Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Port Vale

by Hound » 12 Aug 2023 17:30

Fair summary

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Aug 2023 17:50

If Bowen or any of the management read this then this is my take.

The defence needs replacing. Yiadom, McIntyre and Holmes have been regulars in a side who have conceded 170 goals in the past 2 seasons. They have a losers mentality and deserve to be dropped or sold. It won't happen but the defence just isn't up to it.

First half we were decent and should have been ahead. The penalty was poor and thought it should have been taken by someone else.

Second half.. I can't be bothered to rant but I'm extremely angry with it. We were even worse than in the last 20 of the first half. Didn't look dangerous and were outfought vs a Port Vale side who conceded 9 in their last 2 games. Unacceptable.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Aug 2023 18:04

Royal_jimmy If Bowen or any of the management read this then this is my take.

The defence needs replacing. Yiadom, McIntyre and Holmes have been regulars in a side who have conceded 170 goals in the past 2 seasons. They have a losers mentality and deserve to be dropped or sold. It won't happen but the defence just isn't up to it.

First half we were decent and should have been ahead. The penalty was poor and thought it should have been taken by someone else.

Second half.. I can't be bothered to rant but I'm extremely angry with it. We were even worse than in the last 20 of the first half. Didn't look dangerous and were outfought vs a Port Vale side who conceded 9 in their last 2 games. Unacceptable.

Second half was so bad that even Selles spotted it's shortcomings!

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 12 Aug 2023 18:07

I suppose the one positive is that the loyalty points meltdowns won’t happen if we keep this form up…

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Aug 2023 18:17

Interesting that, given two games with no goals scored and only two conceded, the first target is to remove the defence. If we finish the season having conceded exactly one goal per game we won’t be anywhere near the worst defence in the league.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Aug 2023 18:23

Franchise FC

Interesting that, given two games with no goals scored and only two conceded, the first target is to remove the defence. If we finish the season having conceded exactly one goal per game we won’t be anywhere near the worst defence in the league.

PV could and should have scored about 4. And because the defence was so woeful we had no platform to build any sort of pressure

Definitely shortcomings going forward but it felt worse at the back

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Aug 2023 18:30

Franchise FC

We only conceded 1 today but it should have been more. We need more up front as well! Hardly looked like scoring after the first 15 minutes

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2023 18:39

Biggest positive is that it only took me an hour and 15 to get to Worcester :D

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 12 Aug 2023 18:54

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2023 19:37

You had hoped that this sorry lot would still be good enough at this level but that looks so far from reality.

I’m done with the whole defence, how was Yiadom one of the higher rated RBs in the championship once - utterly woeful. Tmac and Holmes both toilet, NGW ok going forward but atrociously delivery.

Hutch is crap and a liability. Carroll should be dropped, getting bullied by shit league one defenders. Should have had loads of free kicks but he doesn’t do enough.

Why did Selles take Ehib off? He looked our most likely option of getting in behind.

Button looked shaky and it’s obviously a bad goal to concede but shout out to the 4 “fans” that went down to the goal to berate him, really well done. 2 40-50 year olds and 2 children wearing those horrifical hoodies with the mask glasses sowed in. That’s one “fashion” thing which needs to die a death. But yeah I was gobsmacked, the abuse (one of the older blokes in particular - shit hat and shit tats) given to your own player on his debut was truly pathetic. Though I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised when his life’s achievement was probably fathering a walking asbo.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Aug 2023 19:40

CountryRoyal You had hoped that this sorry lot would still be good enough at this level but that looks so far from reality.

I’m done with the whole defence, how was Yiadom one of the higher rated RBs in the championship once - utterly woeful. Tmac and Holmes both toilet, NGW ok going forward but atrociously delivery.

Hutch is crap and a liability. Carroll should be dropped, getting bullied by shit league one defenders. Should have had loads of free kicks but he doesn’t do enough.

Why did Selles take Ehib off? He looked our most likely option of getting in behind.

Button looked shaky and it’s obviously a bad goal to concede but shout out to the 4 “fans” that went down to the goal to berate him, really well done. 2 40-50 year olds and 2 children wearing those horrifical hoodies with the mask glasses sowed in. That’s one “fashion” thing which needs to die a death. But yeah I was gobsmacked, the abuse (one of the older blokes in particular - shit hat and shit tats) given to your own player on his debut was truly pathetic. Though I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised when his life’s achievement was probably fathering a walking asbo.

Selles explained that to Tim after the match but I think it was in Portuguese as I didn't follow a word of it. But think the gist was that WiFi was underperforming too.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Aug 2023 19:58

It's results and performances like today that make what we all saw and appreciated on Tuesday almost obsolete.

The defence needs a shake up, it needs to Dean to come in and we need a better full back, on either side. Was never convinced by NGW really and Yiadom just seems to be regressing. Had a solid couple of seasons when he first signed, but has been falling backwards, especially the last 2 seasons or so.

I'm not bothered what age you are or where you have come from, either a record signing or from the academy, it must be better. We can't be affording crap like today from anyone. Nobody gets a pass from me, whether inexperienced or not.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2023 20:26

Sutekh
CountryRoyal You had hoped that this sorry lot would still be good enough at this level but that looks so far from reality.

Selles explained that to Tim after the match but I think it was in Portuguese as I didn't follow a word of it. But think the gist was that WiFi was underperforming too.

Kelvin did completely disappear after the first 30 minutes.

But he also showed he can partner Vickers and wasn't on the edge of a red. Not that it would have mattered the way the rest of the team played.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2023 20:30

YorkshireRoyal99 It's results and performances like today that make what we all saw and appreciated on Tuesday almost obsolete.

The defence needs a shake up, it needs to Dean to come in and we need a better full back, on either side. Was never convinced by NGW really and Yiadom just seems to be regressing. Had a solid couple of seasons when he first signed, but has been falling backwards, especially the last 2 seasons or so.

I'm not bothered what age you are or where you have come from, either a record signing or from the academy, it must be better. We can't be affording crap like today from anyone. Nobody gets a pass from me, whether inexperienced or not.

Not sure why you think Dean solves anything as he came on, improved nothing and showed no pace.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2023 20:44

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

But he also showed he can partner Vickers and wasn't on the edge of a red. Not that it would have mattered the way the rest of the team played.

Exactly. Baffling decision. If nothing else he’s young, decently pacey and can stretch the defence as opposed to an aging Andy Carroll who never looked like scoring.

I think we will see this theme quite a lot, start of well and then fade - if we score, great but if we don’t get an early goal we l revert back to type and lumber away with zero creativity and abject defending.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Aug 2023 20:48

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 It's results and performances like today that make what we all saw and appreciated on Tuesday almost obsolete.

Not sure why you think Dean solves anything as he came on, improved nothing and showed no pace.

Probably not up to speed yet in terms of match fitness and provides experience. I still maintain that your defence doesn't need pace, it needs understanding and positional awareness. Quicker thinking by a yard beats pace as a defender everyday of the week, pace is a useful trait to have, but not essential.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2023 20:50

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Exactly. Baffling decision. If nothing else he’s young, decently pacey and can stretch the defence as opposed to an aging Andy Carroll who never looked like scoring.

I think we will see this theme quite a lot, start of well and then fade - if we score, great but if we don’t get an early goal we l revert back to type and lumber away with zero creativity and abject defending.

Yep, early goals will be at a premium.

A few good results and the season could pick up quickly. But at the moment, I just don’t see any real plan.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Aug 2023 20:52

Even when we signed Yiadom he'd just been relegated with Barnsley, so not exactly ever had a winning mentality.

And to your other points, our fans really are a special bunch. Chants of "you're not fit to wear the shirt", even if it wasn't aimed at them specifically, half the team that finished were youngsters. Then you've got people on twitter telling lifelong Reading fans McIntyre and Holmes to GET OUT OF MY CLUB.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Aug 2023 20:56

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

The fact that Carroll wasn't pulled at half time makes me think Selles didn't have the bollocks to take him off. Even more so when he took Kelvin off - clearly the easy option.