MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h) sponsored by Nicky Forster

200 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h) sponsored by Nicky Forster

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Mar 2019 17:33

From Despair To Where? That's 5 points nicked with last minute and injury time goals against relegation rivals in a week. That's some spirit being shown, one thing we've been missing for nigh on 2 years.

We've had spirit since Stam left IMO... not constantly, but we've put in much better fighting performances and picked up some late points or recovered from set backs that would have seen us buried last season under both regimes this year. More so under Gomes maybe, but not exclusively.

Now if we could just make the odd game relatively safe by 60 minutes, life would be a bit easier.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 09 Mar 2019 17:34

Snowflake Royal
The Enfield Royal71
Brain Traysers Out of interest do people still refuse to believe that we are extremely lucky?

How have we been lucky at all in the past 2 seasons?

Because yoi can only out perform goal expectancy stats by fluke apparently. :roll:

Taking a step back, how on earth did we win that game? Either we were extremely lucky, or are secretly good enough to score on demand (2 in 10 mins) and choose not to.

Barrows goal very good, but any goal from there takes a big slice of luck- hence why he isn't able to do it every game.

A fun and excellent result given the first 80 mins notwithstanding!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Mar 2019 17:37

That's the first time we've come from behind to win in years

Absololutely unbelolievable. Daylight robbery and I've grazed my thighs and given myself a migraine but I don't care.

URZ
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 09 Mar 2019 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 Mar 2019 17:37

Horrible 88 minute performance. Incredible 9 minutes. Shit in defence, weak in the middle, no striker, no ideas etc. But it appears we do have some grit and players like Meite (who I have been incredibly critucal of) can be the difference with effort and belief. He deserved that goal.

2 defeats in the last how many games. Back to back wins now.

Some of the posts in this thread aged very well. :lol:

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 Mar 2019 17:39

Brain Traysers
Snowflake Royal
The Enfield Royal71

Because yoi can only out perform goal expectancy stats by fluke apparently. :roll:

Taking a step back, how on earth did we win that game? Either we were extremely lucky, or are secretly good enough to score on demand (2 in 10 mins) and choose not to.

Barrows goal very good, but any goal from there takes a big slice of luck- hence why he isn't able to do it every game.

You're being extremely reductive here. Wigans second was extremely lucky as we oxf*rd up a goal kick. Their first was lucky as we didn't clear the ball.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Mar 2019 17:40

Brain Traysers
Snowflake Royal
The Enfield Royal71

That goal was made by the Wigan player taking a touch from the restart, letting someone (Baker?) nick the ball off him and start a counterattack whilst Barrow was in space to pick up the ball, turn, run and smash one in the bottom corner before they were set. That's not luck, it's engineered. Yeah, long shots from there don't go in very often, but those circumstances don't crop up often either. He did exactly what he intended, just because it was hard and from an unusual circumstance doesn't make it lucky.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Mar 2019 17:41

Brain Traysers
Snowflake Royal
The Enfield Royal71

Oh FFS. Who cares?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Mar 2019 17:42

Snowflake Royal
Brain Traysers
Snowflake Royal Because yoi can only out perform goal expectancy stats by fluke apparently. :roll:

That goal was made by the Wigan player taking a touch from the restart, letting someone (Baker?) nick the ball off him and start a counterattack whilst Barrow was in space to pick up the ball, turn, run and smash one in the bottom corner before they were set. That's not luck, it's engineered. Yeah, long shots from there don't go in very often, but those circumstances don't crop up often either. He did exactly what he intended, just because it was hard and from an unusual circumstance doesn't make it lucky.

Yep, class from Baker for the equaliser.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Mar 2019 17:42

Snowflake Royal
Brain Traysers
Snowflake Royal Because yoi can only out perform goal expectancy stats by fluke apparently. :roll:

Yep, class from Baker for the equaliser.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Mar 2019 17:43

On the bus back - reading this thread makes that last minute winner even better :D

Proper stressful that

In summary Wigan did a number on us - sucked us into playing their game and undoubtedly should have won

However if nothing else we’ve plenty of fight and the last minute winner wasn’t a huge surprise when it came. Great atmosphere, great finish. That’s why we put up with 99% of shit for that 1% of ecstasy :D

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Mar 2019 17:43

Ecnkefinecnruxrixbwixwiwfj fi3bf3i f ex ixi3nxi3nzu3 d3ubd3ud 3u d3inx3nx3ixn3ixn3nf3ifn3idn3ond3ndxi3nx3inx3ind3inf3inf83nf84nd74bd47bx74nx8rnxq9nxw9xnw9cnwofw9c3jxn48xn48xn48xn4c74bux4n8x4inx84n

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Mar 2019 17:45

Oh the ref...

Fcukkng hell. Has a ref ever got every single decision in a game wrong, because this clown came close. May as well have had no ref. Probably the worst ref I’ve ever seen

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Mar 2019 17:54

Just like to say f*ck you Reece James (12) twice he went down with life threatening injuries only to be up and bouncing after a few minutes of the magic sponge,
The 2nd time we punished him, quite rightly.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 09 Mar 2019 17:57

So I go to the loo in disgust at getting beaten 1-2 and playing absolute rubbish - when Mrs Strap tells me we won 3-2?!?!? Tought she was taking the p!ss!! This oxf*rd team?!?!?! We are so SO lucky surely we simply cannot go down this season!?!? Wigan must be totally gutted!?!?!

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Mar 2019 17:59

strap So I go to the loo in disgust at getting beaten 1-2 and playing absolute rubbish - when Mrs Strap tells me we won 3-2?!?!? Tought she was taking the p!ss!! This oxf*rd team?!?!?! We are so SO lucky surely we simply cannot go down this season!?!? Wigan must be totally gutted!?!?!

Strap when was the last time we came from behind to win?

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 09 Mar 2019 18:05

Just watched the Sky highlights. The total joy and togetherness of the players and management staff was great to see. There is spirit in this side and with back-to-back wins maybe we can play with a bit more confidence now.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 09 Mar 2019 18:06

For the stattos out there, Meite's goal means there might be one unwanted record we won't beat this season. He now has 8 league goals for the season, equal to Asaba in 1997/8 when we got relegated to the 3rd tier. 8 league goals is the lowest highest season league goalscorer since we joined the league.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Mar 2019 18:06

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? That's 5 points nicked with last minute and injury time goals against relegation rivals in a week. That's some spirit being shown, one thing we've been missing for nigh on 2 years.

We've had spirit since Stam left IMO... not constantly, but we've put in much better fighting performances and picked up some late points or recovered from set backs that would have seen us buried last season under both regimes this year. More so under Gomes maybe, but not exclusively.

Now if we could just make the odd game relatively safe by 60 minutes, life would be a bit easier.

I don't believe we had any spirit whatsoever when Stam left and saw none at all under useless Clement.
Gomes seems to have woken them up to the fact that we are in real trouble and they are fighting.
I think that's the first time in 55 games we've gone behind in that we have come back and won. Says it all about the last two managers. I actually think he is performing miracles at a club that when he arrived was flat on its back.
I thought he was a mad appointment but I think we may have got ourselves a manager that's learning about the championship and seems to be creating positivity........for the first time this season I think we may stay up.
Last edited by Ascotexgunner on 09 Mar 2019 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Mar 2019 18:07

Everyone said we would take a scruffy win, then when we win scruffily the knobs are moaning, it`s three points, its a league of 6 now, many more difficult hurdles to cross stating on Tuesday but it`s a great feeling to win .
Martinez was outstanding again apart from the blip for their 2nd goal.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 09 Mar 2019 18:15

WoodleyRoyal
strap So I go to the loo in disgust at getting beaten 1-2 and playing absolute rubbish - when Mrs Strap tells me we won 3-2?!?!? Tought she was taking the p!ss!! This oxf*rd team?!?!?! We are so SO lucky surely we simply cannot go down this season!?!? Wigan must be totally gutted!?!?!

Strap when was the last time we came from behind to win?

I'll get back to you.

200 posts