157 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h)

by Sutekh » 01 Nov 2022 21:46

When : Friday 4th November 2022, 8pm
Where : Select Car Leasing Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Thanks to Sky Reading are facing yet another quick turnaround for a Friday night game after a tiring game on a Tuesday, however it’s the same ask of Preston and they also have the long journey down to face. Question is though why do Sky pick on Reading like this, you get barely anything from them then when the club gets into the top half of the league it seems you can’t move for Reading being live on the telly (this will be the 2nd of 3, largely non-descript, successive live games)! All that said though it is the same for both sides, the extra dosh is welcome and the day “lost” simply becomes an extra day’s preparation for the perceived harder game at Watford next Tuesday.

Preston have been a bit odd this season they’ve been hard to beat while finding it difficult to score as well as finding it nigh on impossible to concede! Their first 8 league games resulted in two 1-0 wins (at Luton and Coventry) a 1-0 defeat to Birmingham and five 0-0s. Their more recent form is a little more typical with 5 wins and 3 defeats from the last 8. The Lilywhites should not be taken lightly though, they’ve proved tough opposition to better and have some decent away results behind them such as beating Norwich so expect the proverbial “easy pickings” at your peril.

Preston lost Tom Barkhuizen and Paul Huntington over the summer but acquired Freddie Woodman from Newcastle, Ben Woodburn from Liverpool and Robbie Brady from Bournemouth so have useful players around Deepdale to call on. The big threat is in the forward line in the shape of Emil Riis Jakobsen who is the leading scorer with 5 goals to date. Of course Daniel Johnson is still there to fill out a useful midfield quartet or trio, depending on formation, alongside the likes of Robbie Brady, Ben Whiteman, Brad Potts and Alan Browne.

Preston have Ben Whiteman and Troy Parrott injured while Reading may be able to welcome Tom McIntyre and Sam Hutchinson back to help improve defensive options.

Referee

David “1 win and a draw in 8” Webb

Previously

17 Sep 2022 > Wigan Athletic 0-1 Reading
30 Jul 2022 > Blackpool 1-0 Reading
02 Apr 2021 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
11 Dec 2021 > West Bromwich Albion 1-0 Reading
21 Aug 2021 > Coventry City 2-1 Reading
20 Feb 2021 > Reading 0-2 Middlesbrough
30 Dec 2020 > Swansea City 0-0 Reading
30 Oct 2020 > Coventry City 3-2 Reading
26 Sep 2020 > Cardiff City 1-2 Reading
20 Oct 2018 > Reading 3-1 Millwall
29 Nov 2014 > Norwich City 1-2 Reading
24 Aug 2013 > Blackpool 1-0 Reading
01 Nov 2011 > Nottingham Forest 1-0 Reading
05 Dec 2009 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading

Historically

This will be the 32nd league game with Preston in Reading and the Lilywhites have been pretty much a permanent league fixture for Reading since 2002, barring a handful of seasons. Reading though has been a bit of a graveyard for visiting Preston teams down the years (pretty much like Deepdale is for visiting Reading teams) with Reading ahead by 20 wins to 5.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. Live on Sky
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h)

by URZZZZ » 01 Nov 2022 23:22

Do like Carroll but hoofing it to him becomes too easy an option when he’s up top, players don’t seem to take as much responsibility. Long has to be due a start, Ince seems to be rotating the strikers a fair amount without giving Long a chance from the start so fancy him to start Friday

Lumley

Yiadom
Holmes
McIntyre (Mbengue if not fit)

Hoilett
Loum
Hendrick
Guinness Walker

Ince

Long
Meite

Bouzanis, Mbengue (Abbey if McIntyre not fit), Rahman, Ejaria, Fornah, Joao, Carroll

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Nov 2022 07:58

Is Yiadom suspended following his booking last night?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2022 08:17

Team looks good. I’d see if there was some way to rotate Hoilett out though - do like him but thought he was poor against Luton. Maybe he is the only option though with the other CBs injured

Hutch could be back for this I believe so maybe something there - yiadom to RWB

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Nov 2022 08:58

Need to build on last night's performance to see if we can put something similar in against Preston who have been improving in recent games, but I'd back us against most sides at home.

Need either one of McIntyre or Hutchinson back as a minimum for me, both ideally. With Yiadom suspended, think I'd go for this.

Lumley
Holmes Hutch/TMac Mbengue
Hoilett Loum Hendrick NGW
Ince
Carroll Long/Meite

Subs: Bouzanis, Hutch/TMac, Rahman, Fornah, Joao, Meite/Long, Ejaria.

Our best options at the moment come up front really. Incidentally, due to a lack of goals with our CF's, I wonder if a constant rotation with a partnership is somewhat of a detriment as well. It's one of those situations where, if players aren't scoring, they can quite easily be removed from the XI for someone else for a couple of games. They are tough decisions to make by I wonder if the lack of consistency with our strike partnership(s) so far this season is contributing to our lack of goals from our CF's.

Personally (maybe when we get a good run of games and we have players back fit again), I'd love to see a partnership of Long and Meite, think they'd hassle any CB's in this division and could cause them all sorts of issues, of course it relies on the rest of the team to press as well.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Nov 2022 09:02

Wycombe Royal Is Yiadom suspended following his booking last night?

No, he just served a 1 match suspension.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Nov 2022 09:23

Win on Friday and we will - at least until Saturday evening - jump back up to 5th.

4th best home record in the divsion against the 3rd best away record - tough game but one we need to look to win.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Nov 2022 09:29

Stranded Win on Friday and we will - at least until Saturday evening - jump back up to 5th.

4th best home record in the divsion against the 3rd best away record - tough game but one we need to look to win.

Only on the proviso that neither Watford or Millwall win tonight and Norwich lose to QPR

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Nov 2022 09:39

windermereROYAL

My wife keeps telling me my short term memory is rubbish....I think she may have a point....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Nov 2022 09:58

windermereROYAL

Ignore what I said above regarding the team then, who is it that is suspended as I'm sure we had someone, Hoilett?

If so just swap Hoilett with Yiadom in my team above.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2022 10:24

YorkshireRoyal99
windermereROYAL

Ignore what I said above regarding the team then, who is it that is suspended as I'm sure we had someone, Hoilett?

I think sky said he was suspended for the next match on the comms - but did think that was wrong at the time

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Nov 2022 10:52

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
windermereROYAL

I think sky said he was suspended for the next match on the comms - but did think that was wrong at the time

Yeah I thought they mentioned it about Yiadom, but who knows, hopefully nobody is suspended.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Nov 2022 11:53

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah I thought they mentioned it about Yiadom, but who knows, hopefully nobody is suspended.

Yiadom has served his suspension recently but did pick up another booking yesterday. Loum was suspended last night.

Closest to suspension now is Tom "cuddly at corners" Holmes who is one booking away from missing a match.

(There is a Naughty Watch thread on here somewhere, else check on https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-go ... b=10583109 if link works for you)

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 02 Nov 2022 12:14

URZZZZ Do like Carroll but hoofing it to him becomes too easy an option when he’s up top, players don’t seem to take as much responsibility. Long has to be due a start, Ince seems to be rotating the strikers a fair amount without giving Long a chance from the start so fancy him to start Friday

Lumley

Yiadom
Holmes
McIntyre (Mbengue if not fit)

Hoilett
Loum
Hendrick
Guinness Walker

Ince

Long
Meite

Bouzanis, Mbengue (Abbey if McIntyre not fit), Rahman, Ejaria, Fornah, Joao, Carroll

Agree with most of this. Carroll is not effective unless he is attacking balls in the box, until then he should stay on the bench. Also think Hoilett needs a rest but not sure how.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 02 Nov 2022 12:34

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
windermereROYAL

Yep, they said he was suspended for the West Brom game! Think they somehow showed an out-of-date graphic.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2022 18:08

Hound Team looks good. I’d see if there was some way to rotate Hoilett out though - do like him but thought he was poor against Luton. Maybe he is the only option though with the other CBs injured

Abrefa, if fit, has shown enough to get a look in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2022 18:15

With a bit of luck and a fair wind

...................Lumley
.....Holmes, Hutch, McIntyre
Yiadom........Loum............NGW
...........Hendrick....Fornah
.................Ince, Meite

Still not keen on 3 at the back. If one of Hutch or McIntyre aren't fit then add Joao or Long to lead the line and put Meite and Ince wide.

If neither, same but bring in Abrefa for the other and move Yiadom to the middle.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2022 18:20

Nice to have genuine options

I’d like to give Long a start. Drop Ince back to midfield. Meite has to start imo. Hendrick has improved and him and Loum have the makings of a decent pair

Baba hasn’t been great certainly so I’d be happy to see NGW come in.

Would have a bench of the likes of Joao, Carroll, Ejaria, Fornah, Baba - nice to be able to change it up. Be even better if we had another cb on there

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 02 Nov 2022 21:04

Snowflake Royal
Hound Team looks good. I’d see if there was some way to rotate Hoilett out though - do like him but thought he was poor against Luton. Maybe he is the only option though with the other CBs injured

Abrefa, if fit, has shown enough to get a look in.

This 100%, we need to stop playing "Square Pegs in Round Holes" Hoilett is a great wide attacking midfielder but he ain't no Wing Back/Right Back.
This is Abrefa's natural position so play him there!! Its not rocket science. I get Hoilett is a seasoned pro, however, our academy players have yet to let us down and what message does this send to our youngsters when right side attackers are playing ahead of you in your natural position.
Totally had enough of 5 at the back, we are down to the bare bones yet we still persist with playing a back 5 :cry:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Nov 2022 10:34

Why do we have to wait until tomorrow for this game?

The last game was on Tuesday. No game yesterday, no game tonight. Have to wait yet another day. This is getting ridiculous.

157 posts