238 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a)

by Sutekh » 13 Dec 2022 08:25

When : Friday 16 December 2022, 8pm
Where : St Andrews, Birmingham, B9 4RL
Capacity : 30,016

Another Friday night game on the telly which does not bode well for Reading. It'll be the 39th main game on SKY that Reading have played since August 2017 and Reading have won just 8 of them. On top of that good luck nugget comes the fact that Reading have had 2 games switched to Friday night so far this season which has led to a whopping collection of 0 points - well at least it's consistent.

Birmingham at St Andrews though has been a happier place to go in search of league points down the years but given the above fairly consistent negative runs that's still going to make it a hard game esp. as Birmingham are not proving be the prime basket case club destined for relegation that many pundits thought they would be. Like Reading they've bucked that expectation so far and John Eustace is doing a very decent job actually and the bluenoses are actually getting some good results, if a little inconsistent.

Brum are in 14th place in the table, just behind Reading on 29 points from 22 games. Form is inconsistent as you'd probably expect for a team in 14th. They've had some good results though including wins at Preston and WBA so they are more than capable of producing a result from time to time so Reading need to be on their guard and well prepared for this. The last eight for Birmingham have seen them gather two wins and four draws so they're not the easiest team to beat. Home form isn't brilliant with two draws and a defeat from the last three but have got the better of QPR before that so really can't be sure what to expect on the night.

City have a reasonably decent squad with Leandro Bacuna’s brother (Juninho) proving to be a pretty decent midfielder so far. Poland's Krystian Bielik joined on loan from Derby in the summer as did Tunisia's Hannibal Mejbri (he of the hair, if you watched any Tunisia games at the World Cup) from Man Utd so Birmingham are going to have a very useful midfield. Up front the threat is really Scott Hogan who has bagged 9 so far and is amongst the leading scorers of the division, after him you have their equivalent of Andy Carroll in Troy Deeney and as per usual the perennial substitution threat of Lukas Jutkiewicz to create havoc in the last half hour or so of games. Finally Jude Bellingham's brother Jobe is starting to make his way into the Birmingham team, though he is normally used as a sub.

The blues will be without Harlee Dean, Gary Gardner and Poland international Przemyslaw Placheta due to injury and also have a doubt over main man Scott Hogan which may mean a rare start for Lukas Jutkiewicz on Friday. Reading haven't had any reactions as yet reported from the Coventry match and hopefully Sam Hutchinson will be able to be considered for the game along with Femi Azeez; Ovie Ejaria (?), Liam Moore (knees), Scott Dann (calf) and Tom Holmes (concussion) will miss the game through injury.

Referee

Tim “no Reading goals in the last 3” Robinson

Previously...

15 Oct 22 > Reading 0-2 West Bromwich Albion
23 Apr 22 > Hull City 3-0 Reading
19 Jan 22 > Reading 0-2 Luton Town
18 Sep 21 Reading 3-1 Peterborough United
06 Feb 21 > Stoke City 0-0 Reading
09 Dec 20 > Reading 1-2 Birmingham City
19 Sep 20 > Reading 2-0 Barnsley
18 Jul 20 > Blackburn Rovers 4-3 Reading
07 Dec 19 > Reading 2-3 Birmingham City
06 Apr 19 > Hull City 3-1 Reading
01 Jan 19 > Reading 1-4 Swansea City
19 Sep 18 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
16 Jan 18 > Reading 3-0 Stevenage (FA Cup 3)
30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

It took Reading until 1986 before they managed a game of any sort against Birmingham and of the first nine league games played between the sides, seven ended in draws. To me it just seems that the fixture has subsequently struggled with an air of dour tedium ever since.

Since 1986 the two teams have become fairly regular opponents in the league (this is the 21st season together) and have played each other in the three highest tiers in the league.

While Birmingham are starting to become a bit of the proverbial bogey team at the SCL (on the positive side, that's showing an improvement in Reading's overall league status as I remember when the bogey team used to be Bury!) Reading do seem to do slightly better against the Blues in their own back yard as the Biscuitmen have recorded 8 wins which is the same number that Birmingham themselves have managed.

Usually there are goals in this game and a clean sheet for either side is a bit unlikely so who would bet against the first ever 0-0 at St Andrews?

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. Sky
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM ; 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4, BBC iPlayer Radio (other radio apps are available ))

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a)

by Hound » 13 Dec 2022 08:48

Thanks Sutekh as ever. Two teams who were written off who have actually done pretty well, with a fairly similar approach to the season.

Will certainly be a tough game, and would take a draw. Actually wouldn’t be too surprised with that 0-0 you mention

What I’d like to see

Lumley
Yiadom Mbengue McIntyre Sarr NGW
Loum Fornah
Ince
Meite Long

What I expect we’ll see

Lumley
Hoilett Yiadom McIntyre Sarr Baba
Hendrick Loum
Ince
Meite Carroll

Strongest available squad for absolutely ages though. Likely to have a bench looking something like

Bouzanis Hutchinson Mbengue Fornah Long Joao NGW and even leaving the likes of Azeez, Tetek Ejaria out completely

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Dec 2022 09:17

I think if Hutchinson is fit and available we will start him. Normally I'd be pretty happy with Yiadom at RCB and Hoilett at wing back, but with Birmingham being a physical side especially in attacking areas, I think they would target us there and could easily get over the top of both of them with the likes of Deeney, Hogan, Jutkiewicz etc with deeper crosses.

We saw it a couple of years ago when Jutkiewicz managed to get over Moore to head in from a cross. I know Moore isn't the tallest CB in the world, but he's definitely got more physicality than the likes of Yiadom and Hoilett who would get bullied in a game like this.

Other than that, would be confident with the second team Hound has mentioned. Again, can see Loum and Hendrick in the midfield for the physicality and industry we'll likely need. A point would be satisfactory, 3 points would be fantastic.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Dec 2022 09:20

Don’t often see Yiadom bullied tbf. Think he may actually be a better RCB than RB

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Dec 2022 09:27

Hound Don’t often see Yiadom bullied tbf. Think he may actually be a better RCB than RB

True. just think we might prefer a conventional CB in Hutch who probably has a bit more of an aerial presence to him than Yiadom. Just think the dynamic of having a natural full back at CB and a natural attacking wide player at wing back is something they might look to exploit.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Dec 2022 09:36

Whilst not a must win, picking up 3 points here ahead of a very difficult Xmas/New Year campaign would be a real boost. With trips to Norwich and a resurgent WBA ahead of us, a win here takes the pressure off the Swansea home game a little.

Would like to see Long start as think he could really stretch them for 60 mins, at which point we can bring Joao or Carroll off the bench to give them something different to think about. We may go the other way though as Long is potentially more effective against tired legs/minds.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Dec 2022 13:22

Paul Ince loves Hutchinson - think he falls into the category "if fit he starts".

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Dec 2022 14:12

paultheroyal Paul Ince loves Hutchinson - think he falls into the category "if fit he starts".

Probably rightly, Reading I think are better with Hutch than without, I’m guessing that in general the results and performances back that up?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Dec 2022 16:26

Expect Hutch will start when fully fit - but would be surprised to see him thrown straight in on a freezing Friday night, esp after what happened last time

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Dec 2022 18:35

Good presentation as always Suturzz. I think Brum have only won three at home this season so we could get something from this although looking at some of the games this ref has officiated sends shivers down my spine.

Fancy this to be 1-1.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Dec 2022 23:33

My D&D friends planned a pub meal on Friday, I have apologised ahead of schedule for any cheering that may or may not come from me.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Dec 2022 13:46

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound Don’t often see Yiadom bullied tbf. Think he may actually be a better RCB than RB

True. just think we might prefer a conventional CB in Hutch who probably has a bit more of an aerial presence to him than Yiadom. Just think the dynamic of having a natural full back at CB and a natural attacking wide player at wing back is something they might look to exploit.

With Rahman seemingly a mainstay in the side, think he has to persevere with Hoilett on the right. In a back five, Yiadom and Rahman don’t work as wingbacks. If NGW was given more of a go, would be a different story

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Dec 2022 14:09

Zip Good presentation as always Suturzz. I think Brum have only won three at home this season so we could get something from this although looking at some of the games this ref has officiated sends shivers down my spine.

Fancy this to be 1-1.

He likes a yellow and a red card this ref.
Not the worst of refs though, normally.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Dec 2022 14:48

South Coast Royal
Zip Good presentation as always Suturzz. I think Brum have only won three at home this season so we could get something from this although looking at some of the games this ref has officiated sends shivers down my spine.

Fancy this to be 1-1.

He likes a yellow and a red card this ref.
Not the worst of refs though, normally.

Mr Robinson has issued roughly 4.2 yellows a game so far this season (67 in 16 games); 3 reds so far - but 2 in the same game.

This is slightly down on his ratio last year which was around 4.5 yellows a game.

For the record he booked 4 in the WBA game earlier this season, McIntyre, Loum and Ince of Reading and one from WBA.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Dec 2022 18:28

I'd be happy with a draw from this. Birmingham like us have overperformed vs pre-season expectations. Expect we'll nick a win or be beaten though as we don't do draws

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Dec 2022 17:03

Starsky (& Hutch) definitely won’t feature but Dann could be on the bench. Therefore expecting a back 5 of Junior, Yids, Mbengue, TMac and Rahman though would prefer a five consisting of Yids, Sarr, TMac, Mbengue and Obi-Wan.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Dec 2022 22:00

The three favourites to go down at the start of the season were the two of us + Rotherham, all out of the relegation zone right now but Rotherham are sliding.

Midweek game against a team starting with B so we could win right?

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 16 Dec 2022 09:00

Thanks Sutekh. Always read your previews. Always enjoy them.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Dec 2022 09:09

tidus_mi2 The three favourites to go down at the start of the season were the two of us + Rotherham, all out of the relegation zone right now but Rotherham are sliding.

Fucking hope Friday isn't midweek :wink:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Dec 2022 09:21

Hendo
tidus_mi2 The three favourites to go down at the start of the season were the two of us + Rotherham, all out of the relegation zone right now but Rotherham are sliding.

Fucking hope Friday isn't midweek :wink:

I always figured when it comes to football, midweek just referred to any non-weekend match but I could be wrong.

238 posts