Negative Hob Nob Ramblings......

Chicken Balti Pie
Location: Sleep pattern fcuked by watchin the English batsmen struggle....

Negative Hob Nob Ramblings......

by Chicken Balti Pie » 26 Jul 2006 19:28

Here we go again.

Season has not started yet and all I read is...........

Not signed enough players.......
Squad looking thin.....
We're doomed.....

Is it just me or has - since the influx of some newer posters - hobnob returned to the negativeness of post Plymouth (h) 2005 ????

We walked the championship last year and more than competed with two premiership sides with a weakened team. I know both Prem teams went down but they were hardly Sunderlands were they ?

And the injuries seem to be slight and most will be back for the start.

We have the momentum and confidence from last season with the players but not the fans - how come ?

URZ !!!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Jul 2006 19:41

I'm sure we have fans who have predicted nothing but doom and gloom since before our last promotion.

It would seem reasonable to expect them to learn from previous mistakes but the Reading fan can be a strange beast.............from the shoulder up in particular :roll:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 26 Jul 2006 20:18

I'm particularly struck by people who think we're gong to "do a Sunderland" on account of not making enough signings. Last summer, Sunderland signed Kelvin Davies, Tommy Miller, Joe Murphy, Alan Stubbs, Christian Bassila, Andy Gray and a couple of younger players, and they brought in Le Tallec and Hoyte on loan. All these players took part at one time or another in Sunderland's season but few really shone. They destabilised a solid outfit and never gelled.

We're doing exactly the opposite and keeping the essence of our team in tact while deepening our options. Two more signings would be a good thing, but we're a million miles from "doing a Sunderland". I was happy to read the journalist who suggested that the difference between rubbish and mediocre in the Premiership is pace. We have that in spades. I'll take a year of being a mediocre Premiership side gladly.

anR

by anR » 26 Jul 2006 20:37

Arch I'm particularly struck by people who think we're gong to "do a Sunderland" on account of not making enough signings. Last summer, Sunderland signed Kelvin Davies, Tommy Miller, Joe Murphy, Alan Stubbs, Christian Bassila, Andy Gray and a couple of younger players, and they brought in Le Tallec and Hoyte on loan. All these players took part at one time or another in Sunderland's season but few really shone. They destabilised a solid outfit and never gelled.

We're doing exactly the opposite and keeping the essence of our team in tact while deepening our options. Two more signings would be a good thing, but we're a million miles from "doing a Sunderland". I was happy to read the journalist who suggested that the difference between rubbish and mediocre in the Premiership is pace. We have that in spades. I'll take a year of being a mediocre Premiership side gladly.

I get continually fustrated talking to people who imediately suggest that we'll do a Sunderland, when we are doing exactly the opposite of what they did after winning promotion in a less spectacular style than we did. If only they could mull over your words, Arch, before opening their stupid mouths...

iang040563

by iang040563 » 26 Jul 2006 20:57

i wouldn't worry too much .... we will be the underdog all season.
over the years, Reading have not been given time of day by anyone - if you looked in the Sunday papers a year ago we might get four or five lines.
Even last season when we were on our roll, the bookies made Wolves the favourites in our away game at Molineux.
Noone has ever taken Reading seriously and as proved last season, we can work this to our advantage. everyone will be expecting to pick up three points from us, so we will have surprise on our side.
New signings? Steve coppel will come good. yes.
I will be happy to finish up next may fourth from bottom.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 26 Jul 2006 21:13

iang040563 i wouldn't worry too much .... we will be the underdog all season.
over the years, Reading have not been given time of day by anyone - if you looked in the Sunday papers a year ago we might get four or five lines.
Even last season when we were on our roll, the bookies made Wolves the favourites in our away game at Molineux.
Noone has ever taken Reading seriously and as proved last season, we can work this to our advantage. everyone will be expecting to pick up three points from us, so we will have surprise on our side.
New signings? Steve coppel will come good. yes.
I will be happy to finish up next may fourth from bottom.

And get relegated when the Prem is reduced to 18 teams.

:wink:

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 26 Jul 2006 21:23

i think being negative is a problem most Reading fans have, always have and always will. frank frickle wasn't thought up for no reason.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 26 Jul 2006 21:31

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. i think being negative is a problem most Reading fans have, always have and always will. frank frickle wasn't thought up for no reason.

We're not fickle, we just never expect success.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Jul 2006 08:53

I hoping for success.

The better parrallel to be drawn with Sunderland is how they performed the season after they walked the second tier, and how many signings they made then.

if we finish with less than 20 points I'll be amazed. I think we're quite capable of a top 10 finish with a decent start and a good run in.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 27 Jul 2006 09:23

i wouldnt go as far as to say that we're gonna make the top ten, i dont expect to.

but i do think that on the strength of the squad we currently have we've got a decent shout of staying up, 14th-17th will do me happily.

But on the other hand, people who think we're going to make it, just because we made it last season are surely kidding themselves. we can do it but its not a walk in a park just because of the blip that was west ham and wigan last season

It does seem slightly easier for newly promoted clubs to stay up, but it doesnt mean its instantly our right, we will be fighting

HighburyRoyale

by HighburyRoyale » 27 Jul 2006 09:26

wehateoxford
But on the other hand, people who think we're going to make it, just because we made it last season are surely kidding themselves. we can do it but its not a walk in a park just because of the blip that was west ham and wigan last season

It does seem slightly easier for newly promoted clubs to stay up, but it doesnt mean its instantly our right, we will be fighting

Especially because of WH and Wigan last season - I think teams will be more alive to it. I think we'll be ok, but it's so important that the first five games go well, or we'll be screwed by the Spurs game in mid-November....

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 27 Jul 2006 09:33

i think the game that will really set our season up is man utd in september. Generally speaking when you play your first big 5, it gives you a gauge of how you'll do. Wigan had chelsea first day, did alright and it gave them bucketloads of confidence. we need to look for a draw minimum against Utd and i think it'll set us up nicely

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 27 Jul 2006 09:51

wehateoxford we need to look for a draw minimum against Utd and i think it'll set us up nicely

sh*t :shock:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jul 2006 09:54

wehateoxford i think the game that will really set our season up is man utd in september. Generally speaking when you play your first big 5, it gives you a gauge of how you'll do. Wigan had chelsea first day, did alright and it gave them bucketloads of confidence. we need to look for a draw minimum against Utd and i think it'll set us up nicely

Any points against the top 4/5 will be an absolute bonus next year, don't think we can look at any of those games as setting us up. A point against Man Utd will mean nothing if we go to West Ham the week after and get stuffed.

For example, Wolves beat Man Utd 1-0 - didn't stop them getting relegated.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Jul 2006 11:13

Just to clarify, I'm not expecting us to finish top 10, I'm not expecting us to stay up, I'm not expectig it to be easy.

I think we're capable o fiishing top 10, I think we're capable of finishing 20th. with the squad we have and the fixture lsit we have I thik we should stay up. but you've just got to wait and see and enjoy the prem while you can. This could be our one season for the next 135 years. Take the rough with the smooth abd try to have a good time, even when we're losing.

PS we will do that more than 4 times next season.

Harold

by Harold » 27 Jul 2006 11:14

Don't worry too much. Reading have a transfer budget of 10m. They've spent 1.35m so RFC have 8.65 million to spend on players.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 27 Jul 2006 11:16

Harold Don't worry too much. Reading have a transfer budget of 10m. We've spent 1.35m so RFC have 8.65 million to spend on players.

Yeah mate, I bet we spend all of it !

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Jul 2006 11:16

Harold Don't worry too much. Reading have a transfer budget of 10m. We've spent 1.35m so RFC have 8.65 million to spend on players.

Nice to have the money, not much use if no one wants you to spnd it on them... Though we should have an exceedingly good January if this continues and we're outside the bottom 4

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Jul 2006 13:01

Harold Don't worry too much. Reading have a transfer budget of 10m. They've spent 1.35m so RFC have 8.65 million to spend on players.

What is more restricted is the wage budget, rather than the tarnsfer budget. Buying a player is minimal compared to paying that player.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Negative Hob Nob Ramblings......

by floyd__streete » 27 Jul 2006 13:06

Chicken Balti Pie Is it just me or has - since the influx of some newer posters - hobnob returned to the negativeness of post Plymouth (h) 2005 ????

Hob Nob has tested positive for negativity.