegated from the PL.
Clarke was worse IMO but that's up to opinions

Last edited by URZZZZ on 23 Apr 2019 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2019 16:34

I don't really remember that. Not saying you're wrong as such, but there was a lot of negativity going into the season. Dodgy pre season probably didn't help mind

I don't remember "most "people" wanting Gunter replaced, only really Ian and a couple of others. Most people recognised him as a decent option at this level but woefully lacking in competition for his place. Of Clement's 7 permanent signings, only Yiadom can be regarded as a success

It was more than a couple, maybe not this site but a lot of people on twitter etc were happy to see Gunter replaced

Up for debate, think many of his signings were too inconsistent, only Moore has really impressed with a few others having spells

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Apr 2019 18:09

URZZZZ
muirinho

+100

What about the contrast between Hull away and then Preston last season? We collapsed it one, and held on in the other. Nonsense statement

Mcdermott's second stint : 30 games
Clement's stint : 30 games
Nonsense

Adkins got us to 7th
Technically it was two
If we kept Stam with 1 win in 19 we'd have gone down. Those two wins kept us up
Gomes has been very good but with the exception of a couple of games, it hasn't been decent football that's got us through

Clarke was worse IMO but that's up to opinions

What is it then luck? The football is decent within the confines of the position he inherited. Clements team was a disorganised rabble. We’re looking better, much better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2019 18:27

From Despair To Where? At the the time of his sacking, I wanted Clement to be given more time but I think the decision has been justified and the improvement in results is just a small part of that. I feel that Gomes has invested far more of himself into the club than Clement ever did.

I don't demand success but I do expect players to give their all. For the first time in ages, the players play like they give a shit in every game and that starts with the manager.

I think this is fair. I do wonder what Clement could have done with the same loanees support.

But whether by luck or judgement, the Gomes appointment is proving excellent so far. And with Howe's record you've got to assume judgement and go on the basis he could see Gomes quality beyond his record based on info we weren't privy to.

I liked Clement, but there's something contagious about Gomes' enthusiasm and engagement that Clement didn't have (mind you, I don't think SSC had it either!).

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Apr 2019 18:31

Coppell understood exactly what made each player tick and he kept it simple.

And he also placed great emphasis on trying to sign players with the right personality to start with.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2019 18:38

From Despair To Where? Coppell understood exactly what motivated each player and what each player needed and he kept it simple.

Oh yes, not saying otherwise, but he didn't have the same infectious and boisterous enthusiasm.

He was a more reserved and quiet guy, which I feel is more like Clement... only Coppell didn't fail to get his ideas across and motivate. And has a much better record. And was generally a lot better. I wasn't really talking about quality of performance.

252 posts