Switching Ends

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Switching Ends

by Tony Le Mesmer » 25 Jan 2024 16:48

When was the last time we didn't shoot towards the South Stand in the first half?

Obviously we have done this for a large majority of games ever since moving to the stadium, but historically you'd get 3 or 4 out of 25 odd home games a season where you go the other way. But it seems like this hasn't happened in years. Do away teams just not bother mixing it up any more? As far as i'm aware teams can still choose when they win the toss.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Switching Ends

by The Royal Forester » 25 Jan 2024 18:38

i would say that if we win the toss we chose that way because it has always been done. If the opposition wins the toss it's playing towards their fans in the second half.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2024 19:54

There was a game last season I think.

Used to be the same at Elm Park. Very rare to kick at the town end in the 2nd half.

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 25 Jan 2024 21:08

Always thought we had this the wrong way round at the Mad Stad.
Surely be better shooting toward our most noisy vocal support in second half and thus stopping the opposition doing so ?
Guess cos both teams warm up at the ends they do neither can be bothered turning round at the start of the game and hence why we shoot at south first and north second.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jan 2024 08:03

Royal Monkey Always thought we had this the wrong way round at the Mad Stad.
Surely be better shooting toward our most noisy vocal support in second half and thus stopping the opposition doing so ?
Guess cos both teams warm up at the ends they do neither can be bothered turning round at the start of the game and hence why we shoot at south first and north second.

At the time the stadium opened there wasn't an 1871 section and having the away fans in the south stand also dilutes the positive noise for the club so that's why it's always been north stand in the second half. Same at most clubs - the away side is usually kicking towards their support in the second half.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1