398 posts
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: HMRC Winding up petition/order

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Jul 2023 22:58

tmesis
Royal_jimmy
Sutekh
But it's the only source of money the club has currently.

Let's hope someone non-Chinese wants to buy the club, even Mike Ashley would be a step forward.

At least he speaks English and knows how to run a football club

He ran Newcastle at bare minimum levels, using the club as a billboard for Sports Direct.

Applying the same model would probably see us turned into a Rotherham style Championship/League One yoyo club. I'm not sure why he's being touted as some kind of dream owner.

What he'd get out of the deal is also less clear.

He tried to run Newcastle as a business, investing some of his own money but not doing anything stupid. It's a bit hard to criticise him for not trying to compete with billionaires. By all accounts the club was in an extremely good place when it was sold, making more appealing to foreign investors than a financial mess like Everton.

I don't think he have any issues with investing £13m a year to gamble on the club eventually getting back to the PL. He then obviously gets a very large pay day when sold as a PL club for something like £200-250m. Trying to turn around previously successful companies is sort of his thing.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Jul 2023 07:33

Elm Park Kid
tmesis
Royal_jimmy
At least he speaks English and knows how to run a football club

He ran Newcastle at bare minimum levels, using the club as a billboard for Sports Direct.

Applying the same model would probably see us turned into a Rotherham style Championship/League One yoyo club. I'm not sure why he's being touted as some kind of dream owner.

What he'd get out of the deal is also less clear.

He tried to run Newcastle as a business, investing some of his own money but not doing anything stupid. It's a bit hard to criticise him for not trying to compete with billionaires. By all accounts the club was in an extremely good place when it was sold, making more appealing to foreign investors than a financial mess like Everton.

I don't think he have any issues with investing £13m a year to gamble on the club eventually getting back to the PL. He then obviously gets a very large pay day when sold as a PL club for something like £200-250m. Trying to turn around previously successful companies is sort of his thing.

I would love Mike Ashley to buy us. I think he’d be a really great fit for the club. Not sure, if he’d rather a club more of West Brom’s size or whether he’d be able to see our potential.

I guess it’s unlikely but I remember hearing him speaking after missing out on Derby and him saying the proper way to do business is for it all to be kept strictly confidential until the deal is done.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jul 2023 07:59

A bit more background on the current owners of Reading FC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66053700

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2023 08:32

So much for billionaire, he didn't even have double the wealth of Madejski at his height when Dai bought us.

I'm guessing he's so private because between us and China investigating him and going cool on football he's lost two or three hundred million. Probably most of the rest is locked down in assets or stuck in china.

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 11 Jul 2023 10:36

I bumped into an acquaintance who was part of the trip to Spain, I only had a second or two with him, I asked if I needed to be worried and he said no.

That was it, take what you want from that.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Jul 2023 10:59

wally bassoon I bumped into an acquaintance who was part of the trip to Spain, I only had a second or two with him, I asked if I needed to be worried and he said no.

That was it, take what you want from that.

Funny you should say that as I have just spoken to my very good mate who worked at TV Trader years ago and is good friends with the old Reading hierarchy. He told me a few weeks back not to get too excited about any new signings but he now feels that things are getting better.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2023 11:07

There do seem to be more rumblings about that things are improving but until there is something concrete that impacts the first team positively then I'll take it all with a pinch of salt.

Reports to seem to suggest that deals have been agreed with multiple players, so fingers crossed we see something/anything positive soon - not discounting the Academy news ofc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2023 11:49

One of the more accurate Twitter types suggested this week was a very big week - suggesting things should be sorted but if not there could be bigger consequences inc Selles losing his patience

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2023 12:13

Chap from the chronicle now also saying this week

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Jul 2023 12:24

If true, will be nice to have a few weeks only worrying about how under prepared for the upcoming season we are instead of the existential future of the club.

If the club pull the rabbits out of the hat before the window closes and we end up having a good season, will trust start to be rebuilt? Or have these past 6 weeks or so simply been too chaotic?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2023 12:37

WestYorksRoyal If true, will be nice to have a few weeks only worrying about how under prepared for the upcoming season we are instead of the existential future of the club.

If the club pull the rabbits out of the hat before the window closes and we end up having a good season, will trust start to be rebuilt? Or have these past 6 weeks or so simply been too chaotic?

It's hard to see a way back for my trust while Dai remains.

We've had a good season a couple of times before and its just masked the rot.

I think it'll take two seasons of solid progress and good decisions to convince me as long as Dai is in charge. And even then I'd probably still be half waiting for the next calamity.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Jul 2023 12:43

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal If true, will be nice to have a few weeks only worrying about how under prepared for the upcoming season we are instead of the existential future of the club.

I think it'll take two seasons of solid progress and good decisions to convince me as long as Dai is in charge. And even then I'd probably still be half waiting for the next calamity.

Perhaps. In normal circumstances, regaining Cat 1 Academy status would be viewed as a major sign of improvement. What if it has just been a bit of cash flow issues getting money out of China undermining things? Which they can find a solution too? The narrative can change

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jul 2023 12:45

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Perhaps. In normal circumstances, regaining Cat 1 Academy status would be viewed as a major sign of improvement. What if it has just been a bit of cash flow issues getting money out of China undermining things? Which they can find a solution too? The narrative can change

If that corrects itself then yes that's always helpful. But even when we were spending money, it's hardly like it was going well either. Not really a great situation to be in when your club constantly has problems with, or without, money.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2023 12:52

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Well it's not just cash flow is it. Its years of poor decisions, financial mismanagement and appointments, coupled with 6 months of difficulty transfering money around, multiple FL charges and a very promising attempt to rebuild ripped up and stifled because of them.

Cat 1 would be a great sign, if it wasn't for the likelihood the outcome is based on work months ago, since which things fell apart.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 11 Jul 2023 12:55

I see the BBC posted a profile of Dai Yongge this morning.
Clearly no real interest in running a football club, just a passing fad, more money than sense or ethics.
Given the personal wealth - assuming it's real - I don't see why the club couldn't just be offered for sale with the existing debts paid off?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Jul 2023 13:20

glenroyal I see the BBC posted a profile of Dai Yongge this morning.
Clearly no real interest in running a football club, just a passing fad, more money than sense or ethics.
Given the personal wealth - assuming it's real - I don't see why the club couldn't just be offered for sale with the existing debts paid off?

I`m surprised that hasn`t been mentioned on here before tbh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2023 13:38

If (obvs big if) things do get sorted this week and we can make signings, really don’t think we’ve got that much to catch up on

Knibbs seems to have been knocking around the place, if Walcott is still on he’ll be experienced enough to get started asap . Hopefully Mbengue and Hoilett - they won’t need any time to bed in

Then sounds like we have 3 or 4 lined up good to go after. That’ll be enough to get us going, throw in a few loans who will be currently in training with their parent club. Sure Selles is already up to speed and influencing

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 11 Jul 2023 14:02

I mentioned this previously, but if Dai is unable/unwilling to fund us then we won't know about it for a while. July is the month that we'd naturally receive a lot of money anyway, especially if the first Puscas installment has come through. No doubt we'd use it all to sign contracts and make initial payments and just hope that something crops up before it all runs out.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 11 Jul 2023 16:01

windermereROYAL
glenroyal I see the BBC posted a profile of Dai Yongge this morning.

I`m surprised that hasn`t been mentioned on here before tbh.

Ho, ho, ho!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 11 Jul 2023 16:04

Hi Glen. We've never met afaik, but you are one of the old school posters from when I joined pre-2004. Great to hear from you.

398 posts