Luke Southwood

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Luke Southwood

by Nameless » 04 May 2019 11:50

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
Sutekh Steve Death was 5 foot 7” or 5 foot 8” I believe so size is doesn’t necessarily bear any relation to how good a keeper is.

I was a big fan of Steve, but at his size saw him as an outlier, plus we were in 3rd/4th div back then. You don't see many 5'7 keepers these days esp in PL or Champ.
Ian Walker played at Spurs (and for England) in the 90's, and was often considered small at around 6'1.
Snowflake Royal Not sure I'd be confident with Southwood going into the season as No 1 without League experience or some Cup games with us under his belt.
Also torn on him spending the season on the bench getting 4 cup appearances - not ideal for further development.
Maybe a L1/2/ abroad loan and then the season after with us.

Agree, I couldn't really advocate him for No 1 either right now (if only because I haven't seen him enough to know).
Obv wish him the best and hopefully he'll become great, but some have talked of us making a challenge next season.
The top teams in Champ this season had starting keepers like Casilla, Krul, Randolph, etc.
Peacock-Farrell (6'4, btw) at Leeds looked a good young keeper to me this season, but they decided to sign Casilla.

Some talked of a challenge this season. 12th is the absolute best I'd hope for next season. And that's with a good summer.

Reckon we could push for 11th with the right signings.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 May 2019 12:02

Comfortable mid table, a sensible sized squad, a new training ground, scope to invest in the squad if needed, and 4 or 5 academy players with a good 20+ games behind them would be a great place to be this time next year

That’s got to be the realistic aim

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 May 2019 12:26

Hound Comfortable mid table, a sensible sized squad, a new training ground, scope to invest in the squad if needed, and 4 or 5 academy players with a good 20+ games behind them would be a great place to be this time next year

Comfortable mid table means losing quite a lot of games. You now what our fan base is like. :lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 May 2019 12:30

CountryRoyal
Hound Comfortable mid table, a sensible sized squad, a new training ground, scope to invest in the squad if needed, and 4 or 5 academy players with a good 20+ games behind them would be a great place to be this time next year

Comfortable mid table means losing quite a lot of games. You now what our fan base is like. :lol:

Win 3, draw 43 = 52

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 May 2019 12:31

Snowball
CountryRoyal

Win 3, draw 43 = 52

Imagine the shithousery of being "the invincibles" with 43 draws :lol: I like it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 May 2019 12:49

CountryRoyal
Snowball
CountryRoyal

Win 3, draw 43 = 52

Imagine the shithousery of being "the invincibles" with 43 draws :lol: I like it.

Tony Pulis would have an erection at the idea of this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2019 13:08

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal I was a big fan of Steve, but at his size saw him as an outlier, plus we were in 3rd/4th div back then. You don't see many 5'7 keepers these days esp in PL or Champ.
Ian Walker played at Spurs (and for England) in the 90's, and was often considered small at around 6'1.

Agree, I couldn't really advocate him for No 1 either right now (if only because I haven't seen him enough to know).
Obv wish him the best and hopefully he'll become great, but some have talked of us making a challenge next season.
The top teams in Champ this season had starting keepers like Casilla, Krul, Randolph, etc.
Peacock-Farrell (6'4, btw) at Leeds looked a good young keeper to me this season, but they decided to sign Casilla.

Some talked of a challenge this season. 12th is the absolute best I'd hope for next season. And that's with a good summer.

Chortle.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 May 2019 14:04

Simon's Church Wow, 3 years on and that Chelsea team must have more than 200 championship appearances between them, half of the reading team have played for the first team too..

And two of the Chelsea 16 have full England call-ups.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 May 2019 18:16

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
Snowball
Win 3, draw 43 = 52

Tony Pulis would have an erection at the idea of this.

He'd have a final Goal F-A of 3-0 after 3 1-0s and 43 0-0s

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 May 2019 18:44

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Some talked of a challenge this season. 12th is the absolute best I'd hope for next season. And that's with a good summer.

Chortle.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 May 2019 10:48

Sutekh
Nameless
John Smith With Martinez future in the balance and Southwood's glowing references from helping Eastleigh into the National League playoffs, when would be the right time to give him the no. 1 shirt?

I saw that the Bristol City keeper spent half a season at Solihull Moors last year before establishing himself as the number one there so clearly the experience from that division is adequate.

Those who have seen more of the U23s able to give more a detailed summary of him? Would it be a good cost-cutting choice for next season or too soon?

What is a’detailed Summary’ ?

He’s a good keeper, athletic, good with his feet. Always thought he was a bit small but he’s 6’1” so not one of the giants but not really a midget.
Until he plays in the Championship it’s hard to know whether he’s a realistic starter yet and if we could keep Martinez then he’d have no chance, but would be happy with him as back up.

Steve Death was 5 foot 7” or 5 foot 8” I believe so size is doesn’t necessarily bear any relation to how good a keeper is.

More than happy to go with Southwood as no. 2 as he’s still young enough to see that as real career progression and Reading have successfully done it before with Ashdown and McCarthy so why not. Would have to get in a quality Martinez type keeper as no. 1 though which means moving Walker on somewhere whether for a fee or not.

Also that would then give opportunity to Coniah Boyce-Clarke to really move on up which might in itself be enough to persuade him to stay rather than go off to one of the big clubs.

Only question left would then be Lewis Ward? Is there a keeper there who is also a real prospect?

Size is a massive factor in goalkeeping and any projected under 6 foot goalkeepers are binned off in the teenage years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2019 11:11

Agree, football is very different to the 70s and 80s now.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 05 May 2019 19:14

Snowflake Royal Agree, football is very different to the 70s and 80s now.

Or in fact 2006. Barthez clearly was, how you English say, an imbecile?!