Nine Very Difficult Games - Predictions?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Nine Very Difficult Games - Predictions?

by Hound » 19 Mar 2019 07:23

Zip
Hound Well yeah - we signed O Shea (6ft 3), Meyler (6ft 2), Ezatolahi (6ft 2), Walker (6ft 7), gave Meite (6ft 1?) a long contract and signed an aggressive FB in Yiadom.

This to add to first teamers Jaakkola, Moore, Ilori, Blackett, Bodvarsson who all above 6ft. From standing near Rino I’m guessing he is 6ft plus as well

As usual with Clement it wasn’t so much that he didn’t recognise the issue, it’s just that the options were either cheap and low cost or just not good enough. He certainly didn’t try to make the team ‘smaller’

Well the big players he signed have hardly played apart from Meite so nothing was solved.

Well that’s kind of my point. Neither have McNulty, Baldock and Sims when he was here

I fully expect Clement in the summer tried to make us a bigger more physical side (Kelly and McNulty would never have been part of his backbone) but due to cheap gambles not being good enough, but mainly injuries to Eza, Rino and Bod - just hasn’t turned out that way and we’ve ended up going back to lightweights from the U23/ back up squad

Looking back at say the Brentford away game which I think was just before Eza got injured, the only players in the side below 6ft were Barrow and Yiadom who I think is a little under

Even now we could well line up with:

Martinez, Yiadom, Blackett, Miazga, Moore, Baker, Rino, Swift, Ejaria, Meite, McCleary for our next game. None are small and certainly not midgets

Anyway round about way of saying its the injury to Bod and Eza/ surprising rubbishness of Meyler which has been the big issue rather than not identifying the problem. Where I would concede, and maybe didn't at the time is that Gomes should have brought in a DM rather than Ejaria or Baker on loan in Jan. The midfield is obvs a little soft, even with Rino in there

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 19 Mar 2019 09:51

I did honest results and the predictor had us finishing in 20th place above Wigan and Rotherham. Surprisingly Rotherham only get another 4 points and Wigan only get 1

Ahhh...

https://youtu.be/pAynVw2lYnI

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Mar 2019 09:53

Reading4eva I did honest results and the predictor had us finishing in 20th place above Wigan and Rotherham. Surprisingly Rotherham only get another 4 points and Wigan only get 1

Ahhh...

But, but, Bournemouth aren't in the same league as Rotherham? I'm very confused.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 19 Mar 2019 10:07

John Smith
Reading4eva I did honest results and the predictor had us finishing in 20th place above Wigan and Rotherham. Surprisingly Rotherham only get another 4 points and Wigan only get 1

Ahhh...

But, but, Bournemouth aren't in the same league as Rotherham? I'm very confused.

Its getting old now

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Mar 2019 11:28

Zip
Hound Well yeah - we signed O Shea (6ft 3), Meyler (6ft 2), Ezatolahi (6ft 2), Walker (6ft 7), gave Meite (6ft 1?) a long contract and signed an aggressive FB in Yiadom.

This to add to first teamers Jaakkola, Moore, Ilori, Blackett, Bodvarsson who all above 6ft. From standing near Rino I’m guessing he is 6ft plus as well

As usual with Clement it wasn’t so much that he didn’t recognise the issue, it’s just that the options were either cheap and low cost or just not good enough. He certainly didn’t try to make the team ‘smaller’

Well the big players he signed have hardly played apart from Meite so nothing was solved.

Execution turned out poor, but strategy was spot on.

Execution is proving better currently, although strategy seems less sound to me.

In either case injuries are scuppering any attempts to resolve our problems more than anything else.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Mar 2019 12:50

Hound
Zip

Well that’s kind of my point. Neither have McNulty, Baldock and Sims when he was here

I fully expect Clement in the summer tried to make us a bigger more physical side (Kelly and McNulty would never have been part of his backbone) but due to cheap gambles not being good enough, but mainly injuries to Eza, Rino and Bod - just hasn’t turned out that way and we’ve ended up going back to lightweights from the U23/ back up squad

Looking back at say the Brentford away game which I think was just before Eza got injured, the only players in the side below 6ft were Barrow and Yiadom who I think is a little under

Even now we could well line up with:

Martinez, Yiadom, Blackett, Miazga, Moore, Baker, Rino, Swift, Ejaria, Meite, McCleary for our next game. None are small and certainly not midgets

Anyway round about way of saying its the injury to Bod and Eza/ surprising rubbishness of Meyler which has been the big issue rather than not identifying the problem. Where I would concede, and maybe didn't at the time is that Gomes should have brought in a DM rather than Ejaria or Baker on loan in Jan. The midfield is obvs a little soft, even with Rino in there

Rinomhota is 5ft8 on football manager...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2019 12:53

I think he's grown :)

He posed for a pic with my kids, nice guy that he is. Definitely bigger than 5ft 8. Looking at the pic he is a bit shorter than Osho and McIntyre, so guessing 5ft11-6ft

russyb

by russyb » 19 Mar 2019 13:06

Looks Like Bolton are in serious trouble now, their proposed takeover is in the can and they have a high court hearing tomorrow. They may be disolved or at best given 12 point deduction. Not sure where that would leave the rest of us in the relegation battle.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2019 13:08

Bolton were as good as down anyway imo

Where things would get interesting and beneficial for us is if their results got expunged being as we only got 1 point of them

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Mar 2019 13:14

Hound I think he's grown :)

He posed for a pic with my kids, nice guy that he is. Definitely bigger than 5ft 8. Looking at the pic he is a bit shorter than Osho and McIntyre, so guessing 5ft11-6ft

Maybe he's one of those people who looks taller than he is? Like Mike Tyson. Or maybe your kids have shrunk?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 19 Mar 2019 13:28

russyb Looks Like Bolton are in serious trouble now, their proposed takeover is in the can and they have a high court hearing tomorrow. They may be disolved or at best given 12 point deduction. Not sure where that would leave the rest of us in the relegation battle.

Birmingham may also get 12 its deducted so will give us another to fight against

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2019 13:38

NewCorkSeth
Hound I think he's grown :)

Maybe he's one of those people who looks taller than he is? Like Mike Tyson. Or maybe your kids have shrunk?

quite possibly. I'm 5ft11 and I thought he was at least as tall as me. Still I'm knocking on a bit now, maybe its me shrinking

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Mar 2019 14:14

Hound Bolton were as good as down anyway imo

Where things would get interesting and beneficial for us is if their results got expunged being as we only got 1 point of them

It wouldn't have a massive difference but would bunch things up even more - in the unlikely event Bolton hit the wall tomorrow:

17. Swansea P36 41pts GD -4
18. QPR P37 41pts GD -13
19. Millwall P35 36pts GD -13
20. Reading P36 36pts GD -15
21. Wigan P36 35pts GD -19
=============================
22. Rotherham P36 35pts GD-20
23. Ipswich P37 23pts GD -32

So Wigan would be the big losers, dropping 4 points and losing +3 GD. QPR would be looking over their shoulder more as all those below would be 5 or 6 back but with a game in hand.

Swansea brought back to the fringes of the battle as they would lose 6 points.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Mar 2019 19:33

4 Points gained first two games from DW

12 48 John Smith --------------requires 8 points from 7 games

11 47 Old Man Andrews ----requires 7 points from 7 games
11 47 Jar 95 --------------------------requires 7 points from 7 games
11 47 Maneki Neko ---------------requires 7 points from 7 games

10 46 Hendo --------requires 6 points from 7 games
10 46 Hound --------requires 6 points from 7 games
10 46 Snowball --------requires 6 points from 7 games

09 45 Country Royal --------requires 5 points from 7 games
09 45 Royalp-we -------------requires 5 points from 7 games

08 44 URZZZ --------requires 4 points from 7 games

07 43 Windermere Royal --------requires 3 points from 7 games
07 43 Basildon ----------------------requires 3 points from 7 games

06 42 Royal Bee ----------------------requires 2 points from 7 games
05 42 Bcubed ----------------------requires 2 points from 7 games

05 41 Snowflake Royal ------ requires a single point from 7 games

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Apr 2019 17:23

So Jar95 and Royalp_we are the only two still on track, let's hope they're both wrong with their Wednesday night predictions

Royal Bee

by Royal Bee » 01 May 2019 09:21

Royal Bee Stoke City (Away) – I predicted a Draw - We drew 0-0... I started well! :D
Preston (Home) – I predicted a Draw - We won 2-1... Oh me of little faith!
Hull City (Away) – I predicted a Loss - We Lost 3-1... Started with 2 out of 3
Norwich (Away) – I predicted a Loss - We drew 2-2... A major shock :D

Brentford (Home) – I predicted a Loss - We won 2-1. Gutted I was away. My boss is a Bees fan! :lol:
Bristol City (Away) – I predicted a Loss - We drew 1-1. Again, this has to be seen as a shock
West Brom (Home) – I predicted a Draw - We drew 0-0
Middlesboro (Away) – I predicted a Loss - We lost 2-1. I expected that!
Birmingham (Home) – I predicted a Win - At the time, I said, "Nice one to finish with, but with hard games preceding it, confidence may be low! If we need a win, I think we will get it!". However, only 2 loss in the last 8, our confidence is better than I thought it would be at this point and we go against a Brum team who have won just 2 of their last 11

I think 42 points would just about do it! Anything more will be a bonus!
That last statement didn't take into account how well the bottom teams would do. We've all had a strong finish to the season!. If my predictions were correct, we would currently be on 39 points and IN the relegation zone! Sometimes, I just LOVE being wrong! :lol:

I got 4 of 8 correct and in the other 4, the team did better than I expected

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 May 2019 09:39

Hah, I got just ONE actual result right out of the first 8 games
but I predicted 46 points after Birmingham.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 May 2019 10:02

So a win on the final day of the season will see the club exceed everyone's expectations :lol:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 May 2019 13:17

Hendo So a win on the final day of the season will see the club exceed everyone's expectations :lol:

A win with other results going our way could see us up to the dizzy heights of 18th!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2019 13:20

I know it matters little, but would be really nice not to finish below Millwall and QPR