Medium/long term prospects

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Medium/long term prospects

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Apr 2019 19:19

Now we are basically safe, I feel there's a contrast with 12 months ago. When we stayed up last season, we limped over the line in uninspiring fashion and there was a real sense that we would be relegated sooner or later. Years of ownership changes, mismanagement at Board level and poor recruitment catches up with you eventually, even though we survived last year.

This season it appeared those concerns were true. We were poor for the early part of the season and the issues ran far deeper than Clement. At the time we sacked Gourlay and Clement I really did not see any hope. If anything, Clement's final few games were some of his best. The timing seemed I'll thought out, there was no clear replacement plan. I've supported the team since 2000 and it was our lowest ebb.

Clearly excellent decisions have been made since then. Howe is back, Gomes seems an inspired appointment and we absolutely nailed the January transfer window, both the ingoings and outgoings. There's a sense of optimism, a turned corner.

There realistically has to be caution to go with that. We made a £21m loss last year, we still have big earners at the club. Some of our key players are loanees. In a FFP constrained environment, we will be relying upon loans and bargains. Survival must be the objective next season.

However, longer term, I see owners who haven't quit despite seeing a big outlay last year return eff all. I see our old CEO from a successful era at the helm. I see a manager who has a great relationship with the fans and players. There is a clear spine we can build our team around now (Moore, Yiadom, Rinho, Meite, Barrow. I'd love to add Baker to the list). The atmosphere in the stadium is transformed.

It will take 3-4 years, but I see no reason why we can't go back to using scouting, our academy and hard work to punch above our weight and compete at the top of this division again.

Now watch the Chinese get bought out by the Oyston's this summer and make a mockery of my optimism.

Don't Panic

Re: Medium/long term prospects

by Don't Panic » 24 Apr 2019 09:47

WestYorksRoyal Now watch the Chinese get bought out by the Oyston's this summer and make a mockery of my optimism.

Don't see our owners selling up any time soon - the building of the new training facility at Bearwood is (IMHO) the first step on a long road to recovery. I drove past it the other day, didn't realise quite how big the site was!

I don't think you should underestimate the impact of the training facilities on the club. Players spend 90% of their working time at the training ground, so having a top notch environment is only going to help attract players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Apr 2019 10:04

undoubtedly a lot more optimistic than after the escape last year.

If the club can recruit 2-3 of those loanees, shift a stack of deadwood and get the finances in a lot better shape, I feel theres a lot to look forward to. The training ground will be a big step up, and will certainly help retain quality players.

I fancy us for a comfortable mid table next season

Delboy

by Delboy » 24 Apr 2019 10:21

One of the big benefits this season has been the emergence of players coming through from The academy

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Apr 2019 12:20

I think we're doomed

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 24 Apr 2019 15:59

Just going off at a slight tangent, I was interested to hear Nigel Howe say (after Monday's game) that the owners want to invest more money, but are prevented from doing so by FFP. We've known for years that FFP is there to ensure that the bigger clubs aren't threatened by massive investments into smaller clubs (see how Europe's elite have started complaining that Man City are breaking the rules), but it really is bonkers that football prevents investment into the game. Increased investment can only occur on the back of increased revenue which will only come from success on the pitch... which, without increased investment in an environment where many rival clubs have bigger fanbases and resources, is less likely to happen. It makes you realise how well the likes of Burton and Yeovil did to reach the Championship, even if for a brief period.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1