Gomez tactics may still take us down

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Gomez tactics may still take us down

by paddy20 » 10 Mar 2019 09:36

Unbelievable last few minutes yesterday which gives us two wins in a row. If we are honest though we were a bit fortunate to win both games. Not because the other teams were better but because our tactics put us under so much pressure that we make mistakes. We were dominant in the first half against Ipswich and the same against Rotheram but didn't press home our advantage.
Yesterday both of their goals came from trying to play short passing football in our own half. Teams simply push up on us so the game ends up being played mostly in our own half. When we do try to play more directly we still have 5 players sitting back and not pushing up.
Much as I admire Gomez for the way he has engendered a real feel good factor back into the team and fans I worry that against better teams in our remaining fixtures we could be in real trouble. I hope I'm wrong!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gomez tactics may still take us down

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 09:41

Their first goal came from a poor throw from the keeper trying to set up an attack, not from short passing.
Their second came after we were robbed of the ball dribbling across the centre circle (arguably illegally)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Mar 2019 09:48

Neither goals yesterday were the result of Gomes tactics. We've an inexperienced unsettled team that is being formed in front of our eyes. Just have to accept what we see and focus on the longer term.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2019 09:57

One defeat in EIGHT (to a top three side) says Gomes has it smack on

We are no way ready go be a top six side. to do well means Gomes’ management is spot on!
Last edited by Snowball on 10 Mar 2019 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 Mar 2019 09:58

Some people. :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Mar 2019 09:58

I would say the goal from the throw out, I thought that was the second goal rather than the first as Nameless stated, was definitely at least partly down to Gomez tactics.

Unless Martinez came up with a seventh "scenario" that Gomez doesn't know about.
Last edited by sandman on 10 Mar 2019 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 10:06

sandman I would say the goal from the throw out, I thought that was the second goal rather than the first, was definitely at least partly down to Gomes tactics.

Unless Martinez came up with a seventh "scenario" that Gomes doesn't know about.

The suggestion was both goals came because we were playing short passes in our own half, which neither did.
The throw was probably one of the multi variations we practice apparently and would have been superb but for the Wigan player in the way !

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 10 Mar 2019 10:15

Did anyone notice gmac bollocking martinez for kicking it long just before he threw it short for the goal?

Before this most of his kicks were going long with mixed success. So not sure if Gomes had advised him to kick long prior to the game and other players took it upon themselves to revert back to Stam ball?
Last edited by Jagermesiter1871 on 10 Mar 2019 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Mar 2019 11:48

It's Gomes ffs.

You're the same twats who constantly spelled Adkins 'Atkins' aren't you?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Mar 2019 11:49

Nameless Their first goal came from a poor throw from the keeper trying to set up an attack, not from short passing.
Their second came after we were robbed of the ball dribbling across the centre circle (arguably illegally)

Wrong way around. And if you can't take the risk of trying to play football in the centre of the pitch when your team are set up properly and not out of position then you are unlikely to create much going forwards.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Mar 2019 11:58

tidus_mi2 It's Gomes ffs.

You're the same twats who constantly spelled Adkins 'Atkins' aren't you?

Paddy20 for sure was one of the "Atkins" brigade.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 12:01

RoyalBlue
Nameless Their first goal came from a poor throw from the keeper trying to set up an attack, not from short passing.

Wrong way around. And if you can't take the risk of trying to play football in the centre of the pitch when your team are set up properly and not out of position then you are unlikely to create much going forwards.

I was working backwards from now and therefore the first goal I came to was the throw out :oops:
Didn't think there was too much wrong with what Ejaria was doing, other than he lost the ball !!!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Mar 2019 12:12

If we go down from this position then it will be because our two best strikers are injured along with four of our six senior midfielders.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 10 Mar 2019 12:23

Posters who can't spell our managers name will take this fan-site down

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 10 Mar 2019 12:39

Nameless
RoyalBlue

I was working backwards from now and therefore the first goal I came to was the throw out :oops:
Didn't think there was too much wrong with what Ejaria was doing, other than he lost the ball !!!

If you watched the build up to their first goal, the initial error came from Baker player a very low percentage ball out from the back towards Blackett. Ejaria did a decent job of getting possession back and then lost it to James. So I think it did come from playing out from the back. You often have to go back a little further in the build up to see where the problem started

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Mar 2019 12:58

PistolPete Posters who can't spell our managers name will take this fan-site down

Remember when we used to have a stickied thread about all the times news articles referred to Paul Kitson and Kevin Harper? Now we're the ones who don't know our own players' names.

I can forgive references to Dariusz and Zurab, and actually don't really mind bad spelling in general, but the constant references to "Lori" were quite irritating.

(Also it should be "manager's name" if you mean "the name of Jose Gomes" or "managers' names" if you are referring to the pattern dating back to "Rogers" and "Atkins")

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 10 Mar 2019 13:10

I find this thread pretty ridiculous. Any tactic that doesn't come off could lead to a defeat. If we played a long ball that was won by the opposition who subsequently scored as a result of winning it the argument is the same as going short and losing it. It's just more obvious. He has his philosophy, he won't change it and nor should he. Apart from Meite and Bod the players we have are better suited to a short game. If we decided to change and go long you would not be playing to strengths of the majority of our players who are currently available to play.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 10 Mar 2019 13:57

The tactics yesterday were totally wrong. Whilst passing from the back is admirable, when you have a bumpy pitch a swirling wind you play to the conditions. We were overrun in midfield, when we did have the ball our first thought was to go backwards we did not look comfortable at any stage. The last 10 minutes when we did start hit long things happened in and around there box. We got out of jail yesterday but against a top team we would have been hammered.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2019 14:35

I'm not aboard the Gomes hype train, and even I think this is a ridiculous thread to start after our first double win in two years.

:shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2019 14:39

SCIAG
PistolPete Posters who can't spell our managers name will take this fan-site down

Remember when we used to have a stickied thread about all the times news articles referred to Paul Kitson and Kevin Harper? Now we're the ones who don't know our own players' names.

I can forgive references to Dariusz and Zurab, and actually don't really mind bad spelling in general, but the constant references to "Lori" were quite irritating.

(Also it should be "manager's name" if you mean "the name of Jose Gomes" or "managers' names" if you are referring to the pattern dating back to "Rogers" and "Atkins")

I find it incredibly disrespectful. At least from posters who can otherwise spell and have been told multiple times what the real spelling is.

Llori - a welsh international presumably
McLeary

Thr two that piss me off the most. McCleary has been here for years ffs.

Its not like theyre long complex foreign names based on an alien pronunciation.