MATCHWATCH : Fleetwood Town (a)

186 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Fleetwood Town (a)

by Hound » 14 Feb 2024 06:57

Frustrating way to lose 2 points, was getting a bit carried away looking at the table when they scored that equaliser

Annoyingly scrappy, certainly a hint of offside and we made a horrible meal of what should have been a simple clearance

Still a long away trip on a Tuesday night on a heavy pitch - point isn’t bad - and keeps the run going

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Feb 2024 07:40

I was very happy with a point, but we missed Smith’s hold up play and his ability to bring other players into the game. I’d rather have rested him in the Pompey game which is more of a free hit. Ehib can’t play the loan striker role and it’s a shame we can’t bring in a big lump of a striker on a free. If Smith gets injured for some of the last 14 games I can see us struggling to score goals.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Feb 2024 07:55

I'd have taken a point before kick off, but you should never be happy with it when you're leading in injury time, not enough against Man City.

We must be due a late equaliser or winner of our own this season. What's the latest so far? Vickers v Bolton in the 85th?

rfc8

by rfc8 » 14 Feb 2024 08:11

Another point closer to safety.

Delboy

by Delboy » 14 Feb 2024 08:15

Should have had Dean or Hutchinson on the bench we lacked experience at the end which cost us two points

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2024 08:18

Tbf bringing on Dean to see the game out was hardly successful earlier in the year

That goal from Wing was bloody brilliant from him - from the pass to the finish. Absolute quality

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2024 08:20

WestYorksRoyal I'd have taken a point before kick off, but you should never be happy with it when you're leading in injury time, not enough against Man City.

We must be due a late equaliser or winner of our own this season. What's the latest so far? Vickers v Bolton in the 85th?

Yeah wonder how many points we’ve lost after 85m this season. As you say, don’t think we’ve gained any

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Feb 2024 08:40

Delboy Should have had Dean or Hutchinson on the bench we lacked experience at the end which cost us two points

Because that worked well earlier in the season. You can blame Elliott's clearance or Ehibhatiomhan missing a chance for 2-0, but a howler from the lino has cost us. He was unmarked in the 6 yard box because he was offside, and the lino even has the 6 yard line to help him out - the striker was in front of it, we were behind it. As clear and obvious as you can hope to see. Should absolutely have finished 1-0.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Feb 2024 08:47

WestYorksRoyal
Delboy Should have had Dean or Hutchinson on the bench we lacked experience at the end which cost us two points

Because that worked well earlier in the season. You can blame Elliott's clearance or Ehibhatiomhan missing a chance for 2-0, but a howler from the lino has cost us. He was unmarked in the 6 yard box because he was offside, and the lino even has the 6 yard line to help him out - the striker was in front of it, we were behind it. As clear and obvious as you can hope to see. Should absolutely have finished 1-0.

Can`t help thinking the lino was waiting for the chance to even it up thinking he may have had a howler earlier in the half when the ball may have crossed the line, but two wrongs don`t make a right.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2024 08:51

Hound
WestYorksRoyal I'd have taken a point before kick off, but you should never be happy with it when you're leading in injury time, not enough against Man City.

Yeah wonder how many points we’ve lost after 85m this season. As you say, don’t think we’ve gained any

Well we've lost 3 to Fleetwood alone - 1 at Exeter, 1 at Orient, 2 at Shrewbury. If each of those games had finished with the score as it was as we entered injury time, We'd be 11th on 42 points.

Anyway onto yesterday, draw was fair but it hurts to let in a goal in the last minute that may have been offside. Even if it was, it is our own fault as we had 2 or 3 opportunities to clear it.

Issue started with Monlouis backing off to let the guy run in to the box, moved on to Elliott missing his kick spectacularly and sending it back across the box (you could honestly replay that moment 1000 times and the ball would probably never go back across goal like that ever again), even then I think Wing managed to get a foot on the ball and failed to clear it - disaster all round really from a lot of tired or inexperienced players.

Worth noting that of the XI that finished the game - only 3 were over 22 (one of those being the keeper), 2 were making their debut with another 2 in their first season as a first team regular. Gven the conditions (boggy pitch really seemed to impact us more than them) and the inexperience it isn't surprising that it all went a bit panic stations at the end.

Unless I'm mistaken that is the first time we've lost a lead since the Barnsley game on the 9th December and despite the pressure, we didn't really look like conceding until that last melee despite the panic.

Also weren't helped by Dorsett's early injury, meant Abrefa had to come on much earlier that would have been the plan (again esp on a pitch like that), given he is finding his way back to fitness. The knock on of that was that we had to replace him as he was absolutely done in, so Monlouis was in a position to have to come on as the only defender left on the bench - though could have brought Rushesha on instead.

So yeah, I think circumstance and conditions had a direct influence on letting in the late goal - although we probably should have been 2 up by then and out of sight - thats life, we move on and see what we can get out of the game at the weekend.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Feb 2024 09:00

The reaction to last night is the key really. If we see our early season fragility return then we could look back on it as a turning point. But if we shake it off, it'll go in the "meh" column.

Pompey away means we're probably looking at 1 point from 2 games, but after that we have 4 big fixtures where WWWW should be the target.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Feb 2024 09:04

scumbag
NathStPaul Lot of moaning about nothing.

A point away from home in this division is a good result.

You're a cuñt

Reported.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 14 Feb 2024 09:10

Brogue

+1

+2

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 14 Feb 2024 09:15

NathStPaul
scumbag

You're a cuñt

Reported.

oof uncalled for that, why did he respond to you like that Nath? do you have history?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Feb 2024 09:16

Brogue
NathStPaul
scumbag
You're a cuñt

Reported.

oof uncalled for that, why did he respond to you like that Nath? do you have history?

I have no clue who it is.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 14 Feb 2024 09:19

see this is why i like selles, his post-match interview was all about how we need to play better if we want three points. Previous managers would be complaining about the off-side for the goal or throwing in excuses like injuries. No, he clearly looks pissed off and demands better performances.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 14 Feb 2024 09:19

NathStPaul
Brogue
NathStPaul Reported.

I have no clue who it is.

maybe just living up to his name..

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Feb 2024 09:20

Brogue see this is why i like selles, his post-match interview was all about how we need to play better if we want three points. Previous managers would be complaining about the off-side for the goal or throwing in excuses like injuries. No, he clearly looks pissed off and demands better performances.

Imagine it had happened to Steve Evans

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2024 09:22

Brogue see this is why i like selles, his post-match interview was all about how we need to play better if we want three points. Previous managers would be complaining about the off-side for the goal or throwing in excuses like injuries. No, he clearly looks pissed off and demands better performances.

Yeah 100%. No excuses just what we can do better

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2024 09:30

Stranded
Hound

Well we've lost 3 to Fleetwood alone - 1 at Exeter, 1 at Orient, 2 at Shrewbury. If each of those games had finished with the score as it was as we entered injury time, We'd be 11th on 42 points.

3 at Shrews wasn’t it? So we’d be above Bristol R in 10th I think

186 posts