Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2024 14:42

Brogue Will Unwin
@Will_Unwin
Nelson Abbey is set to leave Reading to join Olympiakos, I am told
2:11 PM · Jan 19, 2024
·
^ guardian journo

Ahead of signing for Forest at some point in the very near future.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2024 14:44

Linden Jones' Tash
Brogue Will Unwin
@Will_Unwin
·
^ guardian journo

So as he's out of contract in the summer and Olympiakos is not an English team - what does this mean regarding any compensation?

Nothing. If he goes now, it is a transfer, which would include a fee plus we apparently have an option on another year too.

If he was OOC, we would get close to zero comp from him leaving to go abroad.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 19 Jan 2024 14:46

Stranded
Linden Jones' Tash
Brogue Will Unwin
@Will_Unwin
·
^ guardian journo

So as he's out of contract in the summer and Olympiakos is not an English team - what does this mean regarding any compensation?

Nothing. If he goes now, it is a transfer, which would include a fee plus we apparently have an option on another year too.

Very helpful thanks.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jan 2024 15:03

Stranded
Linden Jones' Tash
Brogue Will Unwin
@Will_Unwin
·
^ guardian journo

Biggest worry here is we put in a decent sell on clause, then Olympiakos sell him to Forest for pittance.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Jan 2024 15:08

Even being reported in Greek press now:

https://twitter.com/Nikos_Kotsis/status ... 7183218750

GoogleTranslate @olympiacosfc
have been monitoring for some time and as it turns out England are buying from
@ReadingFC
the 20-year-old Anglo-Nigerian central defender Nelson Abey. Left-footed, athletic starter in the small national teams. Formal sentences & from #Luton , #Southampton
@NelsonAbbey03

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2024 15:16

Pepe the Horseman
Stranded
Linden Jones' Tash

Biggest worry here is we put in a decent sell on clause, then Olympiakos sell him to Forest for pittance.

That is the concern and one could argue that transfers between clubs in the same multi-club network really need to be looked at. I know UEFA have put some ruling about deals between clubs in the same network if both are in European competition this season (can't transfer any player between then until Sep 24) but perhaps something needs to be rolled out across all leagues i.e. player cannot join club A in a network then transfer to club b in the same or next transfer window.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Jan 2024 15:27

morganb Even being reported in Greek press now:

@ReadingFC
the 20-year-old Anglo-Nigerian central defender Nelson Abey. Left-footed, athletic starter in the small national teams. Formal sentences & from #Luton , #Southampton
@NelsonAbbey03

What a load of bollocks. Forest have been monitoring him and because they're about to be hit with a points deduction they're owner is getting around it by buying him for Olympiacos.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Jan 2024 15:30

Orion1871

@ReadingFC
@NelsonAbbey03

What a load of bollocks. Forest have been monitoring him and because they're about to be hit with a points deduction they're owner is getting around it by buying him for Olympiacos.

It's clever business.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Jan 2024 15:36

NathStPaul
Orion1871

It's clever business.

Didn't say it wasn't. We've done it ourselves.

In fact, one of the few clever things Dai has ever done in his life is send Aluko off to China for 6 months.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 19 Jan 2024 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Jan 2024 15:41

It is funny how we have one of the leakiest defences in League 1 and a potent attack - and we're selling our defenders. I'd be more worried if Azeez, Smith or Wing were to leave.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Jan 2024 15:52

It is very hard to see that RFC can stave off relegation if we lose a number of our best players, but if it staves off liquidation and Dai does eventually sell I guess we will at least have a club to support in L2 next season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jan 2024 16:03

andrew1957 It is very hard to see that RFC can stave off relegation if we lose a number of our best players, but if it staves off liquidation and Dai does eventually sell I guess we will at least have a club to support in L2 next season.

Bolton are in fine shape after relegation to L2 4 years ago. Admittedly they seem to have lucked out with their new owners, who seem excellent in pretty much every way despite not being billionaires. But they show what can be done.

1st priority is ensuring we go into next season with new owners, as otherwise there may not be a next season. 2nd priority is the quality of owners, which is more important than the division we're playing in. If we can get both these things, being in L1 next season is great but it's not the priority.

If these sales keep us afloat and cutting cloth makes us more appealing to better suitors, so be it.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jan 2024 16:04

andrew1957 It is very hard to see that RFC can stave off relegation if we lose a number of our best players, but if it staves off liquidation and Dai does eventually sell I guess we will at least have a club to support in L2 next season.

Right now, I’d just settle for a club to support. Even if we end up in the National League.

Hopefully, if we are in League Two next season with a new owner we’d be able to get ourselves back up to League One fairly quickly, but I wouldn’t take anything for granted. Bradford have been stuck down there a fair while now.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 19 Jan 2024 16:18

We will be a Titan in league 2. It’s going to be ace. A big reset that we need. Get rid of all the dead wood.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Jan 2024 16:25

Brogue We will be a Titan in league 2. It’s going to be ace. A big reset that we need. Get rid of all the dead wood.

I am not expecting the great reset until we are in the National League South.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jan 2024 17:34

If we liquidate, it would probably be in the summer, and going down would make that more likely. If we have such high fixed costs that we can't break even in League One, we have no chance at all in league Two.

Who would buy a season ticket knowing we could fold before the season starts?

Really, if we aren't sold by the summer, and there are no on-going talks, I think Dai pulls the plug.

Fezza

by Fezza » 19 Jan 2024 18:05

Can't help but feel that this is an unduly negative view of the situation in which we find ourselves. We were always going to sell when we were relegated and we were always going to have to continue to sell good young players who emerged (even without the financial shambles we are in), that is the lot of a lower league club. Personally I don't mind this as much as the staff leaving the academy, we have a number of defenders available - indeed we possibly have too many.

If the money from these allows us to off contracts to, or extend if the option is in the existing contract, Bindon or Craig then this is certainly a win. More so if we have a sell on.

Obviously I'd rather we shipped out NGW (if he's not going to be picked), Hutch or Dean, but I'm certain that they would generate little income / if any.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jan 2024 18:58

Fezza

Can't help but feel that this is an unduly negative view of the situation in which we find ourselves. We were always going to sell when we were relegated and we were always going to have to continue to sell good young players who emerged (even without the financial shambles we are in), that is the lot of a lower league club. Personally I don't mind this as much as the staff leaving the academy, we have a number of defenders available - indeed we possibly have too many.

If the money from these allows us to off contracts to, or extend if the option is in the existing contract, Bindon or Craig then this is certainly a win. More so if we have a sell on.

Obviously I'd rather we shipped out NGW (if he's not going to be picked), Hutch or Dean, but I'm certain that they would generate little income / if any.

I doubt even Nicky Hammond could sell Hutchinson and Dean, so no chance Pang can.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Jan 2024 19:18

Fezza

The money is going to Dais bank account. RFC are unlikely to see a penny. He can't get his asking price so he's selling off all the most valuable assets and then selling the husk of the club for a few million.

Fezza

by Fezza » 19 Jan 2024 19:29

Orion1871
Fezza

The money is going to Dais bank account. RFC are unlikely to see a penny. He can't get his asking price so he's selling off all the most valuable assets and then selling the husk of the club for a few million.

Probably, but can I at least hope it's being used to secure other valuable assets that he can then make more out of? (obviously nothing has so far suggested this level of financial acumen)

548 posts