#SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

2661 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: “ Sell before we Dai “ supporters action group v2.2 sponsored by Dunlop Tennis Balls

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2023 11:05

Sebastian the Red
Eaststandman I understand snowflake's response, but l imagine that at some stage a protest will have to "hurt to work" or what use would it be? The pants day protest had a good natured, humorous approach, but perhaps the current situation is too serious or desperate for such genteel, polite protest, is it really having the desired effect?

TLDR: you're wrong.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: “ Sell before we Dai “ supporters action group v2.2 sponsored by Dunlop Tennis Balls

by SouthDownsRoyal » 03 Oct 2023 11:27

Not sure anything will get to dai

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 03 Oct 2023 11:27

Mr Angry Have the local MP's got involved? If not, it might be a good idea to get them to do so, likewise the town and county councils.

External representations - all the way up to the Chinese Government - to apply pressure on the owner to sell up will work more effectively than tennis balls on the pitch IMHO, because what Dai will want to avoid is losing face, and being called into some dingy Beijing office to be hauled over the coals by some CPC minion will be excruciating for him.

Last week Canada got isolated in the international community for daring to allege that the Indian government had carried out the extra-judicial assassination of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. Our government hardly made a peep - because we're terrified in a post-2016 world of annoying the massive Asian economies which have significant control over our short and medium term future.

I absolutely agree that our local MPs should be showing more support and trying to do more (I believe that a couple of them have made statements) - but I see absolutely no chance in hell of us putting pressure on the Chinese government over this. We'd be laughed out of the room. Their own policies are one of the major contributing factors on why Dai has struggled to support us more financially, they are far less interested in foreign sports investment these days, and have been putting measures in place actively to reduce it. Since 2017/18 Chinese investment in European football has reduced significantly.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Oct 2023 13:10

In case anyone wants to write to their local MP to ask for support, here are the relevant email addresses.

Consituency email for Matt Rodda, MP for Reading East: mattroddampcasework@parliament.uk

Email address for Alok Sharma, MP for Reading West: alok.sharma.mp@parliament.uk

Email address for John Redwood, MP for Wokingham: john.redwood.mp@parliament.uk

Email address for Laura Farris, MP for Newbury: laura.farris.mp@parliament.uk

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Oct 2023 13:23

Sebastian the Red
Mr Angry Have the local MP's got involved? If not, it might be a good idea to get them to do so, likewise the town and county councils.

External representations - all the way up to the Chinese Government - to apply pressure on the owner to sell up will work more effectively than tennis balls on the pitch IMHO, because what Dai will want to avoid is losing face, and being called into some dingy Beijing office to be hauled over the coals by some CPC minion will be excruciating for him.

Last week Canada got isolated in the international community for daring to allege that the Indian government had carried out the extra-judicial assassination of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. Our government hardly made a peep - because we're terrified in a post-2016 world of annoying the massive Asian economies which have significant control over our short and medium term future.

I absolutely agree that our local MPs should be showing more support and trying to do more (I believe that a couple of them have made statements) - but I see absolutely no chance in hell of us putting pressure on the Chinese government over this. We'd be laughed out of the room. Their own policies are one of the major contributing factors on why Dai has struggled to support us more financially, they are far less interested in foreign sports investment these days, and have been putting measures in place actively to reduce it. Since 2017/18 Chinese investment in European football has reduced significantly.

I agree. I think it unlikely that a few chants from our singing section will trouble the Chinese Communist Party.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Oct 2023 15:43

Sebastian the Red but I see absolutely no chance in hell of us putting pressure on the Chinese government over this.

Pressure to do what? It's none of their business.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Oct 2023 15:55

Sebastian the Red but I see absolutely no chance in hell of us putting pressure on the Chinese government over this.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 03 Oct 2023 15:59

Norfolk Royal
Sebastian the Red

I agree. I think it unlikely that a few chants from our singing section will trouble the Chinese Communist Party.

Maybe we should try a big banner with the Taiwanese flag and Winnie the Pooh on it or something.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Oct 2023 16:03

Orion1871
Norfolk Royal
Sebastian the Red

Maybe we should try a big banner with the Taiwanese flag and Winnie the Pooh on it or something.

Do political messages so offensive to Xi that he feels the need to disassociate himself from us to protect himself falling out of any windows. Could work.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Oct 2023 16:06

The Chinese government couldn't give a fcuk about their own citizens, let alone a foreign football club.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Oct 2023 16:28

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 03 Oct 2023 16:41

Lower West

Perhaps you should read the post I was replying to. Context really helps.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2023 17:43

I know you're a Tory and so are most of the local MPs, but I think you have a rather overinflated view of their power and influence if you think the Chinese embassy, let alone Government are going to pay the slightest attention to a few no mark back benchers in England for something they couldn’t give two shiny shits about.

They'd have practically zero influence over me in my professional capacity if they wrote in about their constituents, let alone one of the world's super powers.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 03 Oct 2023 21:05

Re my apparently "utterly bizarre" post, for the record,
I have no agenda or Star membership
I am not part of any protest group
I do not advocate any harmful acts
I merely asked a question
I do have some experience of protests
I am entitled to a point of view or to question effectiveness
I always thought of the boards as a common interest debate
If my remark was so controversial, l apologise for any offence
I do think the situation is serious and probably beyond our control or influence
Sadly!......

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Oct 2023 21:31

Eaststandman Re my apparently "utterly bizarre" post, for the record,
I have no agenda or Star membership
I am not part of any protest group
I do not advocate any harmful acts
I merely asked a question
I do have some experience of protests
I am entitled to a point of view or to question effectiveness
I always thought of the boards as a common interest debate
If my remark was so controversial, l apologise for any offence
I do think the situation is serious and probably beyond our control or influence
Sadly!......

You must be new here… checks joining date. Oh :?

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 03 Oct 2023 21:56

FAO Brogue
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Oct 2023 22:00

Can fans get their tennis ball back after the game or is the club going to go into business supplying them to tennis clubs in the area?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 03 Oct 2023 22:37

Sutekh Can fans get their tennis ball back after the game or is the club going to go into business supplying them to tennis clubs in the area?

So that's the club's racket. I tried to get my ball back but they set their bouncers on me. Might take them to court

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Oct 2023 10:04

Great news from the group that the SCL stadium has been made an asset of the community value ( ACV) by Reading Borough council.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Oct 2023 10:40

Royals and Racers Great news from the group that the SCL stadium has been made an asset of the community value ( ACV) by Reading Borough council.

That's a good effort by Star and SBWD. And even better by the council. These things normally take a lot longer to process

It will prevent Dai from selling the stadium for the next 5 years, without STAR/SBWD being given the chance to bid for it. Which may of course be academic but it is at least positive news.

2661 posts