168 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Apr 2019 08:54

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Stranded
Has Gunter not shown over the past 2 games that he is certainly good enough? You could make the argument that he wasn't initially suited to the way Gomes wants us to play but he has not put a foot wrong over the last 2 games.

Whether he would be worth keeping (or happy to stay) as a back-up is open to question of course.

I would be a tad foolish to discount years of him being generally just not quite good enough in favour of the last 2 games where he has admittedly been thoroughly decent.

Arguments could be made that he is playing well by virtue of the increased strength of the defense around him. He has certainly been better at closing down his man in the last 2 games (something he has more than struggled with in the past)

I think it's a tad foolish to suggest there has been years of him generally not being good enough, as that would be inaccurate. He has had a bad 12-18 months, coinciding with the team as a whole regressing but before that was more than solid. Gunter is pretty much a bellweather amongst Reading fans - if we're doing badly, Gunter gets the stick. Every team has a player like that, Gunter is ours.

I'm not someone revising history with him as the scapegoat I have almost always thought he wasnt good enough. I thought Stephen Kelly was better when we had him.

We've debated this to death on here and he will always be devisive but my opinion on him will not change. As you can see I'm happy to admit when he plays well as he has in the last 2 games. I cant and wont pretend a RB who cannot consistently mark or tackle to a championship standard has been unfairly victimised by a set of fans looking for excuses.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Apr 2019 09:02

+1

I actually think Gunter has been pretty consistent during his time here. Yes occasionally he has had quite a decent game, and on occasion he has been truly uncompromisingly shocking, but by and large, more often than not, week in week out he’s just pretty shit.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Apr 2019 09:16

Ok so there's no question that this was a good performance by some great players under a very good manager and a system that is working. Rino, Eja, Baker all fantastic, as was everyone else. Good deserved win. Back to Eja - it's amazing how a moment of flair from him can suddenly spur us on out of nothing. We've needed a player like this for ages.

My issue is why aren't we better than we are?

Looking throughout our starting 11 actually I think we have very good players. I can't think of a single position where we'd say we are below average - apart from Meite perhaps... who scored 2 goals!

On paper this team should be a playoff team. I guess beating Brentford at home with a totally dominant first 40mins or so is consistent with that, but now I'd like to see more.

The difficulty will be when some of these players go back to their clubs. If we manage to keep them all I really see them doing good things next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Apr 2019 09:21

I think we're basically performing like an edge of the play off team, which is where I see that line up at the moment

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 09:26

2 world wars, 1 world cup Ok so there's no question that this was a good performance by some great players under a very good manager and a system that is working. Rino, Eja, Baker all fantastic, as was everyone else. Good deserved win. Back to Eja - it's amazing how a moment of flair from him can suddenly spur us on out of nothing. We've needed a player like this for ages.

Looking throughout our starting 11 actually I think we have very good players. I can't think of a single position where we'd say we are below average - apart from Meite perhaps... who scored 2 goals!

On paper this team should be a playoff team. I guess beating Brentford at home with a totally dominant first 40mins or so is consistent with that, but now I'd like to see more.

The difficulty will be when some of these players go back to their clubs. If we manage to keep them all I really see them doing good things next season.

This team has only been together since the Bolton game - this was the first game when all the January signings were available.

If you take the Bolton game on January 29th as the start for this team then their record is:

P 14 W5 D6 L3 Pts 21

That is play-off form or close to it, which suggests that this current squad playing for this manager could push for the play-offs. The key will be next year (assuming we do enough over the next 4 games) to push on over 12 months with either these players or others of equal or better quality.

I do not expect us to be near the play-offs next season but I would hope we finally see some progression and a move to finish in that middle third of the table (9th to 16th) would be an excellent move forward,

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 15 Apr 2019 09:37

2 world wars, 1 world cup Ok so there's no question that this was a good performance by some great players under a very good manager and a system that is working. Rino, Eja, Baker all fantastic, as was everyone else. Good deserved win. Back to Eja - it's amazing how a moment of flair from him can suddenly spur us on out of nothing. We've needed a player like this for ages.

Think having a consistent bunch of players available and have now a pretty established 16 players to choose from now. Took us far to long to get the right balance in the squad. We were constantly having players out for 2 or 3 games chopping and changing and dropping players far to quickly.

+ some that have been shipped out could have been a negative influence in the back ground due to not playing or being bratty.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2019 11:10

CountryRoyal +1

I actually think Gunter has been pretty consistent during his time here. Yes occasionally he has had quite a decent game, and on occasion he has been truly uncompromisingly shocking, but by and large, more often than not, week in week out he’s just pretty shit.

This, except I'd describe him as mediocre and passive rather than pretty shit.

Also don't think his closing down was well executed against Brentford, but it was improved in that he was actually trying it.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Apr 2019 11:27

My first game for eight months so it was interesting to see a lot of players for the first time.

I thought we looked like a mid-table side tbh, nothing spectacular but just about did enough to win against a Brentford team who didn't turn up until 30mins in.

Gunter was great, wasn't taking any shit from anyone. Also, I know he spilled the free-kick but I thought the keeper looked decent as well.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Apr 2019 11:29

NewCorkSeth I would be a tad foolish to discount years of him being generally just not quite good enough in favour of the last 2 games where he has admittedly been thoroughly decent.

More foolish to claim that he's had years of not being good enough tbh

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Apr 2019 11:39

Silver Fox
NewCorkSeth I would be a tad foolish to discount years of him being generally just not quite good enough in favour of the last 2 games where he has admittedly been thoroughly decent.

See above response to similar comment and 2 voices of reason agreeing with me.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Apr 2019 11:58

NewCorkSeth
Silver Fox

Ian and Country?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 11:59

NewCorkSeth
Silver Fox

Just 2 more people being wrong.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Apr 2019 12:01

Silver Fox
NewCorkSeth
Silver Fox

Ian and Country?

Phenomenal gif use. Well played sir.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2019 12:27

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Silver Fox

3-Gomes has left him out for most of the time he has been here so presumably he is also wrong?.
BTW, Miazga was very guarded in his BBCRB interview after the game about his future.
I think the powers that be have a big job to do in trying to get these loan players to be with us next season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 12:34

Victor Meldrew
Stranded
NewCorkSeth See above response to similar comment and 2 voices of reason agreeing with me.

3-Gomes has left him out for most of the time he has been here so presumably he is also wrong?.
BTW, Miazga was very guarded in his BBCRB interview after the game about his future.
I think the powers that be have a big job to do in trying to get these loan players to be with us next season.

As I stated - he has a bad 12-18 months and the time was right for him to come out of the team. What I completely disagree with is that he has been rubbish for years.

He has been a steady performer who has slipped from those standards and was rightly dropped. He could easily have had a strop at that but has clearly worked hard and taken his chance when presented with it. If he is back in team long term remains to be seen but he has shown in the last week that he is a good option on the right of our defence, as he always has been.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Apr 2019 12:44

Stranded That is play-off form or close to it, which suggests that this current squad playing for this manager could push for the play-offs.

Next 3 fixtures will provide a benchmark and a reality check as to how far we've progressed. The games aren't going to easy with all 3 vying for playoff/promotion aspirations.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2019 12:46

Stranded
Victor Meldrew
Stranded

As I stated - he has a bad 12-18 months and the time was right for him to come out of the team. What I completely disagree with is that he has been rubbish for years.

He has been a steady performer who has slipped from those standards and was rightly dropped. He could easily have had a strop at that but has clearly worked hard and taken his chance when presented with it. If he is back in team long term remains to be seen but he has shown in the last week that he is a good option on the right of our defence, as he always has been.

It is the case though that Clement wanted a new right-back to play ahead of him and Gomes has not been quick to pick him either which to me means that Denver, Ian etc may not be wrong in their assessment.
BTW does his ridiculously long contract run out this year or next?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 12:49

Lower West
Stranded That is play-off form or close to it, which suggests that this current squad playing for this manager could push for the play-offs.

Next 3 fixtures will provide a benchmark and a reality check as to how far we've progressed. The games aren't going to easy with all 3 vying for playoff/promotion aspirations.

Agreed but on recent form we have reason to be confident.

We are going better than all our upcoming opponents over an 8 game spell - having picked up 1 more point than WBA, 2 more than Bristol, 8 more than Boro (and for completness 9 more than Brum).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 12:52

Victor Meldrew
Stranded
Victor Meldrew

It is the case though that Clement wanted a new right-back to play ahead of him and Gomes has not been quick to pick him either which to me means that Denver, Ian etc may not be wrong in their assessment.
BTW does his ridiculously long contract run out this year or next?

They are due to their timescale.

As I have stated twice now, he has had a noticeable downterm in form over the past 12-18 months (as per the rest of the team) and it was right that he was dropped when he was. Prior to this he was a consistant performer at right back both during good and bad seasons. If you think he has been bad rather than good for the majority of the 350+ games he has played for Reading then I'm sorry, I just can't agree with that.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Apr 2019 12:57

Silver Fox
NewCorkSeth
Silver Fox

Ian and Country?

168 posts