MATCHWATCH : Leyton Orient (h)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leyton Orient (h)

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jan 2024 10:33

WestYorksRoyal Obviously lower prices make a difference, but the real key to bringing punters back is bringing back the feel good factor and enjoyment in supporting the club. For me, is it really worth 4 hours travel each way to see a shell of the club I used to support? But first home game once Dai has gone, I'm there. I appreciate I'm not the target of this debate given travel costs and time dwarf ticket prices, but if we can go into next season with new ownership and hopes of a good season fans will return. It's not just about money but what you want to do with your Saturday afternoon. But a change of ownership alone won't make us sell out, and if pricing deals can turn 15k into 20k that's obviously worthwhile.

Yes, once the new ownership is in place, I'll be down again on a more regular basis. Pre-Covid I always tried to make 2-3 home games a year alongside the away games in and around a couple of hours where I am.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2024 12:15

Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal I assume the club has the sales figures to show whether the extra numbers it generates makes it worth it.

I'm sure they have, but do they have the vision to see the longer-term positive impact?

So they'd need to make the change ahead of a new season, or people complain that they're being ripped off for having bought their kids a ST.

Then you're swapping guaranteed income for uncertain income. You need to bring in at least double, maybe triple or more the number of kids you currently have with STs, every game.

And once you do it, its hard to go back.

You're much more prone to a shit season tanking your income.

I can see why pretty much no one does it.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Jan 2024 13:01

If you had larger crowds you might find more money spent on food and at the shop, but you have to balance that with the cost of employing more people to cater to them, or people will complain about long queues and poor service. Presumably you’d also need more stewards in the stand, too. Might not actually make you more cash (but could still be worth it as part of a long-term plan to build up the fan base).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2024 13:12

I assume they make virtually no actual money from kids tickets as it is atm anyway mind you. Certainly not from the season tickets

It is all about long term investment which has not exactly been our strong point in recent times

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2024 13:14

Hound I assume they make virtually no actual money from kids tickets as it is atm anyway mind you. Certainly not from the season tickets

It is all about long term investment which has not exactly been our strong point in recent times

Yeah, the STs about half what I'd have guessed at.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Jan 2024 13:16

YorkshireRoyal99 Seemed a good atmosphere throughout the game, I know it's not their longest journey of the season but I didn't realise they were as well supported as they were either on their travels.

Seemed like we did quite well in the first half but fell away as the second half wore on. I don't think it's the worst point in the world, just disappointing not to win a winnable home game.

Over the next 4/5 games if we can just continue to claw our way back into the very tight group just above us, I think we will be ok. A lot of teams are looking over their shoulders at the moment.

Orient don't usually get big followings, the new ground factor was a pull for many as well as being just 1 train away from east London. Still an impressive following from them.

16k is the highest crowd we've had since Wigan last season. Hopefully we'll see a similar crowd v Charlton.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Jan 2024 15:35

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal I assume the club has the sales figures to show whether the extra numbers it generates makes it worth it.

I'm sure they have, but do they have the vision to see the longer-term positive impact?

So they'd need to make the change ahead of a new season, or people complain that they're being ripped off for having bought their kids a ST.

Then you're swapping guaranteed income for uncertain income. You need to bring in at least double, maybe triple or more the number of kids you currently have with STs, every game.

And once you do it, its hard to go back.

You're much more prone to a shit season tanking your income.

I can see why pretty much no one does it.

I do take your point but how many kids with STs are there? Maybe 500 max?

I believe they are heavily discounted already but how much does the club charge for kids' STs? (From memory I'm thinking max £100???)

So the revenue at stake is about £50k.

If KFAQ brings in an average of double the number of kids, then 1,000 x £1 x 23 games = £23k, so now we're only £27k short.

But if an adult ticket costs on average £27 per game that means we only need 1,000 additional adults to attend over the course of the whole season (43 per game on ave) to be in the positive.

Plus food, shirts etc. etc.

Plus improved atmosphere and building the future support base.

I appreciate there are many factors involved, plus I may not be quoting correct figures, and may also be missing a key factor in how I've looked at it, but it seems to me on fag packet calculations that it'd be hard to make a loss by going KFAQ for all games.

I do see that a crap season could scupper some of the numbers a bit, but not to a large degree.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2024 16:39

Currently either £23 or £69

So say we have 2k kids season tickets, 1k at each - it’s about 90k for one year

Expect it costs that in additional catering, security costs etc for those 2k

Tbh you could basically give them away for free

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Jan 2024 16:46

Hound Currently either £23 or £69

So say we have 2k kids season tickets, 1k at each - it’s about 90k for one year

Expect it costs that in additional catering, security costs etc for those 2k

Tbh you could basically give them away for free

It's likely less than 1k kids season tickets, but that doesn't include any adult who might not have gone without their kid wanting to go. The revenue from kids' season tickets/match tickets would probably be effectively nothing compared to total ticket revenue (as you imply).