200 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h) sponsored by Nicky Forster

by Sutekh » 06 Mar 2019 10:14

When : Saturday 9th March, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

‘ey up lads it’s Wigan at home. Some unkind people out there will say this is that last winnable game Reading have got left so anything other than a win is unacceptable and will promptly have the doom-mongers relegating the club immediately (not to mention the meltdown that will follow on this board of course).

Wigan were on a run of four successive draws until Derby came from behind to beat them last night. With a win over QPR before their run of draws and you find they have only lost one of their last six games. That QPR win though was only their second win in the last fifteen games. In their visits to Rotherham, Ipswich and Bolton they’ve drawn twice and lost once (1-0 at Ipswich) so their visit to the Mad Stad is odds on to be the usual nervy affair going down to the wire.

Away from home Wigan tend to struggle with only one win (3-0 at Stoke) to show from seventeen league trips (3 draws and 13 defeats) thus far. Nick Powell returned after a hamstring injury for their game at Derby and they don’t appear to have too many other injury issues to worry about.

Reading have at last managed to win an away game so should be feeling positive and upwardly mobile this week which can only help confidence, belief and spark however the loss of Oliveira with a hamstring problem is really going to hamper things. Martinez too is a doubt (calf) however that might have a more hopeful outcome given that the injury was sustained in the warm up at Ipswich and he seemed to get through the subsequent game successfully and made some show stopping saves as well. The loss of Oliveira though has put Reading right back to the basics as Bod is very doubtful for the game and Baldock is definitely out so that will leave Meite (not without a few aches and pains himself) and/or Loader to lead the line

Referee

Andy Davies is back for this one.

Previously

26 dec 18 > Millwall 1-0 Reading
02 Oct 18 > Reading 0-1 Queens Park Rangers
28 Feb 18 > Reading 1-3 Sheffield United
19 Sep 17 > Reading 0-2 Swansea City (LC)
07 Mar 17 > Reading 0-0 Newcastle United
26 Dec 16 > Reading 3-1 Norwich City
29 Oct 16 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
06 Aug 16 > Reading 1-0 Preston North End
15 Sep 15 > Reading 0-1 Derby County

Historically

Wigan are one of the very few clubs that Reading have played in all four divisions. There have been twenty one previous visits from the Latics for league points and more often than not the outcome is decisive as there’s only been two draws (both 1-1) in that time.

Of the remaining nineteen games Reading have won twelve to Wigan’s seven but of the last four games played Wigan have won on three occasions to just one win for Reading.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h) sponsored by Nicky Forster

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Mar 2019 10:16

Andy Davies.............. Can't trust him for such a big game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2019 10:58

Be very very disappointed not to win this. watched the Derby vs Wigan game last night and they were pretty poor all over the pitch against a lame Derby side. Powell is a good player but looked way off the pace.

The loss of Oliveira is obviously a big one, hopefully Meite has his shooting boots back on

Martinez
Yiadom Miazga Moore Blackett
Baker Swift Ejaria
McCleary Meite Harriott/Barrow

Walker, Gunter, McShane, Harriott/Barrow, Loader, Bod, Kelly

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Mar 2019 12:55

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Baker
Ejaria
Swift

Barrow
Meite
McCleary

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Mar 2019 14:21

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Baker
Kelly

Ejaria
Swift
McCleary

Meite

Walker, Gunter, Richards, McShane, East, Barrow, Bod/Loader

Anyone know if Bod is available for this one?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Mar 2019 14:25

URZZZZ Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Baker
Kelly

Ejaria
Swift
McCleary

Meite

Kelly :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

He's suddenly just going to start playing for absolutely no reason?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Mar 2019 14:33

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Baker
Kelly

Ejaria
Swift
McCleary

Meite

Kelly :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Because Nelson is injured otherwise I'd do the same team. If Bod's fit, no doubt I'd have him up front, Meite on the wing and Ejaria in CM. But if Bod isn't fit (typically) the options are Barrow, Harriott, Loader or Kelly. Barrow has done nothing so far starting, both his goals are off the bench (as I said he'd be a good impact sub), Harriott isn't good enough and neither is Loader. I know you don't rate Kelly but I find you starting Barrow just as laughable so pipe down

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Mar 2019 14:37

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Baker
Kelly

Ejaria
Swift
McCleary

Meite

Because Nelson is injured otherwise I'd do the same team. If Bod's fit, no doubt I'd have him up front, Meite on the wing and Ejaria in CM. But if Bod isn't fit (typically) the options are Barrow, Harriott, Loader or Kelly. Barrow has done nothing so far starting, both his goals are off the bench (as I said he'd be a good impact sub), Harriott isn't good enough and neither is Loader. I know you don't rate Kelly but I find you starting Barrow just as laughable so pipe down

The guy who scored the winner at Ipswich is laughable?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Mar 2019 14:40

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

The guy who scored the winner at Ipswich is laughable?

The guy who outperformed Man United's midfield at Old Trafford is laughable? Remind me the last time Barrow started and scored a goal please, then compare that with Kelly

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Mar 2019 16:40

Sutekh
Wigan are one of the very few clubs that Reading have played in all four divisions. There have been twenty one previous visits from the Latics for league points and more often than not the outcome is decisive as there’s only been two draws (both 1-1) in that time.

Can think of Portsmouth too, anyone else?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 06 Mar 2019 17:21

Mid Sussex Royal
Sutekh

Have we played them in the 4th. tier? We would have played them in the old Division 3 South, in those far off days but that would not have been in the 4th. tier. I think Wigan is the only team we have played in four tiers. I shouldn't think there are many clubs who have met in league matches in all four divisions.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Mar 2019 17:35

The Royal Forester
Mid Sussex Royal
Sutekh

Have we played them in the 4th. tier? We would have played them in the old Division 3 South, in those far off days but that would not have been in the 4th. tier. I think Wigan is the only team we have played in four tiers. I shouldn't think there are many clubs who have met in league matches in all four divisions.

Yep - 1978/79, when we won the 4th Division title under Maurice Evans, remember the 2-0 win on Good Friday at Elm Park, was part of the run of games where Steve Death broke the record for minutes without conceding a goal.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 06 Mar 2019 18:13

Mid Sussex Royal
The Royal Forester
Mid Sussex Royal

Yep - 1978/79, when we won the 4th Division title under Maurice Evans, remember the 2-0 win on Good Friday at Elm Park, was part of the run of games where Steve Death broke the record for minutes without conceding a goal.

I stand corrected, Including the Div 3 South, that would make it five divisions we have played them in, then?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Mar 2019 19:16

Thanks Sutekh for your usual informative presentation. Wigan’s away record is worse than ours. It’s atrocious. This is very winnable. If it goes well we could reach the starry heights of 19th.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Mar 2019 19:48

Zip Thanks Sutekh for your usual informative presentation. Wigan’s away record is worse than ours. It’s atrocious. This is very winnable. If it goes well we could reach the starry heights of 19th.

Wigan have 6 points on the road all season so far, exactly the same as Rotherham when they came here...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2019 20:22

URZZZZ Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Baker
Kelly

Ejaria
Swift
McCleary

Meite

Agree. Kelly is better than Swift or Ejaria in the deeper midfield role. I really liked the look of Ejaria in the central attacking role and I'm not a fan of Swift, but dropping him to accommodate Ejaria there and to bring in Barrow / Harriott would be harsh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2019 20:35

I very much doubt he’ll change the midfield on the back of a win and a draw tbh, and I hope he doesn’t

Obvs we need to bring in an attacking player for Oli, but sure that will be either Barrow or Harriott

Kelly is a reasonable option on the bench in case of injury but can’t see him in the first 11, or even likely to be subbed on for tactical reasons

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Mar 2019 20:43

Hound I very much doubt he’ll change the midfield on the back of a win and a draw tbh, and I hope he doesn’t

Obvs we need to bring in an attacking player for Oli, but sure that will be either Barrow or Harriott

Kelly is a reasonable option on the bench in case of injury but can’t see him in the first 11, or even likely to be subbed on for tactical reasons

This is not intended to be a dig, but genuinely if Rinomhota was fit for Saturday, would you still want to see the same midfield or would you want to see Rino in? I know you don't particularly rate Kelly so that may come into your reasoning as to why you don't want him to play

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2019 21:03

Yeah don’t want to go into the Kelly discussion again as we’ve been through that - and strangely you seem pretty aligned on my ratings of all the other players.

I’d not bring Rino straight back in to be honest - not after 3-4 weeks out. Baker has done ok in that CM spot. Undoubtedly he’d end up back in sooner rather than later though

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Mar 2019 21:31

Sutekh
Referee

Andy Davies is back for this one.

Oh F[u]ck,

We're screwed.

200 posts