MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a) sponsored by Dave Kitson

182 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a) sponsored by Dave Kitson

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2019 11:16

Snowflake Royal I've not seen lots of House, but I get the impression he would be more suited to leading the line than Loader.

No idea why you'd pick him over our top scorer though.

Meite had a purple patch October/November time, apart from that he's been poor. But he's not a striker anyway, he's much better on the right wing

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2019 11:20

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal I've not seen lots of House, but I get the impression he would be more suited to leading the line than Loader.

Meite had a purple patch October/November time, apart from that he's been poor. But he's not a striker anyway, he's much better on the right wing

He had that purple patch because Clement showed faith in him, giving him a prolonged run, and we played more to his strengths.

He's much the same in either position IMO. He's too clumsy to justify playing wing compared to our other options there, especially when he could bd playing striker where we have virtually none.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Mar 2019 11:21

URZZZZ
John Smith
URZZZZ I wonder if we can recall Ben house from Swindon? He’s not getting a look in there, although that begs the question if he can’t get a game there, will he be anywhere near ready here

If someone can't get in the Swindon team you want them here? What a weird and clueless suggestion.

Denver Royal +1

Very harsh. Snowflake Royal makes a lot of good points and is a supporter. Denver you would do well to follow suit.

Can do no worse than Meite or Loader, put it that way

Right so someone who has scored 7 goals, many of which important, as well as having a large impact on other play around him...or a youngster who can't get into the Swindon team? Are you mental? Have you only started watching football last week?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2019 11:22

John Smith
URZZZZ
John Smith If someone can't get in the Swindon team you want them here? What a weird and clueless suggestion.

Very harsh. Snowflake Royal makes a lot of good points and is a supporter. Denver you would do well to follow suit.

Right so someone who has scored 7 goals, many of which important, as well as having a large impact on other play around him...or a youngster who can't get into the Swindon team? Are you mental? Have you only started watching football last week?

John, its Urzz you're best not getting involved in a football debate.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2019 11:23

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

He had that purple patch because Clement showed faith in him, giving him a prolonged run, and we played more to his strengths.

He's much the same in either position IMO. He's too clumsy to justify playing wing compared to our other options there, especially when he could bd playing striker where we have virtually none.

My feeling though is that on the wing he can pick the ball up and have a go at their defence. Generally, playing striker you have your back to the goal and his holdup play is non existent. Add to the fact fullbacks are generally smaller so he's a good outlet in the air if we're struggling against a high press

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2019 11:33

Old Man Andrews
John Smith
URZZZZ

Two of the most clueless posters in one debate, fantastic :|

I haven't said drop Meite. I said put him on the wing, because he cannot hold the ball up to save his life. There's no point of keeping a youngster on loan if they're not playing, they'd be better off developing here anyway. We keep playing that front four, and we go down, it's as simple as that

We have no other goalscoring threats. Rotherham score set pieces, Millwall score set pieces, Wigan's midfield chip in with goals. We don't. We're over reliant on our attackers scoring. At the moment, the quarter of McCleary, Swift, Barrow and Meite aren't delivering. Something HAS to change

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2019 11:36

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
John Smith Right so someone who has scored 7 goals, many of which important, as well as having a large impact on other play around him...or a youngster who can't get into the Swindon team? Are you mental? Have you only started watching football last week?

I haven't said drop Meite. I said put him on the wing, because he cannot hold the ball up to save his life. There's no point of keeping a youngster on loan if they're not playing, they'd be better off developing here anyway. We keep playing that front four, and we go down, it's as simple as that

We have no other goalscoring threats. Rotherham score set pieces, Millwall score set pieces, Wigan's midfield chip in with goals. We don't. We're over reliant on our attackers scoring. At the moment, the quarter of McCleary, Swift, Barrow and Meite aren't delivering. Something HAS to change

It is clueless to suggest someone who can't get into the Swindon Town team should come back to Reading and play in a Championship relegation battle. You just don't understand football.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2019 11:38

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

It is clueless to suggest someone who can't get into the Swindon Town team should come back to Reading and play in a Championship relegation battle. You just don't understand football.

It's clueless to suggest two lightweight midfielders who have never played first team football before to play ahead of an established player like Kelly but that didn't stop you. And as predicted, both weren't good enough. Now get back under your bridge

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2019 11:40

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

It's clueless to suggest two lightweight midfielders who have never played first team football before to play ahead of an established player like Kelly but that didn't stop you. And as predicted, both weren't good enough. Now get back under your bridge

The manager picks the team not me. Are you saying that you know more than a professional football manager who works with our players on a daily basis? You really are up the creek without a paddle, you have said something stupid so just admit it and move on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2019 11:44

Barrow's scored a few recently but get the point

Meite was outstanding for 2-3 games in the CF role before he got injured. I think he can do the role, but its not happening for him at the moment.

truth is though, we don't have many other options. Sounds like Baldock may be fit for Preston, but he isn't a great focal point. Also not played for ages.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2019 11:45

Hound Barrow's scored a few recently but get the point

Meite was outstanding for 2-3 games in the CF role before he got injured. I think he can do the role, but its not happening for him at the moment.

truth is though, we don't have many other options. Sounds like Baldock may be fit for Preston, but he isn't a great focal point. Also not played for ages.

But he is better than a kid who can't get into the Swindon Town team like Urrzz is suggesting.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2019 11:46

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

The manager picks the team not me. Are you saying that you know more than a professional football manager who works with our players on a daily basis? You really are up the creek without a paddle, you have said something stupid so just admit it and move on.

Did I ever say we should play Ben House anywhere? I said we should recall him. Then Gomes can take a look at him. He won't be good enough. But his physicality is more suited to this style than little Danny Loader. And it means Meite can shift over to the wing where I think he's slightly better

Is he an optimal solution? No, absolutely not. But are we scoring goals at the moment, no. Take out the Wigan game where none of the goals should have counted and our scoring record is pathetic.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Mar 2019 11:47

Old Man Andrews

But he is better than a kid who can't get into the Swindon Town team like Urrzz is suggesting.

Exactly. He also scored in the reverse fixture at Deepdale which could suggest he is a handful for their centre backs. He is also experienced at this level.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2019 11:50

Worst thing he did was sell McNulty knowing Baldock was out for many months. A great call from Gomes :roll: Now he's banging them in for fun and we're stuck with a puppy chasing his own tail up front

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2019 11:53

URZZZZ

Worst thing he did was sell McNulty knowing Baldock was out for many months. A great call from Gomes :roll: Now he's banging them in for fun and we're stuck with a puppy chasing his own tail up front

He plays in the ability equivalent of League 2 (which is McNulty's level)

We don't play anywhere near the type of football to suit McNulty's skill set

Meite literally scored the winning goal in a crucial game 2 weeks ago

You are beyond help.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2019 11:57

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

You are beyond help.

If you know where the goal is, you know where the goal is

Since McNulty joined Hibs, he's had 18 shots, 12 on target and 6 goals, making him their joint second top scorer. This is achieved in a month and a half. He has a goal every 80 minutes

McNulty is actually a clever little player. He finds pockets of space well and has played a few decent passes in his very limited time. He;s not the lightweight striker most perceive him to be

Meite's goal was a clear foul. Miazga bundled his marker to the floor so he had a free header

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2019 12:00

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

You are beyond help.

Since McNulty joined Hibs, he's had 18 shots, 12 on target and 6 goals, making him their joint second top scorer. This is achieved in a month and a half. He has a goal every 80 minutes

McNulty is actually a clever little player. He finds pockets of space well and has played a few decent passes in his very limited time. He;s not the lightweight striker most perceive him to be

Meite's goal was a clear foul. Miazga bundled his marker to the floor so he had a free header

Thanks for proving my point Urzz................

How clever was McNulty for us? How many goals did he score? Are you suggesting Gomes should completely changes the way we play in order to accomodate McNulty? What has Miazga fouling someone got to do with Meite's finishing ability?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2019 12:06

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

You are beyond help.

How clever was McNulty for us? How many goals did he score? Are you suggesting Gomes should completely changes the way we play in order to accomodate McNulty? What has Miazga fouling someone got to do with Meite's finishing ability?

Well, he's scored 1 more than Danny Loader has

He played an exquisite through ball for Meite in the cup (one of Meite's best games, funnily enough off the wing). Your average striker wouldn't have been able to play that pass

But he's barely played? What do you expect. And as I said, McNulty could easily fit in with this style, you're suggesting Baldock who is more lightweight than McNulty

I wasn't questioning his finishing ability. He wouldn't have had a free header if Miazga didn't bundle Meite's marker to the floor. So he wouldn't have scored. It was a nice header. But it doesn't make me change my mind that he's completely useless as a striker

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2019 12:07

I expect he loaned McNulty a) because he'd been asked to cut the wage bill b( because we had Oliveira coming in and c) Bod was expected to be fit

Oliveira/Bod/Meite/Loader with Baldock coming back in April should have been ok. Not a fan of blaming managers for injuries when he clearly was tasked with clearing out the squad. We had too many CFs and he had to get rid of some

The thing that scares me a bit more is that Meite has played every game since he almost went out on loan. We'd be ridiculously short if he'd gone as well

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2019 12:10

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Well, he's scored 1 more than Danny Loader has

He played an exquisite through ball for Meite in the cup (one of Meite's best games, funnily enough off the wing). Your average striker wouldn't have been able to play that pass

But he's barely played? What do you expect. And as I said, McNulty could easily fit in with this style, you're suggesting Baldock who is more lightweight than McNulty

I wasn't questioning his finishing ability. He wouldn't have had a free header if Miazga didn't bundle Meite's marker to the floor. So he wouldn't have scored. It was a nice header. But it doesn't make me change my mind that he's completely useless as a striker

He has barely played because he wasn't cut out for it, doesn't fit our system at all and Gomes knows that. He is now up in Scotland scoring goals against Dundee United! Great achievement.

182 posts