MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

150 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

by NathStPaul » 25 Nov 2023 19:43

Sutekh
JR 3 home games on the spin now. No reason why we couldn’t build some real confidence and get a decent unbeaten run going.

Carlisle, Barnsley then Oxford all at home are the next 3 league games however there is a cup trip to Eastleigh after Carlisle and another home game v Charlton in the Bristol Motors Cup to be arranged, possibly after Eastleigh.

The Oxford game could be postponed though if Eastleigh v Reading is a draw next Sunday.

Ridiculous to suggest Reading could draw with a non league side.

Oh wait....

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 25 Nov 2023 20:14

bcubed
WestYorksRoyal BBC sport app just sent me a notification saying 2-2. Even they can't believe it. :lol: :lol:

Yes just saw that
WTF

BBC had final score as 2-2 until 530

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 25 Nov 2023 20:15

St Pauli Can someone bump the Selles In thread?

Can’t access the back pages on this browser

Maybe Andrew1957 could on his Facebook browser. Karma

info@farwayhideaway

by info@farwayhideaway » 25 Nov 2023 20:36

Cheese. Just checking if my account works.

scumbag

by scumbag » 25 Nov 2023 20:52

karbota Well done lads, but also congrats to Parkys Wrexham thrashed Morecambe 6-0.

Wtf has that got to do with anything

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 25 Nov 2023 20:54

scumbag
karbota Well done lads, but also congrats to Parkys Wrexham thrashed Morecambe 6-0.

Hopefully the coming home of our next manager.

scumbag

by scumbag » 25 Nov 2023 20:59

karbota
scumbag

Hopefully the coming home of our next manager.

Ok mate.. I love Phil Parkinson as much as the next man but there's no way he's joining our shit show.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Nov 2023 21:06

Oh my god we won. I'm glad I didn't bet on Wycombe coming back

Mr Sitter

by Mr Sitter » 25 Nov 2023 21:48

As has been mentioned most of the online football media reported an 84th minute equaliser for Wycombe. Did something happen around that time in the game ? Goal disallowed or shot into the side netting ?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Nov 2023 22:11

Mr Sitter As has been mentioned most of the online football media reported an 84th minute equaliser for Wycombe. Did something happen around that time in the game ? Goal disallowed or shot into the side netting ?

Don't even recall any close calls, that said they were shooting toward the opposite end of the pitch in the 2nd half so didn't have a great view.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Nov 2023 22:16

For a few years now, since the embargoes started, we've cobbled together teams with inexperienced players at the start of their careers but also older players with less mobile and not up to the rough and tumble of a long campaign. We've lacked players in their prime who can consistently deliver.

To an extent it's true this year, but today's scorers were Smith and Wing who are both in their mid to late 20s. If we're going to get out of the bottom 4, they will need to be big players for us; Smith has transformed us in an attacking sense. No injuries to these 2 please.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2023 22:25

Hound
JR 3 home games on the spin now. No reason why we couldn’t build some real confidence and get a decent unbeaten run going.

I can think of a few reasons but yes a real opportunity. Season defining I think

:lol: Agreed

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2023 22:28

tidus_mi2
Mr Sitter As has been mentioned most of the online football media reported an 84th minute equaliser for Wycombe. Did something happen around that time in the game ? Goal disallowed or shot into the side netting ?

Don't even recall any close calls, that said they were shooting toward the opposite end of the pitch in the 2nd half so didn't have a great view.

Not sure it was 84th,but there was a cluster oxf*rd with Smith failing to sheppard out and then Button beaten with the ball coming back off the far post.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Nov 2023 23:51

scumbag

Parky isn't coming here so get over it. Are you autistic?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Nov 2023 07:14

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2

Not sure it was 84th,but there was a cluster oxf*rd with Smith failing to sheppard out and then Button beaten with the ball coming back off the far post.

That was pretty early in the half, was nearly Shrewsbury all over again. I do think it came off Button's boot onto the post though so giving him the save there.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Nov 2023 07:31

I watched the highlights as I couldn't make it and we played some pretty cute football at times. A bit fortunate for the opening goal but we were due some luck.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 26 Nov 2023 09:15

Watched on iFollow (I've lived in spain my whole life. Let me off! Coincidently just down the road from where Ruben Selles grew up.)

Really impressed with the support, looking to get to my first game soon if I can fit it around my work. Any suggestions for fixtures that might be good for a family weekend (wife and 3 year old)

Onto yesterday's game

Button - Kicking mostly poor, wasn't troubled much. Their goal was really well taken. 6/10

Yiadom - Thought he played well, got forward and runs himself ragged 7/10

Binden and Abbey 9/10 - We should do everything we can to build the squad around them.

Dorsett 7/10 - Saw him a few games ago and wasn't convinced but he looked very solid yesterday. Shouldn't be playing Left Back though as lacks going forward and seems vulnerable to pace.

Craig - 10/10. Was everywhere degensively, reminded me of Jay Tabb, Bring the ball forward well too.

Wing - 8/10 Quality, almost everything we do well starts with Wing.

Knibbs - 6/10. I like him, does a lot of the hard work, never stops running, constantly roaring up the fans. Just seems like he's struggling to make his mark on games though yesterday he was a bit more involved that usual. Think he'll be a fan favourite once he gets settled. Plays much better off of Sam Smith unsurprisingly.

Ballard - 7/10 While he was on he looked like he'd be the one that'd make the difference. Loads of clever runs, and always gets himself in good positions to score. Injury looked really bad.

Azeez - 9/10. Never seen a player be so good at times and so bad at times within 90 minutes. Spends half the game skinning his man, whipping dangerous crosses in and getting good shots off then the other half he looks like he has no confidence, ca t control the ball when through on goal and can't play a simple pass. Reminds me a bit of Shane Long pre 2007. Please stop taking corners.
Two assists though so hopefully he can take some confidence from that.

Smith - 7/10 Could be our most complete forward since Kermorgant or Oliveira. Has changed the attack completely. Tired towards the end and would-be liked to see Kelvin come on to try hold the ball up.

Mukairu - 5/10 Spent some time working in Nigeria recently and the locals I got chatting to had never heard of him. Wasn't up to speed at all, constantly gave the ball away, didn't offer Dorsett any protection, forgot he was on the pitch. The only thing I'll say is he doesn't get the deer in headlights moments and seems reasonably composed when on the ball. I imagine we'll see a lot more of him in the next few games so hopefully can replicate some of his cup form.

Mbengue - 6/10 Good sub performance, looked as though we were vulnerable down our left and he shored it up along with Carson.

Carson - 6/10 As Mbengue.

Savage - 6/10 Couldn't really do much in the time he had. Pressed well though which is crucial at that stage of the game.

Ruben Selles - 9/10. Really wanted him to do well, I hope he stays but fear he's lost some of the players support and is too late.
Great use of his subs. Identified where we were starting to struggle and everyone he brought on improved the side at that point in the game. (Bar Mukairu but thought was forced)
Knocked a point off because I felt Smith / Knibbs should have been subbed off for Ehibhatioman around the 75th minute as we sat back they were isolated and was struggled to hold the ball up consistently.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Nov 2023 09:32

Greatwesternline
St Pauli Can someone bump the Selles In thread?

Can’t access the back pages on this browser

Maybe Andrew1957 could on his Facebook browser. Karma

Andrew uses Facebook browser like frimmers does?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Nov 2023 09:36

LightwaterRoyal Watched on iFollow (I've lived in spain my whole life. Let me off! Coincidently just down the road from where Ruben Selles grew up.)

Really impressed with the support, looking to get to my first game soon if I can fit it around my work. Any suggestions for fixtures that might be good for a family weekend (wife and 3 year old)

Onto yesterday's game

Button - Kicking mostly poor, wasn't troubled much. Their goal was really well taken. 6/10

Yiadom - Thought he played well, got forward and runs himself ragged 7/10

Binden and Abbey 9/10 - We should do everything we can to build the squad around them.

Dorsett 7/10 - Saw him a few games ago and wasn't convinced but he looked very solid yesterday. Shouldn't be playing Left Back though as lacks going forward and seems vulnerable to pace.

Craig - 10/10. Was everywhere degensively, reminded me of Jay Tabb, Bring the ball forward well too.

Wing - 8/10 Quality, almost everything we do well starts with Wing.

Knibbs - 6/10. I like him, does a lot of the hard work, never stops running, constantly roaring up the fans. Just seems like he's struggling to make his mark on games though yesterday he was a bit more involved that usual. Think he'll be a fan favourite once he gets settled. Plays much better off of Sam Smith unsurprisingly.

Ballard - 7/10 While he was on he looked like he'd be the one that'd make the difference. Loads of clever runs, and always gets himself in good positions to score. Injury looked really bad.

Azeez - 9/10. Never seen a player be so good at times and so bad at times within 90 minutes. Spends half the game skinning his man, whipping dangerous crosses in and getting good shots off then the other half he looks like he has no confidence, ca t control the ball when through on goal and can't play a simple pass. Reminds me a bit of Shane Long pre 2007. Please stop taking corners.
Two assists though so hopefully he can take some confidence from that.

Smith - 7/10 Could be our most complete forward since Kermorgant or Oliveira. Has changed the attack completely. Tired towards the end and would-be liked to see Kelvin come on to try hold the ball up.

Mukairu - 5/10 Spent some time working in Nigeria recently and the locals I got chatting to had never heard of him. Wasn't up to speed at all, constantly gave the ball away, didn't offer Dorsett any protection, forgot he was on the pitch. The only thing I'll say is he doesn't get the deer in headlights moments and seems reasonably composed when on the ball. I imagine we'll see a lot more of him in the next few games so hopefully can replicate some of his cup form.

Mbengue - 6/10 Good sub performance, looked as though we were vulnerable down our left and he shored it up along with Carson.

Carson - 6/10 As Mbengue.

Savage - 6/10 Couldn't really do much in the time he had. Pressed well though which is crucial at that stage of the game.

Ruben Selles - 9/10. Really wanted him to do well, I hope he stays but fear he's lost some of the players support and is too late.
Great use of his subs. Identified where we were starting to struggle and everyone he brought on improved the side at that point in the game. (Bar Mukairu but thought was forced)
Knocked a point off because I felt Smith / Knibbs should have been subbed off for Ehibhatioman around the 75th minute as we sat back they were isolated and was struggled to hold the ball up consistently.

Hi Ruben!

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 26 Nov 2023 10:36

Sorry I wasnt able to folloe this game.

Thanks as ever for the post match reports and opinions.

Thats 1 loss in 5 in all competitions.

Shame 3 of those were cups.....

Regardless, that is good form!

150 posts