MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

194 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Apr 2023 21:13

At least with Hendrick you're getting a 6 or 7 out of 10 every week. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he does a decent, whilst not outstanding, job at most things asked of him.

Fornah is a tidy player with the ball, but don't really know what his role is and doesn't get involved nearly as much as he should for a creative player. A bit like Ejaria in that respect, but not to that extreme. Sometimes I forget Fornah is even on the pitch. I just think he needs a bit more confidence and would benefit maybe playing alongside Hendrick/Loum at the base of our midfield, but I'd prefer Casadei to do that unless he plays as a 10.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2023 22:16

6/7 is rather generous.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Apr 2023 22:55

It’s not difficult we need a defensive midfielder who can kick people get the ball pass it on. we’ve missed one of those since Leigertwood.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 17 Apr 2023 07:38

leon It’s not difficult we need a defensive midfielder who can kick people get the ball pass it on. we’ve missed one of those since Leigertwood.

I agree with this and was hoping that Loum could be that player. He has all the necessary attributes and sometimes he can look decent but at times he switches off.

I haven’t played football for years and have no idea how players are coached these days. I did feel that on Saturday there looked to be more of a plan with the players understanding their roles more. I sometimes wonder if coaches over complicate things at times but have no idea really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2023 08:24

blythspartan
leon It’s not difficult we need a defensive midfielder who can kick people get the ball pass it on. we’ve missed one of those since Leigertwood.

I agree with this and was hoping that Loum could be that player. He has all the necessary attributes and sometimes he can look decent but at times he switches off.

I haven’t played football for years and have no idea how players are coached these days. I did feel that on Saturday there looked to be more of a plan with the players understanding their roles more. I sometimes wonder if coaches over complicate things at times but have no idea really.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that weaker managers can't see the wood for trees once they get established.

They all come in, identify the glaringly obvious weak points. Like organisation, poor decision making and low morale. But they seem to become obsessed with a particular strategy and particular players, who I can only assume perform well in training. And make the same mistakes again.

They get some early success with some easy fixes and a morale boost, but when things start going wrong they can't adapt and cling on to what worked before, even though its a failurr by then. Players lose morale, decision making plummets, rinse repeat.

I expect Ince would be saying and doing similar things to Hunt if he was taking over in this situation.

As for a DM, our record is pretty poor in bringing anyone in. Pele, Semedo, Loum, Meyler, Bacuna... the only genuine success is Rinomhota in that lot. The rest were ok stop gaps at best.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 Apr 2023 08:44

I actually thought Pele was decent to be honest, better than the rest. Rino will obviously get more plaudits due to his longevity but he was ok apart from his one season where he won player of the year (was it his breakthrough season?). Other than that he was just ok, which I suppose it better than disappointing like the rest.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2023 08:56

Yeah Pele was the pick of that bunch. Quite liked him

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Apr 2023 08:58

He was no Pelle Clement.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2023 09:10

IMHO If we can pick up a point here, then we will go in to the last 3 games outside of the relegation zone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2023 09:17

NathStPaul He was no Pelle Clement.

He was kind of ok as well. Just suffered through having no position and playing in a rubbish side

We’ve had so many of that type of midfielder in recent years

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Apr 2023 09:18

Hound

He was kind of ok as well. Just suffered through having no position and playing in a rubbish side

I remember he played as a right back in one of the games and looked great, thought he'd turned the corner.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2023 09:29

NathStPaul
Hound

I remember he played as a right back in one of the games and looked great, thought he'd turned the corner.

Seems to have ended up having a half decent career in Netherlands in the end

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Apr 2023 09:35

Hound
NathStPaul
Hound

Seems to have ended up having a half decent career in Netherlands in the end

Stam player. Stam brought him to Reading and gave him some game time but under his namesake Pelle got zero opportunity aside from one league cup appearance and it wasn't a surprise when Stam bought him in 2019 when he was managing Zwolle.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Apr 2023 10:25

Would you take a point Wednesday? as good a side as Luton are I feel like we need to win this one as Coventry looks tougher now they have a shot of getting the top 6.

Don't want to be going to Huddersfield needing 3 points to survive!

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 17 Apr 2023 10:28

Pelle Clement was no Saeid Ezatolahi.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Apr 2023 10:28

BraisingsteakRoyal

Pelle Clement was no Saeid Ezatolahi.

Nobody is. Sleep well sweet prince.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 17 Apr 2023 10:31

There was a period of about 25 minutes when Saeid Ezatolahi looked like he was going to be the best player ever to pull on the hoops.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 17 Apr 2023 11:01

I see us nicking this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2023 11:14

Hound Yeah Pele was the pick of that bunch. Quite liked him

Took a while to get up to speed, but pick of the non-Academy lot and on a par with Rino, but successful over a shorter period obvs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2023 11:16

Royal_jimmy Would you take a point Wednesday? as good a side as Luton are I feel like we need to win this one as Coventry looks tougher now they have a shot of getting the top 6.

Don't want to be going to Huddersfield needing 3 points to survive!

I'll take any point we can get.

The only game we can hope for more than an outside chance of a win is Wigan.

194 posts