money on when coppell will leave reading/ Forster to get 15?

294 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 01 Jul 2005 19:47

18urz71 Because Lita said he wants to stay at Bristol City, and Aliaderie is on loan at Celtic. Coppell just can't attract bigger name players to the club like Pardew could. Pardew's era was about ambition and success, whereas Coppell's is about doing things on the cheap, and maintaining where we are.

Which "big name" players did Pardew attract to us since we've been in the Championship (which is the only fair comparison to make)?

Goater? :oops:
Murray? :oops:

Struggling now. Care to help out?

What we could do in "League 1" a few years back is wholly irrelevant now. We were small fish in a big pond then, but now we're relative small fry in with the big boys.

Z-Head
Location: Oh when the red red robin goes bob bob bobing along Shoot the bastard!!!!!!!!

by Z-Head » 01 Jul 2005 20:00

Year 2025 Top man that Coppell and all he created at Reading. :D

Very near...far away

by Very near...far away » 02 Jul 2005 16:10

25th May 2011, after our 2nd Champions League win in a row. When interviewed afterwards he says: "Yeah, y'know 3 in a row would've been nice, but I think it's time to give someone else a go now..."

I'm Mad

by I'm Mad » 02 Jul 2005 16:20

After the way he walked out on Man City after just 33 days in charge; I'm suprised he's lasted this long and have to say that if were to walk out on us tomorrow it would have come about 18 months too late for my liking.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Jul 2005 16:40

He just signed an extension to his contract. He won't be sacked and he won't walk. And exactly WHO is there who is free to take over from him, should he go anyway? Better the devil you know sometimes.

I'm Mad

by I'm Mad » 02 Jul 2005 16:43

Royal Lady He just signed an extension to his contract. He won't be sacked and he won't walk. And exactly WHO is there who is free to take over from him, should he go anyway? Better the devil you know sometimes.
Very true. Madejski wouldn't want to "poach" a manager from another club so to speak after the whole Pardew affair.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 02 Jul 2005 17:43

I really cant believe this.. Im gonna have a moan now... how can you lot do a syndicate when the season has not even started? its all a bit stupid dont you think.. bloody 'ave faith the lot of ya

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2005 17:55

Platypuss
18urz71 Because Lita said he wants to stay at Bristol City, and Aliaderie is on loan at Celtic. Coppell just can't attract bigger name players to the club like Pardew could. Pardew's era was about ambition and success, whereas Coppell's is about doing things on the cheap, and maintaining where we are.

Which "big name" players did Pardew attract to us since we've been in the Championship (which is the only fair comparison to make)?

Goater? :oops:
Murray? :oops:

Struggling now. Care to help out?

What we could do in "League 1" a few years back is wholly irrelevant now. We were small fish in a big pond then, but now we're relative small fry in with the big boys.

Luke Chadwick
Matthew Upson
Steve Sidwell was building a name for himself at this level and that was an ambitious signing.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 02 Jul 2005 17:57

good reply

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 02 Jul 2005 18:05

Sadly doing things on the cheap is likely to mean we won't stay where we are. :cry:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2005 18:20

One other thing for those of you who believe Coppell'll do anything other than sign his old players and will venture into the Premiership to loan good young prospects from top clubs. The young exciting ambitious young fellow we have for a manager has repeatedly said he doesn't see much point in loan signings and there is too much competition from the big bad other Championship clubs for him to be able to loan anyone in. Call his opinions rubbish (and I would), but I expect he'll be sticking to them and won't attempt to sign any Owusu-Abeyie's in the near future.

Who made the better loan signings when they were here? Pardew or Coppell?

Pardew:
Salako, Watson, Hahnemann, Roberts, Upson, Chadwick, Little.

Coppell:
Owusu, Brooker, Gordon.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Jul 2005 18:24

Colin Gordon? Coppell didn't sign him.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2005 18:29

No, Dean Gordon, that energetic young fellow who worked wonders for his old manager again.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Jul 2005 18:59

That manager who had Sidwell on loan at both Brentford and Brighton must have a good eye for talent and is able to get them to join a club on loan. Maybe we should get rid of Coppell and get him in instead?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 02 Jul 2005 19:03

I thought Coppell had admitted it was a mistake not to get involved in the loan market last season.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2005 19:24

Platypuss That manager who had Sidwell on loan at both Brentford and Brighton must have a good eye for talent and is able to get them to join a club on loan. Maybe we should get rid of Coppell and get him in instead?

The same manager who couldn't attract him to sign permanently over Pardew.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2005 19:28

Arch I thought Coppell had admitted it was a mistake not to get involved in the loan market last season.

He said he maybe should have done instead, but then went on complaing about how tough it is to loan players, what with there being 23 other teams in the league. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been like that for a while? Yet you don't see other manager whinging and complaining about what a tough job it is to loan players, they get on with it.

Either way, I don't think we'll be loaning any decent players in the near future.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jul 2005 19:46

Royalee
Platypuss That manager who had Sidwell on loan at both Brentford and Brighton must have a good eye for talent and is able to get them to join a club on loan. Maybe we should get rid of Coppell and get him in instead?

Nice retort.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Jul 2005 19:55

Royal Rother
Royalee

Nice retort.

Reading had the money, Brighton didn't.

You lot of whingers are all t*ssers.
You're all going to look stupid when we're top at Xmas.

wainy

by wainy » 02 Jul 2005 19:57

you must be dreaming gordons cumming

294 posts