Another 6 point, points deduction incoming

308 posts
Fezza

Re: Another 6 point, points deduction incoming

by Fezza » 05 Apr 2023 11:01

Selling Puscas probably seemed certain at the time the plan was formulated. Pisa were playing very well and seemed certain to go up.

Moore was injured during his spell at Stoke and that probably killed that opportunity.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Apr 2023 11:06

Fezza Selling Puscas probably seemed certain at the time the plan was formulated. Pisa were playing very well and seemed certain to go up.

Moore was injured during his spell at Stoke and that probably killed that opportunity.

But those reasons are why it was foolhardy to have player sales as a specific means to raise funds - they should have gone for something like "we will raise X in additional revenue either through player trading or other sales" - to leave ourselves open to the whims of injury and failed promotion seasons is pretty negligent - even if it did mean the punishment was spread over 2 years rather than 1.

In retrospect, we probably could have survived a 9 point deduction last year and had less onerous restrictions this.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Apr 2023 11:09

Stranded
Fezza Selling Puscas probably seemed certain at the time the plan was formulated. Pisa were playing very well and seemed certain to go up.

But those reasons are why it was foolhardy to have player sales as a specific means to raise funds - they should have gone for something like "we will raise X in additional revenue either through player trading or other sales" - to leave ourselves open to the whims of injury and failed promotion seasons is pretty negligent - even if it did mean the punishment was spread over 2 years rather than 1.

In retrospect, we probably could have survived a 9 point deduction last year and had less onerous restrictions this.

Perhaps the club tried that but the FL said “No! It has to be done this way”.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 05 Apr 2023 11:25

I mean - we are ignoring the fact that the club DID come up with a way of meeting the target through non-player sales. But, for whatever reason, the transaction wasn't completed in time.

What Bowen wrote about the EFL not 'approving' was bullshit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Apr 2023 11:47

It was an agreed business plan. Post Covid tbe EFL or the regulators must surely have discussed the ability for us to sell players in that market

Again I don’t know the ins and outs but weren’t some clubs (cough Stoke) allowed to write off a ton of loss due to player deprecation due to Covid? Did we exhaust this option?

And if it was either sell these players or have an even more restrictive wage budget, then it’s not exactly a desirable choice anyway.

I can see why in that circumstance we felt we had to go for the sell player route, given we thought Puscas was likely to be sold. Suppose could ask without the hindsight of Puscas not gojng, what would we have done? Accepted playing the kids, relegation even more likely or still gamble thag someone will take Puscas, Ejaria, Joao, Moore etc

Let’s not pretend we were given any good option here. Like I said, it was designed to get us relegated. Which I haven’t a huge issue with if the same treatment is dished out to all clubs who break ffp now without fcuk loads of loopholes etc

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Apr 2023 11:51

Along those lines, aren’t wba meant to be in serious trouble if they don’t go up? Will be watching that one with interest, esp with Ron at the helm

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 Apr 2023 11:54

Hound Along those lines, aren’t wba meant to be in serious trouble if they don’t go up? Will be watching that one with interest, esp with Ron at the helm

Think there will be if they don't hold a fire sale. Would leave them a bit short of quality next season and in a position where they will be midtable Championship dross for years to come. Thing with them is they have quite a lot of sellable assets, we didn't.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2023 12:16

Hound Our wage bill is already considerably smaller than every other team I believe. And that with the millstone of Moore and to a lesser extent Joao, ejaria and co

Any less and it would have been those crocks plus youth team players. The EFL must also have known we’d struggle to sell players when they created the plan

It was a business plan designed to see us get relegated as Ince said earlier in the year

Yes in hindsight we may not have signed Dann, Bouzanis etc, but injuries elsewhere and they may have had to have been mainstays

We broke the plan hence we get the extra 6 points. But suggestions we should have got 12 (3 more than Derby??) and the fact that teams can break the rules far more than we did without punishment (as long as you succeed and get promoted) will never sit right with me. Basically bullying a club who had some idiot ceo and clueless owner come in and spend a large if not ridiculous amount of money in an attempt to compete with parachute payments 4 years ago. It sucks

It was a business plan to see us not breach the rules..if we hadn't overspent so badly, it wouldn't have been so low.

The message is don't cheat. It's all on Dai. We knew the rules. We ignored them.

Oh its so unfair. Is it oxf*rd.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Apr 2023 12:20

Snowflake Royal
Hound Our wage bill is already considerably smaller than every other team I believe. And that with the millstone of Moore and to a lesser extent Joao, ejaria and co

Any less and it would have been those crocks plus youth team players. The EFL must also have known we’d struggle to sell players when they created the plan

It was a business plan designed to see us get relegated as Ince said earlier in the year

Yes in hindsight we may not have signed Dann, Bouzanis etc, but injuries elsewhere and they may have had to have been mainstays

We broke the plan hence we get the extra 6 points. But suggestions we should have got 12 (3 more than Derby??) and the fact that teams can break the rules far more than we did without punishment (as long as you succeed and get promoted) will never sit right with me. Basically bullying a club who had some idiot ceo and clueless owner come in and spend a large if not ridiculous amount of money in an attempt to compete with parachute payments 4 years ago. It sucks

It was a business plan to see us not breach the rules..if we hadn't overspent so badly, it wouldn't have been so low.

The message is don't cheat. It's all on Dai. We knew the rules. We ignored them.

Yep 100% agree. If every other club is treated the same way if they cheat, including promoted clubs and they shut the loopholes

Because the message currently isn’t don’t cheat. It’s don’t cheat unless you get promoted or you can find an accountancy trick
Last edited by Hound on 05 Apr 2023 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2023 12:25

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Yep 100% agree. If every other club is treated the same way if they cheat, including promoted clubs and they shut the loopholes

I blame the PL for that rather than the FL. After promotion they have no jurisdiction because of the grotesque parasite the PL is.

Agree on loopholes. Although we exploited them long enough ourselves. Let's face it, we'd have had this three season ago or earlier but for parachute payments, selling off infrastructure, and sccountancy tricks.

Most the other clubs in similar situations either cut back sooner, or go back up

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Apr 2023 12:27

Can they not just give points deductions of say 15 for promoted clubs that cheat if they come back down?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2023 12:30

Hound Can they not just give points deductions of say 15 for promoted clubs that cheat if they come back down?

Do the clubs even need to provide evidence to allow a decision to be made?

You could have a penalty waiting to apply for a decade in those circumstances. Pretty unworkable imo.

I'd like to see promotions prevented, and teams not allowed back in the FL for the serious offenders, but it would be carnage.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 05 Apr 2023 12:42

Snowflake Royal
Hound Can they not just give points deductions of say 15 for promoted clubs that cheat if they come back down?

You could have a penalty waiting to apply for a decade in those circumstances. Pretty unworkable imo.

I'd like to see promotions prevented, and teams not allowed back in the FL for the serious offenders, but it would be carnage.

I would like to see once promotion has been secured for their books to be looked at and if they have seriously breached for a transfer embargo put on them for the upcoming window. It would mean PL and EFL to work together on actually making the leagues fairer.

Also would be a good deterrent for the clubs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2023 12:43

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal

I would like to see once promotion has been secured for their books to be looked at and if they have seriously breached for a transfer embargo put on them for the upcoming window. It would mean PL and EFL to work together on actually making the leagues fairer.

Also would be a good deterrent for the clubs.

I'd like to see the PL removed from existence and the FL to run the whole league structure again, for the benefit of football as a whole, not just 6 clubs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Apr 2023 12:48

There must be a way, because currently the cheat and succeed = no sanctions : cheat and don’t succeed = we’ll do our best to relegate you is a joke. Unless they can sanction cheats who get promoted the whole punishment system is always going to be wrong

the 3 promoted clubs lost 175m between them last year.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 05 Apr 2023 12:48

Hound It was an agreed business plan. Post Covid tbe EFL or the regulators must surely have discussed the ability for us to sell players in that market

Again I don’t know the ins and outs but weren’t some clubs (cough Stoke) allowed to write off a ton of loss due to player deprecation due to Covid? Did we exhaust this option?

And if it was either sell these players or have an even more restrictive wage budget, then it’s not exactly a desirable choice anyway.

I can see why in that circumstance we felt we had to go for the sell player route, given we thought Puscas was likely to be sold. Suppose could ask without the hindsight of Puscas not gojng, what would we have done? Accepted playing the kids, relegation even more likely or still gamble thag someone will take Puscas, Ejaria, Joao, Moore etc

Let’s not pretend we were given any good option here. Like I said, it was designed to get us relegated. Which I haven’t a huge issue with if the same treatment is dished out to all clubs who break ffp now without fcuk loads of loopholes etc

Agreed - business plan dictated we had to sell the little quality we had and bring in dross. Or get a points deduction.
Think we made the right choice as we probably have gained 6 points making that call (unless we refused to sell Puscas / Moore / Ejaria).

I am looking forward to the EFL enforcing all these rules as strict and as ruthless to every other club now. But i wont hold my breath.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2023 12:50

Stranded

We could also have gone, oh we didn’t sell Puscas... better use him and sell Joao/Meite instead.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Apr 2023 12:51

It just needs a licensing system similar to that run in pretty much every other league in Europe. You have to submit business plans in advance and stick to them - if the plan is unsustainable, you don't get a licence to play in the PL or EFL and can be replaced by a club from outside the division who do have a sustainable plan - sustainable should be in inverted commas naturally, as it could and likely should involve a fair level of debt but any debt must include clear plans on how the club will service it or the owner become liable.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 05 Apr 2023 18:50

Had a Conspiracy Theory Thought................

We've blown the biz plan through failing to sell players and stating that realised not as valueable etc etc

We knew this last year - did we somehow manage to convice EFL the squad had some saleable assets so we could get the extra 6 points moved to this season - knowing full well it was going to happen all along. So avoid relagation last year and give ourselves a fighting chance this year...... Jump to Inces 50 point mantra from the get go

In essence we've known all along - smart move by someone ??

The other worry is this investment asset sale that needs to be completed by 30th June - does this mean if this thing does not happen we will again be within breach for this season.... that has me worried

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Apr 2023 19:15

Pretty much what Bowen tries to spell out in his ‘letter’ to us Fred.

As for the last bit of your post….not a clue

308 posts