Bristol City fan with local info Goodfriday

1infoman

Bristol City fan with local info Goodfriday

by 1infoman » 15 Apr 2019 16:20

Please buy your tickets in advance,

there has been no pay on the day for AWAY FANS this season,can't see this being changed

Coming by road.
Do NOT USE M4/M32 route and don't try to negotiate the roads and streets of Bristol

YOU WILL GET LOST

If you are coming by road use M4/M5 southbound to junction 18(Avonmouth) then follow signs A4 Bristol airport
It looks the long way round but its quicker.
Parking is normally in the streets around the area as long as you are there by 09:00am please don't block drive ways or park on corners.

Traffic wardens do book any cars that are parked incorrectly

If you are coming by train there is a local train service to PARSON STREET from Bristol Temple Meads
at XX:26 past the hour although there MIGHT be additional train to Parson street at 10:55AM
Good train times as most trains from the London direction (and the North) arrive at quarter to the hour.
it takes you two thirds of the way to the ground and walk the rest of the way.
You will pass Sainsburys on the left with restaurant,Robins pub again on your left hand side
When you approach the ground I suggest you walk past wickes using the pavement
as the concourse area behind the big new stand gets very congested with bodies.

Unless you want to listen/year the band playing live music
Please make sure you get your train ticket showing PARSON STREET
We are trying to promote PARSON STREET for football fans till Ashton gate halt comes on line.

Split train tickets are available to Bristol from Reading and also group save is available for trains from Reading

BUT,group save is NOT availables on crosscountry trains

If there are at least three of you get a taxi to the ground
Make sure the taxi driver drops you in the Ashton Road end as it a very long walk round from the other end
or use the brown buses from the bottom of the incline of the station.

Casualty and Holby City were filmed in the City don't ask me about either of the programmes cos I think their both rubbish
The young ones was also filmed in the BS7 area of the City(actually its Bishopston)
Finally the block of flats on the left behind the dolman stand side as you are in the away end is "the" block of flats in "fools and horses"
Bring your camera and turn up early if you want to take any photo's
Pubs possibly best one are in the cumberland road basin area novia scotia pump house and the cottage.

Leave your car there if you can and walk to the ground
Buy your match day programme before you enter the away end.
BBC Radio station is radio Bristol which has frequencies and 94:9 95:5 and DAB
Away following for the last three seasons are as follows
15/16 1,300
16/17 1,837
17/18 1,115

If you need any other local info,just ask.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Bristol City fan with local info Goodfriday

by Green » 15 Apr 2019 16:31

1infoman If you need any other local info,just ask.

I guess lets start with any local pub recommendations?

And which local breweries would you recommend we keep an eye out for?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 15 Apr 2019 16:40

Have always parked here http://www.bedminstercc.co.uk/a/match-d ... 53788.html
very friendly club.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 15 Apr 2019 16:48

Can you describe the difference between a Bristol accent and one from Somerset?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Apr 2019 17:02

Green

I've got an ideal.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Apr 2019 17:07

1infoman Casualty and Holby City were filmed in the City don't ask me about either of the programmes cos I think their both rubbish
Do you happen to have twin called SpaceCruiser as that sounds like something he would say.

I've been to Bristol City once, back in 2011 when we were 2-0 down before scoring 3 goals in the last 18 minutes. Great game and great atmosphere, A nice ground to visit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14982512
I remember chatting to a lad sat near me, he left at 2-0 down because he fancied some KFC before his got the train back, I saw him again at a home game and he left that early too when we were losing or drawing and missed our winner then. :roll:

However, Catching the footy bus from Bristol Templemeads was a nightmare - I spent about 15 minutes wandering around trying to find the bus stop before seeing the bus appear and getting there with seconds to spare. Also, it was a midweek game with few trains running late at night so it was touch and go the bus getting back to the station on time (the train was late though)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Apr 2019 17:07

Green

Somerset accents tend to be a bit more slurred due to the amount of Cider they drink.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Apr 2019 18:35

Forbury Lion
1infoman Casualty and Holby City were filmed in the City don't ask me about either of the programmes cos I think their both rubbish
Do you happen to have twin called SpaceCruiser as that sounds like something he would say.

I've been to Bristol City once, back in 2011 when we were 2-0 down before scoring 3 goals in the last 18 minutes. Great game and great atmosphere, A nice ground to visit

We seem to like doing that to Bristol City, given that we repeated it in 2017!

And as mentioned in another thread, when it comes to pubs my vote goes to the Novia Scotia. A proper old fashioned pub, with proper beer and cider, proper grub (very generous portions and cheap prices), friendly staff and locals and much cheaper than the flashier Pump House the other side of the Basin.

Would recommend people stay for a meal afterwards. There are some fantastic pubs and eating places in Bristol.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 15 Apr 2019 19:03

Pretty sure I've walked from Temple Meads and taken in a pub en route

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Apr 2019 19:49

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 16 Apr 2019 07:56

Mid Sussex Royal Pretty sure I've walked from Temple Meads and taken in a pub en route

If you've walked from Temple Meads - and it's easily doable if you are reasonably fit - you could have taken in plenty of good pubs en route. Risk would be that you would probably end up seeing 44 players on the pitch for most of the game!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Apr 2019 11:08

Do you think the Galleries shopping centre has a future following many stores relocation to Cabot Circus?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 16 Apr 2019 12:08

Mid Sussex Royal Pretty sure I've walked from Temple Meads and taken in a pub en route

First stop, the historic Seven Stars, 5 mins walk from the station.

Arrived there late morning before the game in 2009 with about 20 others off the train. Pub was shut so we knocked on the door, landlord leant out of the upstairs window, saw a throng of thirsty Royals and said he'd be down immediately to open up. Great times.

I believe that game also saw a certain Nobber smuggle a dead pheasant into the away end?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Apr 2019 17:27

How big a thing is Rugby in Bristol? Or is that more a Bath thing?

1infoman

by 1infoman » 16 Apr 2019 17:54

Bristol Rugby attendances are in the 14,000 range

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Apr 2019 17:58

1infoman Bristol Rugby attendances are in the 14,000 range

Does the rugby ruin the pitch ?

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 17 Apr 2019 12:22

RoyalBlue And as mentioned in another thread, when it comes to pubs my vote goes to the Novia Scotia. A proper old fashioned pub, with proper beer and cider, proper grub (very generous portions and cheap prices), friendly staff and locals and much cheaper than the flashier Pump House the other side of the Basin.

Would recommend people stay for a meal afterwards. There are some fantastic pubs and eating places in Bristol.

Taking my Mum to this game. As nice as the Novia Scotia sounds, I'm in the market for something a bit grander than a pub, but not as pricy as a Michelin fine-dining establishment. Do you have, say 3, recommendations? All cuisines liked.

jar95

by jar95 » 17 Apr 2019 12:52

After the game, whats the best way to get back into town? Train, Uber or walk?? We have tickets from Parson street - BTM but not sure on how busy it gets?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 17 Apr 2019 13:51

Whore Jackie
RoyalBlue And as mentioned in another thread, when it comes to pubs my vote goes to the Novia Scotia. A proper old fashioned pub, with proper beer and cider, proper grub (very generous portions and cheap prices), friendly staff and locals and much cheaper than the flashier Pump House the other side of the Basin.

Taking my Mum to this game. As nice as the Novia Scotia sounds, I'm in the market for something a bit grander than a pub, but not as pricy as a Michelin fine-dining establishment. Do you have, say 3, recommendations? All cuisines liked.

I'm assuming you mean after the game? In my experience, Bristol doesn't wake up very early. Also, the independents tend to open for lunch, then shut again until early evening so a midday kickoff is not ideal from that perspective.

Riverstation: https://www.riverstation.co.uk/restaurant

Under The Stars: http://www.underthestarsbar.co.uk/

I like Greens http://greensbristol.co.uk/ but it's a bit further out and may already be fully booked

There's some really nice places at Cargo on Wapping Warf (near M Shed) http://wappingwharf.co.uk/bars-restaurants-cafes. A whole series of converted shipping containers. Amongst them, Box-E is superb but is getting towards that higher price you mention and you would have to be really lucky to get a cancellation. The Chef/Owner used to work at L'Ortolan

Raj (King St) and Urban Tandoor (Small St) are two really good (IMO) Indian restaurants. We had a good laugh with some City supporters in the former the last time that we beat them 3-2.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 17 Apr 2019 14:46

RoyalBlue
Whore Jackie

I'm assuming you mean after the game? In my experience, Bristol doesn't wake up very early. Also, the independents tend to open for lunch, then shut again until early evening so a midday kickoff is not ideal from that perspective.

Riverstation: https://www.riverstation.co.uk/restaurant

Under The Stars: http://www.underthestarsbar.co.uk/

I like Greens http://greensbristol.co.uk/ but it's a bit further out and may already be fully booked

There's some really nice places at Cargo on Wapping Warf (near M Shed) http://wappingwharf.co.uk/bars-restaurants-cafes. A whole series of converted shipping containers. Amongst them, Box-E is superb but is getting towards that higher price you mention and you would have to be really lucky to get a cancellation. The Chef/Owner used to work at L'Ortolan

Raj (King St) and Urban Tandoor (Small St) are two really good (IMO) Indian restaurants. We had a good laugh with some City supporters in the former the last time that we beat them 3-2.

Perfect, I'll research these. Many thanks RB.