MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (a)

193 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (a)

by blythspartan » 17 Feb 2024 18:05

One of those games where 4-1 flattered Pompey, but they took their chances. Button should have done better, but I still think overall he’s been decent for us this season. The atmosphere was great until their 2nd goal went in and then it fell flat.

I was chatting to a couple of Pompey fans in a Tesco’s express after the game and tbf they thought we were one of the best teams they’d seen at Fratton Park this season. We had a bit of friendly banter, but it might have been different if they’d not won.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Feb 2024 18:28

Always going to be tough today. Portsmouth showed us a lesson in how to finish. I'm still not convinced by what we have up front but we should still be alright.

Button probably deserves to be dropped after that today. Although I don't think he will be. Portsmouth punished us from our mistakes. On the balance of play we matched them. Not too disheartened, we need 6 points next week though. No ifs no buts. We should be beating Port Vale and Shrewsbury at home.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 17 Feb 2024 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Feb 2024 18:30

Turning into a real dog fight at the bottom, I feel Carlisle are gone and Fleetwood likely to go too for me, a bit worried about Cheltenham, they have improved immensely 3 behind with 2 games in hand.
Port Vale 22nd and Shrewsbury 19th are both must win.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 17 Feb 2024 18:58

Funny reading the comments from the Pompey fans on Twitter you would have thought they had won the Champions League haha MUPPETS

traff

by traff » 17 Feb 2024 19:01

karbota
karbota
The Royal Forester Parky not the manager here yet,

3-0, and thanks to?, again and again, he misses a sitter, Kevin Francis Mk 2!

And Parky wins again!

Isn't that a nickname, a bit disrespectful don't you think?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 17 Feb 2024 19:04

traff
karbota
karbota
3-0, and thanks to?, again and again, he misses a sitter, Kevin Francis Mk 2!

And Parky wins again!

Isn't that a nickname, a bit disrespectful don't you think?

Thanks, Taff I get your point but surely more of an abbreviation?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Feb 2024 19:09

NathStPaul Fear a heavy defeat here.

As predicted...

Jinx

by Jinx » 17 Feb 2024 19:17

NathStPaul

As predicted...

A stopped clock is right twice a day, more often than you

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Feb 2024 19:22

We seem to have had an issue for years with keepers conceding at the near post, going all the way back to Federici who was prone to it, its basic positioning, schoolboy stuff.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 17 Feb 2024 19:23

No shame in losing to the team top of the league.

We will turn this around on Tuesday!

After the last 2 losses, we've gone on 6 game unbeaten runs. So, please no slip ups against the next 6. Though I see Derby and Cambridge being challenges. And the others won't necessarily be easy. Expecting a win against Carlisle, as everyone is beating them. Hoping for 3 points against Port Vale to make up for today.

Last seasons final table was tight. Literally 3 points between 23 & 19th. I'm just wondering if 46 points will be enough this season, and if/when we may make it? 6 from the next 9 would be excellent way to start.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Feb 2024 19:25

Jinx
NathStPaul

As predicted...

A stopped clock is right twice a day, more often than you

Pipe down chump.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Feb 2024 19:33

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz Probably wise :wink: I have a pint lined-up with John Anthony ‘Portsmouth FC’ Westwood tomorrow ….so mein host says :|

Did you keep any weapons from your army days you might use on him?
wasn’t, he’’s a puddy cat.

Oh the bantz at 4-0 down

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 17 Feb 2024 19:44

Nothing to worry about right now. we just played the Champions Elect off the park playing superb fast flowing attacking football for the first 40mins!! We really should and could have been 3-0 up. But that's football and that's why we're down at the bottom and they're up the top.
We missed our chances and they took theirs!!

If we can replicate that 40 min spell of football into some of our remaining games we should be just fine, however, we really need Smith to hit the net again and go on one of those scoring runs of his. Button had a mare, and that happens to keepers.

We really need this take-over to gather pace and get sorted!! Bindon, Wing, Craig and Azeez really are very good players at this level, and some on the football played today was of the best I've seen from a Reading side for a long time. To lose these players would be criminal.

A new owner in place and we can offer new contracts and build around these guys. I really believe that with another half decent striker, a decent goalkeeper and somebody in the mold of Azeez on the left and this team would stroll through this league next season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Feb 2024 20:23

ManchesterRoyals Funny reading the comments from the Pompey fans on Twitter you would have thought they had won the Champions League haha MUPPETS
sat amongst them, they were mighty relieved to survive the first half hour, their manager was very complimentary towards us after the game on one of their local radio stations. They’d been in a scrap.

….and yes, the ball did cross the line (sat pretty much in line with it, the locals called it was across the line)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2024 21:17

windermereROYAL If you`re going to the league leaders your keeper needs to be on top of his game, he wasn`t, appeared to be a half decent performance and 4-1 probably flattered the home side.

There's no probably about it, massively flattered them.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Feb 2024 21:30

Got to I hate Pompey fans with a passion - what a vile fanbase. I support Reading because I grew up there, so perhaps if I'd been born in Portsmouth I'd support them. When you look at it like that, us football fans should all be reasonably alike; we all have a similar love of the game and similar reasons for choosing our team. So how come some teams produce utter cnuts of fans? Why do clubs like Bolton, Vale, WBA and Brighton produce decent fans and clubs like Portsmouth, Millwall and Leeds total bellends?

Though in the interest of balance, we have some pretty detestable fans on the Twittersphere too.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Feb 2024 21:42

They have a whole thread dedicated to us on Portsmouth's Truebluearmy.com

Starting with.....

"What a bunch of bitter and twisted oxf*rd they are.
Well worth a watch.
Some cnut even belittled Pompey as a city when he lives in oxf*rd Reading!
They are really sore losers and frankly it's a fantastic read.
They are each eating lemons!"

And that is one of the nicer comments.......

Nice bunch.....

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 Feb 2024 21:50

WestYorksRoyal Though in the interest of balance, we have some pretty detestable fans on the Twittersphere too.

Let's face it - the twitter spats are our bellend fans who think they are being funny v their bellend fans who think they are being funny. The odds of anyone coming out it with any credit aren't good.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Feb 2024 22:32

Ascotexgunner They have a whole thread dedicated to us on Portsmouth's Truebluearmy.com

Starting with.....

"What a bunch of bitter and twisted oxf*rd they are.
Well worth a watch.
Some cnut even belittled Pompey as a city when he lives in oxf*rd Reading!
They are really sore losers and frankly it's a fantastic read.
They are each eating lemons!"

And that is one of the nicer comments.......

Nice bunch.....
chill, where there’s a Yin, there’s a Yang.

Totally different experience today.

It’s football, there’s bantz, get through it

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Feb 2024 22:50

ftr - ship anson, old custom house, still & west, bridge tavern, wellington (twice), sally port, dolphin, pembroke & home via one of the more life affirming kebab trips ever. Portsmouth is a great away sesh.

The game - 30 minutes of liquid football, then that. Could have been 3-3. That's why they are top. We did't give up, so I think its a teaching point. Selles knows the score wit the fans. Good lad.

193 posts