Championship free agents... who would you have?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Championship free agents... who would you have?

by Denver Royal » 13 May 2019 19:40

URZZZZ
Denver Royal
URZZZZ Looking at some of the Prem free agents, I'd certainly take Ayite or Kebano. Two quality players in a position we've lacked in a while, and I can't imagine they'll be on that high of a wage. I've always thought Kadeem Harris at Cardiff would be a decent option as well

Wonder if Gary Madine might be available? Has been on loan at Sheff Utd (who may not want him in PL), and it's possible Cardiff /Warnock may not want him back, even in Champ?

Funnily enough, I was thinking this, but apparently Madine was a bit homesick at Cardiff and wanted to be further up norf' closer to home so not sure he'd join us in all honesty. He's the sort of character I think we lack, can really rile up the opposition but think it's unlikely

Would be surprised if United go back for Madine and Hogan though, I wouldn't be against looking at Hogan, I recall there was speculation a couple of years ago but he seemed to have fallen off the track a little. I think it's always handy looking at squad fillers for promoted teams who were bit part players in the Champ, but won't feature in the Prem, Jordan Rhodes and Kieran Dowell are another two that spring to mind

Yes, well said. Also wondered if Boro want Hugill again (loan from West Ham). If they had gone up, I was thinking not.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 13 May 2019 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 May 2019 20:53

They both had surprisingly poor loan spells on the face of it, esp as I’m sure they no doubt cost a few quid

Either would be a good signing in the right environment you’d think, as I expect their values have plummeted somewhat

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 May 2019 21:58

Denver Royal
URZZZZ
Denver Royal Wonder if Gary Madine might be available? Has been on loan at Sheff Utd (who may not want him in PL), and it's possible Cardiff /Warnock may not want him back, even in Champ?

Funnily enough, I was thinking this, but apparently Madine was a bit homesick at Cardiff and wanted to be further up norf' closer to home so not sure he'd join us in all honesty. He's the sort of character I think we lack, can really rile up the opposition but think it's unlikely

Would be surprised if United go back for Madine and Hogan though, I wouldn't be against looking at Hogan, I recall there was speculation a couple of years ago but he seemed to have fallen off the track a little. I think it's always handy looking at squad fillers for promoted teams who were bit part players in the Champ, but won't feature in the Prem, Jordan Rhodes and Kieran Dowell are another two that spring to mind

Yes, well said. Also wondered if Boro want Hugill again (loan from West Ham). If they had gone up, I was thinking not.

Boro fans really don't like Hugill so find it unlikely, plus I don't think Pulis will stay there anyway

Strange one with Hugill, he was so good for Preston but really didn't cut the grade at Boro, I'm not sure if Preston was "his home" or Boro didn't suit him, either way I highly doubt he'll ever play for West Ham

^ on the contrary, I thought Madine did OK at United if that's who you were talking about, a very good backup striker to Sharp and McGoldrick

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 14 May 2019 08:26

SCIAG
royalp-we Jack Rodwell
Josh McEachran

Eight or nine years ago, those two (and Wilshere) were the future of England's midfield.

Think something's gone badly wrong with Rodwell, whereas McEachran has a better chance of flourishing in the right environment.

Anyone having watched the Sunderland documentary wouldn't go near Rodwell. Has never played more than 26 games a season in his entire career*, stinking attitude and the heart of a pea.

Out.

*cheers wikipedia.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 May 2019 08:49

URZZZZ ^ on the contrary, I thought Madine did OK at United if that's who you were talking about, a very good backup striker to Sharp and McGoldrick

not too sure - just looked at the stats and saw 3 goals and 1 sending off in 16 games (though a lot were from the bench) which doesn't sound great in a top of the table team. Think 2 of those goals were scored in his first(?) game as well

But he may well have contributed a lot more than that. WhoScored gives him a solid 6.75 over those games (massively inflated by a ridiculous 9.8 against us)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 May 2019 09:09

I still think 3 goals in 6 starts is a good record, even though two were against us. I think he'd be satisfied with his performance, certainly compared to Hugill who couldn't get in a Boro team who couldn't score

He's not a Premier League standard striker though so I was surprised to see how he'd be "devastated" if he didn't rejoin Sheffield. He is a bit of an arse as well, but that could be a good thing at times

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 May 2019 09:10

fair enough. Was surprised how poorly Hugill did, thought Boro were made for him. Some champ club will pick him up on loan again though i'd have thought.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 May 2019 16:20

I think we should be looking at Lee Gregory having departed Millwall. Scored goals in a dross team every time in the Championship and really works hard for the team. Would definitely benefit from the better service we can offer.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 May 2019 16:26

John Smith I think we should be looking at Lee Gregory having departed Millwall. Scored goals in a dross team every time in the Championship and really works hard for the team. Would definitely benefit from the better service we can offer.

6'2, 30 years old, 13 goals this season, their player of the year, short trip down the M4, etc...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 May 2019 16:28

wants to go back up north, so unlikely to come here

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2019 17:29

Hound wants to go back up north, so unlikely to come here

Leyton Orient it is then.

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 04 Sep 2019 15:06

royal67 Charlie Adam....

Just seen that you called it!! :lol:

royal67

by royal67 » 05 Sep 2019 18:43

JamieY26
royal67 Charlie Adam....

Just seen that you called it!! :lol:

Yeah, think I was the only supporter who wanted him to join the club though...... :oops:

krapmle

by krapmle » 05 Sep 2019 19:07

quite frankly, none of them. I would not have taken Charlie Adam either.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Sep 2019 08:46

Are there any non-free agents that might be available on the cheap who have just been frozen out/training with the U21's? - the same situation as Gunter & McLeary?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 Sep 2019 09:31

Forbury Lion Are there any non-free agents that might be available on the cheap who have just been frozen out/training with the U21's? - the same situation as Gunter & McLeary?

Not after transfer window has closed ...

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Sep 2019 09:47

Royalwaster
Forbury Lion Are there any non-free agents that might be available on the cheap who have just been frozen out/training with the U21's? - the same situation as Gunter & McLeary?

I'm sure if a discussion takes place, the current club might give them a free transfer and then unrelated to that, we might buy something else from the club for an agreed fee or one of our owners companies may decide to buy some sponsorship at that club

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2019 17:30

Forbury Lion
Royalwaster

I'm sure if a discussion takes place, the current club might give them a free transfer and then unrelated to that, we might buy something else from the club for an agreed fee or one of our owners companies may decide to buy some sponsorship at that club

You have to be free before the window expires Forbs.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 09 Sep 2019 20:20

The only two non-free agents we could play are the two you mentioned. They won't be cheap, though, but at least if we did play them we would be getting something for the money we must still be paying them!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Sep 2019 13:32

Peter Whittingham is still available on a free