Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

2555 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by morganb » 27 Feb 2024 14:25

tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL So lets assume we are losing the other 2 points too, we probably need 18 points from 11 games, 6 wins or 5 wins and 3 draws, thats a big ask.

Is it? Even if you assume we get the 2pts off, we're still out of the relegation zone on goal difference, we just need to do better than 21st, which, on current form we will. Just need to not sink into despair like we seemed to last season.

As mentioned elsewhere, where the "2023/24 Magic Number" thread when you need it?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Orion1871 » 27 Feb 2024 14:40

tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL So lets assume we are losing the other 2 points too, we probably need 18 points from 11 games, 6 wins or 5 wins and 3 draws, thats a big ask.

Is it? Even if you assume we get the 2pts off, we're still out of the relegation zone on goal difference, we just need to do better than 21st, which, on current form we will. Just need to not sink into despair like we seemed to last season.

That's not taking into account the fact that the EFL can and will use something else Dai has, or rather hasn't, done to deduct us even more points between now and the end of the season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Feb 2024 14:40

PieEater A couple of things about that statement, who are other "identified football creditors"?

The racking up of fines is understandable but stupid IMHO. The fine came about from a frankly unrealistic demand to meet 2.25 times the normal months wages with a months notice in a situation where the club had no money. It's gone downhill from there.

Will they block a sale until the fine on the fine on the fine on the fine are paid?

We could have taken a points deduction, instead we argued for leniency which we knew would be the thing we couldn’t and wouldn’t do. oxf*rd us basically.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2024 14:45

It's the drip, drip that is painful and most damaging.

The deductions are probably fair but the constant suspensions and application of deductions makes it all so draining. We now all just expect the other 2 points to come off at somepoint in the next 2 months - so if we do, the players probably do too

Almost makes you jealous of Wigan, who had all their points off at the start of the year, got a new owner and now have very little to worry about for this season at least.

We know that even if we win the next 2, we are only one missed deadline away from being pushed straight back down the table again.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Feb 2024 14:56

What a sorry state of affairs. Must be demoralising for the players. At some stage they will be asking themselves what the point of even trying is.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Feb 2024 14:58

I'd have rather had the Derby County treatment. 21 points and relegation in one season, sale done within a year, now well placed to bounce back. We've been suffering a slow death by comparison.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Feb 2024 14:59

NathStPaul What a sorry state of affairs. Must be demoralising for the players. At some stage they will be asking themselves what the point of even trying is.

I feel bad for the players and coaching staff, but they'll move on and be fine. We're the ones who are stuck with this shit.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 27 Feb 2024 15:14

NathStPaul What a sorry state of affairs. Must be demoralising for the players. At some stage they will be asking themselves what the point of even trying is.

Whilst agreed it must be demoralising, imagine the scenes at the end of the game that confirmed we were staying up. Be absolute heroes, every single one of them. Worth fighting for, I reckon.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 27 Feb 2024 15:14

My immediate reaction to the EFL statement was that they have set RFC up to go bust the day after the season ends so as not to mess up their precious competition ! All newly threatened fines to the owner rack up as of April 2 assuming he doesn’t pay anything by Mar 18. At that point they bar him and give him 28 days (April 30) to sell the club. If he doesn’t sell then Reading are expelled from the EFL.
Hopefully someone can tell me I’m reading it wrong ??

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Feb 2024 15:24

Yeah we have the quality to get out comfortably. The concern is whether heads go like they did last year or we use it to galvanise another push for the next couple of months. Obvs the latter is preferable

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Feb 2024 15:26

Hound Yeah we have the quality to get out comfortably. The concern is whether heads go like they did last year or we use it to galvanise another push for the next couple of months. Obvs the latter is preferable

Saturday feels massive. A win in front of 1400 fans could be the catalyst we need. Being the team who Carlisle end their run against and it's easy to see our season spiral.

I think Selles and the squad really care and want to overcome it for the fans. Contrast this with Ince who is happy being able to say he'd have kept us up without the deduction (and TMac too).
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 27 Feb 2024 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Feb 2024 15:26

Amongst everything else, incredibly bored of this now. We’ve been made an example of and yeah all clubs agreed on the rules blah blah etc whatever

So tiresome - please let this focus Howe and co, even Dai, to just get this bloody sale done asap.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Feb 2024 15:28

Just read the club statement. Are they suggesting they’ll be fining Dai up to 500k?

Joke if they are expecting to see any of that

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2024 15:31

Hound Yeah we have the quality to get out comfortably. The concern is whether heads go like they did last year or we use it to galvanise another push for the next couple of months. Obvs the latter is preferable

I think a lot of last season was the messaging from the manager and how negative that often was.

Selles is setting out a very positive message and that seems to be rubbing off on the players - I think if we stay out of the bottom 4 we will be fine, the concern will be if after a good run the lost points sees us back in the relegation zone through no real fault of the squad. That may well be hard to pick yourself up from esp. if it happens with the 2 point suspension still active.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Feb 2024 15:45

Stranded

I think a lot of last season was the messaging from the manager and how negative that often was.

Selles is setting out a very positive message and that seems to be rubbing off on the players - I think if we stay out of the bottom 4 we will be fine, the concern will be if after a good run the lost points sees us back in the relegation zone through no real fault of the squad. That may well be hard to pick yourself up from esp. if it happens with the 2 point suspension still active.

Some big differences to last year:

1. Selles V Ince
2. Last season we were basically safe (13 points I believe) and the leaked announcement from the Telegraph was a complete surprise.
3. We had a run of very difficult games, Boro, Sheffield, Millwall, Blackburn and then at the end Luton, Burnely and Coventry.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 Feb 2024 15:46

Stranded

Ironically, after the game on Saturday I turned around to my mates and said that performance reminded me of when the players must have known points deductions were incoming. It never ends and as mentioned above what happened to Derby would have been much more favourable.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Feb 2024 15:55

blythspartan
Stranded

Ironically, after the game on Saturday I turned around to my mates and said that performance reminded me of when the players must have known points deductions were incoming. It never ends and as mentioned above what happened to Derby would have been much more favourable.

A few people commenting on Saturday's performance in the light of this.

For my money, the initial response to going 2-0 down was not one of a team distracted or discouraged. The 3rd goal then really knocked the stuffing out of us and led to a flat 2nd half after a long run of midweek games with a thin squad.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Feb 2024 16:38

Is there a cut-off point for points deductions?

The season ends on the 27th of April. Could there be a situation where we stay up by a point, then get deducted points because we missed a payment at the end of April, or May even?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Feb 2024 16:45

WestYorksRoyal

I feel bad for the players and coaching staff, but they'll move on and be fine. We're the ones who are stuck with this shit.

If we go bust then not all players and coaching staff will be ok, not everyone will get picked up by a different club. All we can hope for is that their attitude is if "I perform well and we stay up I've still got a job or potentially a move to a more secure club and if the club goes bust I've done the best to put myself in the shop window to get picked up". So far Selles seems to be far better at creating that working environment than Ince was last season.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Feb 2024 16:46

tmesis Is there a cut-off point for points deductions?

The season ends on the 27th of April. Could there be a situation where we stay up by a point, then get deducted points because we missed a payment at the end of April, or May even?

I think (but not 100% certain) it's the same as the old transfer deadline day (and still the EFL deadline for loan moves) - fourth Thursday in March.

2555 posts