MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

256 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

by tmesis » 12 Jan 2024 20:57

yuomi At this point it couldn't be clearer Dai'll have no second thoughts about the club going under. He's not getting any money back from his investment, and he's willing to get fined tens of thousands of pounds repeatedly for not depositing what, for him, is a measly sum as per the EFL's instructions. I don't really see how they, or anyone else, can force him to sell

They seem to think they can force the sale (see page 4, point 19)
https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/gc-m ... f643aa.pdf

It's not clear what would happen if he doesn't sell though - probably kicked out of the league?

JR

by JR » 13 Jan 2024 00:35

tmesis
yuomi At this point it couldn't be clearer Dai'll have no second thoughts about the club going under. He's not getting any money back from his investment, and he's willing to get fined tens of thousands of pounds repeatedly for not depositing what, for him, is a measly sum as per the EFL's instructions. I don't really see how they, or anyone else, can force him to sell

They seem to think they can force the sale (see page 4, point 19)
https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/gc-m ... f643aa.pdf

It's not clear what would happen if he doesn't sell though - probably kicked out of the league?

Yes, the EFL have tried to disqualify Dai and force him to sell within 28 days. Can argue whether that would have been good or bad for the club’s future to cause a fire sale.

Independent commission rejected the EFL sanctions on the grounds they were not proportionate and wouldn’t even permit a suspended disqualification.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 13 Jan 2024 00:57

Independent commission rejected the EFL sanctions on the grounds they were not proportionate and wouldn’t even permit a suspended disqualification.

You've got to think this position changes if games start getting abandoned, bringing the league into disrepute. It's worth a try

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jan 2024 06:20

blueroyals

You've got to think this position changes if games start getting abandoned, bringing the league into disrepute. It's worth a try

If games start getting abandoned any punishment will be on the club as it will have failed to control it's fans.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Jan 2024 08:07

Stranded
blueroyals

If games start getting abandoned any punishment will be on the club as it will have failed to control it's fans.

There won't be any games to get abandoned soon as Reading Football Club won't exist.

Let's just do nothing though eh? Sleepwalk in to it. You're unreal.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2024 08:33

Bit more becomes abundantly clear. Mr Dai basically no longer has the money to finance a FL club. This lack of funds may or may not be of his making - he hasn't and/or won't provide the background as to the reasons so it's impossible to know whether he deserves any understanding. Whatever the reasons though the fact remains he needs to sell up and move on from the club as soon as possible.

Think the current sanctions are about right but if he has been "moving goalposts" in a way that can be considered more than just basic negotiation in trying to sell the club then that should be used against him when the next round of charges are levied against him - and at that point the enforced sale of the club may well be the outcome.

Also I find it "uncomfortable" that the FL seem to see the payment of the fine/setting up of the deposit account as being a priority over the paying of club staff on time (particularly given that the latter enables them to sling more points deductions the way of the club, which the parties agreed would be an inappropriate response to the charges levied).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jan 2024 08:41

NathStPaul
Stranded
blueroyals

There won't be any games to get abandoned soon as Reading Football Club won't exist.

Let's just do nothing though eh? Sleepwalk in to it. You're unreal.

Err, not sure I said do nothing did I?

Stop being a twat.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 13 Jan 2024 10:34

Reading that submission, there is no way the EFL can disqualify Dai after the breach of the order, as the Wigan owners breached it twice and weren't even threatened with disqualification, and there are no precedents for the EFL to shut a club down (regardless of the more wild interpretations expressed on here).

The only sanction that the EFL has is to continually - and in increasing increments - fine Dai; if he didn't pay in the required 125% sum yesterday then he immediately gets another £50K fine.

I suggest that this will be what gets him to sell up; continual fines draining him of money.

I also noted that the EFL seemed more bothered about the need to deposit te 125% over the actual payment of wages.... :shock:

As has been stated, trying to get a match aboandoned will merely punish the club (and all the other fans) as at the very least, there will be sanctions applied to have a number of games played behind closed doors and potentially have points deducted.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 13 Jan 2024 10:43

A topic change here but definitely worth a mention..

Regardless of what happens today, Port Vale fans have been absolutely class on their forum/Twitter. They went through a similar mess to us not so long ago so it's easier to empathise with us but a very understanding bunch. Long way to come here and potentially see an abandonment. Other clubs fans would feel aggrieved and hold a grudge against us for that. They've won all my respect.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 13 Jan 2024 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2024 10:45

Mr Angry Reading that submission, there is no way the EFL can disqualify Dai after the breach of the order, as the Wigan owners breached it twice and weren't even threatened with disqualification, and there are no precedents for the EFL to shut a club down (regardless of the more wild interpretations expressed on here).

The only sanction that the EFL has is to continually - and in increasing increments - fine Dai; if he didn't pay in the required 125% sum yesterday then he immediately gets another £50K fine.

I suggest that this will be what gets him to sell up; continual fines draining him of money.

I also noted that the EFL seemed more bothered about the need to deposit te 125% over the actual payment of wages.... :shock:

As has been stated, trying to get a match aboandoned will merely punish the club (and all the other fans) as at the very least, there will be sanctions applied to have a number of games played behind closed doors and potentially have points deducted.

The FL have already asked to disqualify him, so it is clearly an option within their armament.

It was declined by the independent crew. But when Dai doesn't comply for a second time, and doesn't pay his fine, it's going to be raised again, and a further fine is going to be pointless when he didn't pay the first one, so it's got to escalate beyond fines.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 13 Jan 2024 10:49

Snowflake Royal
Mr Angry Reading that submission, there is no way the EFL can disqualify Dai after the breach of the order, as the Wigan owners breached it twice and weren't even threatened with disqualification, and there are no precedents for the EFL to shut a club down (regardless of the more wild interpretations expressed on here).

The FL have already asked to disqualify him, so it is clearly an option within their armament.

It was declined by the independent crew. But when Dai doesn't comply for a second time, and doesn't pay his fine, it's going to be raised again, and a further fine is going to be pointless when he didn't pay the first one, so it's got to escalate beyond fines.

Are there any precedents for disqualification?

If not then its a tough call, unless it is in the EFL rule book stating what sanctions are to be applied in the event of continual breaches.

I'm not defending Dai, but I think legally it becomes very murky if the EFL start to make sanctions up on the hoof.

I have spent a lot of time looking at contracts and contractual obligations when a Party appears to be in breach, and unless there are water-tight and explicit actions that follow specific events, it is a legal minefield.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 13 Jan 2024 10:53

Snowflake Royal

And games getting abandoned puts pressure on those greater sanctions to come sooner

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 13 Jan 2024 10:59

I'm surprised given how many times that this has happened to football clubs that it's so difficult to push grossly incompetent or skint owners to sell.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2024 11:00

Mr Angry
Snowflake Royal

Are there any precedents for disqualification?

If not then its a tough call, unless it is in the EFL rule book stating what sanctions are to be applied in the event of continual breaches.

I'm not defending Dai, but I think legally it becomes very murky if the EFL start to make sanctions up on the hoof.

I have spent a lot of time looking at contracts and contractual obligations when a Party appears to be in breach, and unless there are water-tight and explicit actions that follow specific events, it is a legal minefield.

Yes, banning people from being an owner is absolutely going to be in their play book. It's part of the basis of refusing permission to buy a club.

You don't go to your sanctions committee asking for something that isn't in your tariff grid.

I work in a completely different industry, but we have that power in our arsenal. We can bar someone from being involved in what we do, and if they're the top person at their place of business and they aren't replaced, we no longer do business with them.

Repeated failure to comply will be an aggravating circumstance which leads to escalating sanction.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2024 11:01

blueroyals
Snowflake Royal

And games getting abandoned puts pressure on those greater sanctions to come sooner

No it doesn't. It goes to the club, not Dai.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 13 Jan 2024 11:16

Am reading on twitter no royalstv stream? Any truth in this?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2024 11:37

Jagermesiter1871 Am reading on twitter no royalstv stream? Any truth in this?

Match centre has the watch live button.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2024 11:52

Snowflake Royal

Not on a Saturday 3pm fixture it won't in the UK.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2024 12:58

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal

Not on a Saturday 3pm fixture it won't in the UK.

Obviously. But anyone regularly using RoyalsTV is outside the UK or spoofing their location with a VPN.

No RoyalsTV in UK is the default position, not surprising news from twitter.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2024 14:05

This weeks fall guys...

256 posts