BFTG Leeds Home

151 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: BFTG Leeds Home

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Mar 2019 09:36

Coppells Lost Coat
Old Man Andrews
Coppells Lost Coat
Very harsh to make comments in the press like this. Yeah we can see he didn't have a great game but he played what 25 mins??? and got injured after 15? And the 2nd goal was from a hospital pass from Martinez.

Would have been better if he said he was looking at other options as he has a large squad.

Managers, press and supporters have been giving Liam Kelly a free ride since he came into the first team and it is about time a manager said it like it is. Liam Kelly is 23, he isn't a 17 year old kid just coming into the first team ffs. He needs to deliver on a consistent basis and he never has done. He is weak on or off the ball and can't tackle either. He has nothing to offer us and should be sold in the summer.

I am not defending Kelly, just why bring up a game where he played 25 mins?? Just lacking a bit of class.
He doesn't suit the style we want, we dont have the players we need to allow him to play = Kelly doesn't play. Not have a go for playing 25 mins and getting injured in a loss.

Was he really injured though? Perhaps he just didn't fancy it and Gomes saw through him.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Mar 2019 09:46

LWJ In the first half we had 3 good chances, and missed them. Leeds had 1 good chance and 2 half chances and buried them.

They then didn't need to get out of second gear really.

Can't blame Gomes, team racked full of injuries so he's limited on options. He's trying to build a philosophy into our game, so why change it for a game everyone expected us to lose anyway? Might as well keep it going and find the holes he needs to work on.

We deserved to lose, i'm not sure 3-0 was a fair reflection.

Agreed with this.

Seen us play much worse this season and Leeds were the better team. Not really much else to say about it, just move on.

Ref bottled it with Ayling, so much so, that they hauled him off straight after.

Results went for us last night, which was pleasing.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 13 Mar 2019 10:27

LWJ We deserved to lose, i'm not sure 3-0 was a fair reflection.

I agree with that but, on the other hand, Leeds missed at least two guilt edged chances in the second half so it could, and should, have been 5 - 0 although Ayling should have been sent off for a nailed on second bookable offence.

We didn't play that badly but we need a settled team who can make partnerships and get to know each others' play. Obviously injuries have prevented this and we have been very unlucky in that respect. We had to use three academy players in the squad last night. Olise didn't get many minutes to achieve anything, East looked useful but Loader is too light-weight.

Of the other players, Yiadom was MOM by a margin in my view; Meite worked hard and had some nice touches; Harriott injected a bit of pace and menace when he came on after an hour. Swift continues to frustrate us showing some nice examples of class before losing the ball too easily.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 13 Mar 2019 10:29

marlowuk

I agree with that but, on the other hand, Leeds missed at least two guilt edged chances in the second half so it could, and should, have been 5 - 0 although Ayling should have been sent off for a nailed on second bookable offence.

I'd argue we missed two or three ourselves, but yeah Bamford really should have done better.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 13 Mar 2019 10:39

Firstly, raving on about Leeds. I thought Sheffield Utd were a much better and stronger all round ‘team’ than LUFC.

Things I don’t get
1) constantly complaining about the size of the squad but there never seems to be anyone to select from.
Understand injuries, but you can’t rely on one loanee striker to be the messiah.
2) Swift. Has been the constant figure for Gomes, but his passing, positional play and vision are woeful.
Hopeless at marking and tackling, gets caught virtually every time and never seems to pull of a decent shot anymore but comes up with a free kick goal every twentieth match. He simply isn’t the man to base a team around.
There was a point last night where he passed to someone (Barrow?) two feet away who then drove forward and Swift ran two feet behind him all the way up the pitch. but Barrow had no one to pass the final ball to because Swift was standing directly behind him. Bizarre.

Left at half time (first time ever). I refuse to sit in the home end amongst predominantly Leeds fans overtly chanting and provoking because the ticket office feel the need to sell tickets to anyone.
Doesn’t happen anywhere else.
The point of giving them half the normal allocation was to reduce the volume of the away team to aid our own support, not to spread their support all around the ground to make it even more louder ffs..

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 13 Mar 2019 10:44

LWJ
marlowuk

I'd argue we missed two or three ourselves, but yeah Bamford really should have done better.

We worked the ball well at times, got in some really dangerous positions, but then the lack of quality showed for the final touch / shot / pass.
Think the goals we conceded were unfortunate, if barrow doesn't slip it stays 0-0. 2nd and 3rd goals were decent strikes into the corners, he wont score 2 like that again anytime soon.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Mar 2019 10:47

Pandoras Box Firstly, raving on about Leeds. I thought Sheffield Utd were a much better and stronger all round ‘team’ than LUFC.

Things I don’t get
1) constantly complaining about the size of the squad but there never seems to be anyone to select from.
Understand injuries, but you can’t rely on one loanee striker to be the messiah.
2) Swift. Has been the constant figure for Gomes, but his passing, positional play and vision are woeful.
Hopeless at marking and tackling, gets caught virtually every time and never seems to pull of a decent shot anymore but comes up with a free kick goal every twentieth match. He simply isn’t the man to base a team around.
There was a point last night where he passed to someone (Barrow?) two feet away who then drove forward and Swift ran two feet behind him all the way up the pitch. but Barrow had no one to pass the final ball to because Swift was standing directly behind him. Bizarre.

Left at half time (first time ever). I refuse to sit in the home end amongst predominantly Leeds fans overtly chanting and provoking because the ticket office feel the need to sell tickets to anyone.
The point of giving them half the normal allocation was to reduce the volume of the away team to aid our own support, not to spread their support all around the ground to make it even more louder ffs..

You could have sat somewhere else?

Anyway - agree about Swift. I watched it on Sky as I was working late and frankly it confirmed exactly my thoughts on Swift. He gets the ball and is in a position to release it quickly, instead he tries to go round players, and then do it again, unfortunately he's not playing in Div 2 and runs into trouble and loses it. Gets a free kick/corner. Delivery is consistently poor.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Mar 2019 10:48

We started quite well but by the time it was 2-0 we had given up. Given the squad he had as his disposal I wouldn't hurry to blame Gomes but throwing a 17 year old in against 2nd in the league wouldn't have been my choice.

We were backing off so much at times we invited those long range strikes and it was only their wasteful finishing in the second half that stopped it being quite embarrassing.

Disappointed to be surrounded by Leeds fans in our own stand.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Mar 2019 10:51

John Smith We started quite well but by the time it was 2-0 we had given up. Given the squad he had as his disposal I wouldn't hurry to blame Gomes but throwing a 17 year old in against 2nd in the league wouldn't have been my choice.

We were backing off so much at times we invited those long range strikes and it was only their wasteful finishing in the second half that stopped it being quite embarrassing.

Disappointed to be surrounded by Leeds fans in our own stand.

Complain to the club. It's not acceptable.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 13 Mar 2019 10:58

Thoughts:

:arrow: Unlike a previous poster, I rate Swift highly; you can't have a team of cloggers and Swift is the best defence 'un-locker' we have. He had a poor game last nigh though.
:arrow: Miazga and Moore looked good, but missed a proper defensive shield kind of player in front. Rinhomota is not it although good at it, he's more box-to-box. A priority in the summer has to be this kind of player (Ezelolahi?!)
:arrow: East played well after a rabbit in the headlights first 25 minutes. He's tiny, and it's in Leeds DNA to take advantage!
:arrow: Loader had another poor game. I'm all for playing him, but wonder if he needs to be played on the left, as he did at youth level?
:arrow: Hernandez was the big difference - that's pleasing to say about two teams at the top and bottom of the leagues.
:arrow: Yiadom was superb.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Mar 2019 11:10

I've thought some more about the game and what we may need to do going forward and I think we can all agree that, where possible, that back 5 should not change.

Tim said several times last week and yesterday that Gomes should put Blackett in as a DM. Whilst I could see Blackett being reasonable there and certainly having the athletic and physical attributes as well as the on the ball ability he lacks the positioning and off the ball timing to truly stamp any authority on the game. His concentration has been poor in the past and I dont think disturbing a set back line is worth it just for a "maybe it will work".

Baker has been really quite decent in that role for the last 3 games. His tackling isn't superb but he does track his man and makes more of a nuisance of himself than others have been capable of when played there. Also his range of passing is good and attitude has been excellent. I would worry about pairing him with Kelly (despite thinking it a good idea before the Leeds game) they are too similar a type of player and Baker is superior in almost every way.

So I think East is the best shout to start along side him on Saturday. He didn't look too bad and hopefully wont have any confidence issues. With Baker being such a vocal player I think it might work to have someone who can take an order in the lineup next to him until Rinomhota or Ejaria return.

The front 4 was messy. Not through too much of their own fault (Leeds really cushioned them out of playing well) but there were just a few too many mistakes. Both McCleary and Harriott looked more confident and physical when they came on. Harriott in particular (who I wrote off often when his name was put forward before his return from injury) looks hungry and powerful.

I would like to see:
-----------------Martinez
Yiadom--Miazga--Moore--Blackett
--------------Baker--East
Harriott--------Swift-------McCleary
-------------------Meite

For the next game. Slightly harsh on Barrow who has been mostly ok and threatened from time to time last night but I feel we would be more sound defensively and stronger in the ball in the final third with this line up.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 13 Mar 2019 11:12

leon You could have sat somewhere else?

Anyway - agree about Swift. I watched it on Sky as I was working late and frankly it confirmed exactly my thoughts on Swift. He gets the ball and is in a position to release it quickly, instead he tries to go round players, and then do it again, unfortunately he's not playing in Div 2 and runs into trouble and loses it. Gets a free kick/corner. Delivery is consistently poor.

Of course, but as an ST holder, why should I? And I couldn’t see an area not sold to Leeds.
Ok, don’t mind the ones that simply clap when they score, but those pr1cks in 1871 hospitality!
At Wolves, they wouldn’t even sell me a car park space saved for football in the town, because my phone code was not from the Midlands!

And yes I have complained to the club. The same as when I complained that Twitter was aflame with LUFC boasting that they were buying en masses in the home ends - which was ignored with no reply.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 13 Mar 2019 11:12

Pandoras Box Firstly, raving on about Leeds. I thought Sheffield Utd were a much better and stronger all round ‘team’ than LUFC.

Things I don’t get

A group of Leeds supporters near me were asked to leave - someone complained to the stewards. I know there's an instinctive reaction against grassing people up, but you could have done that.

I don't think there's genuinely a way that the club can stop supporters of other clubs buying tickets, how can you tell? And Reading supporters have done the same at other games. But it's not acceptable if you're in the "wrong" end to cheer on your own team, and they should have been chucked out.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Mar 2019 11:16

muirinho

Things I don’t get

A group of Leeds supporters near me were asked to leave - someone complained to the stewards. I know there's an instinctive reaction against grassing people up, but you could have done that.

I don't think there's genuinely a way that the club can stop supporters of other clubs buying tickets, how can you tell? And Reading supporters have done the same at other games. But it's not acceptable if you're in the "wrong" end to cheer on your own team, and they should have been chucked out.

Would there be a membership number associated with the seat?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 13 Mar 2019 11:18

Pandoras Box The point of giving them half the normal allocation was to reduce the volume of the away team to aid our own support, not to spread their support all around the ground to make it even more louder ffs..

Where do you sit? Plenty removed by stewards as soon as people pointed them out...

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 13 Mar 2019 11:20

PistolPete :arrow: Yiadom was superb.

Could only watch the first half but did nobody else think it was a bit worrying that the right back was often the furthest player forward when Leeds were quite easily getting the ball back and happily passing straight through our midfield. Its ok when you're chasing a game in the last 10 minutes but in a first half against a team who are clearly one of the best teams in the division?

biff

by biff » 13 Mar 2019 11:27

I had two Leeds fans next to me in y26. They kept quiet, we had a decent chat, pint at half time, and wished them well. But then I'm not a bedwetting Readimong.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 13 Mar 2019 11:28

leon
muirinho

Things I don’t get

Would there be a membership number associated with the seat?

You don't have to have a member card to buy a ticket. Definitely if some of those seats belonged to season ticket holders, who allowed Leeds supporters to sit there (who then behaved like dicks), then there should be some kind of comeback.

But if they just bought in general sale, then as it stands right now, nothing the club can do.

Perhaps, they could introduce buying restrictions for certain games - you must have a member card, and you must have bought at least X number of tickets previously. But you don't want to get to restrictive in general, because Reading need to encourage casual fans to come along without throwing too many obstacles in the way.

biff

by biff » 13 Mar 2019 11:32

If Blackett hadn't bottled that challenge with Ayling before HT we may have a marginally more joy. He's a yellow, just bust a gut to get there first and take the hit.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 13 Mar 2019 11:41

Old Man Andrews
sandman Was starting to warm to Gomes but this and refusing to play Meite as a striker when we have a shortage up front make me doubt him.

He rotates the front 3, Meite then tends to go central later in the games. I don't have a massive issue with it in the absence of Oliveira.

Yeah that.

And he's actually pretty good at receiving from Martinez out wide, turning and running through into space

151 posts