Official Swindon -v- RFC thread

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 29 Jul 2006 22:07

Can't see Hartlepool getting that far TBH, unless they draw Oxf*rd, then Sw*ndon. Then of course there is every possibility.

500th Post!! :D

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Jul 2006 22:08

Yeah, was kinda thinkin of visitin Hartlepool as a minor stop on the way to Newcastle.

bassavage

by bassavage » 29 Jul 2006 22:48

handbags_harris Yeah, was kinda thinkin of visitin Hartlepool as a minor stop on the way to Newcastle.

Or in 2 years time when we play Celtic in the Champions League :D

bassavage

by bassavage » 29 Jul 2006 22:49

Swindon are best I'm laughing just reading these replies, especially the one linking 'Reading fans' and 'atmosphere' :shock:

Enjoy your day did you?

I laugh when I hear 'Swindon' and 'fans' in the same sentence.

bassavage

by bassavage » 29 Jul 2006 22:50

Row Z Royal
Swindon are best
Farnborough Royal
Swindon are best I'm laughing just reading these replies, especially the one linking 'Reading fans' and 'atmosphere' :shock:

Enjoy your day did you?

JeaLOLousy :lol:

... I've never heard of 'jealolousy'; is this an inbred term used only in the Reading area?

Do you work for Honda?

No he works on his farm.

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 29 Jul 2006 23:37

Swindon are best wrote:
I'm laughing just reading these replies, especially the one linking 'Reading fans' and 'atmosphere'

Enjoy your day did you?

By the way, how's your mum ???

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 30 Jul 2006 00:02

Bill Oddie Swindon are best wrote:
I'm laughing just reading these replies, especially the one linking 'Reading fans' and 'atmosphere'

Enjoy your day did you?

By the way, how's your mum ???

Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie, he's rubbed his beard on your mums body

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 30 Jul 2006 00:11

LOL @ some of the Swindon chants today.

"Is that all you take away." :shock: :lol:

Songs about Elm Park and as somebody's already mentioned singing "That's why you're going down".

Mugs.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 30 Jul 2006 00:18

Swindon...

"Your bird's outside and she's charging a quid!"

Reading

"Your mother's outside and she's charging fcuk all!"

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 30 Jul 2006 00:30

Thought the best atmosphere was down in the concourse before the game, TBH.

Redroyal

by Redroyal » 30 Jul 2006 00:45

Have to say I agree, Cox ws awful! I didn't recognice him with hairand was sat in the Swindon side as I watched the game with a work mate from Swindon and left it too late to get Reading end tickets. The fans around were of the opinion that our second and youth strings should beat them too.. Well we very nearly did!! WHo was the other centre back? Osano? Wan't partuicularly impressed with him early doors, a lot of his passing went astray but he looked better later and Goldbourne was a much better left back than left half, put in some lovely crosses!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Jul 2006 01:29

Swindon are best I'm laughing just reading these replies :shock:

Given that Swindon fans have had so very little to laugh about in recent times, I hope all Reading supporters can find it in their hearts to make allowances for neighbours who have fallen on hard times.

Or not, as the case may be.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jul 2006 03:19

Went drinking with a swindon and hull fan tonight. Both confirmed they were impressed with how swindon played against us, but thought hayes quite frankly took the piss outta their right back, and thought he was class.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Jul 2006 10:29

FiNeRaIn Went drinking with a swindon and hull fan tonight. Both confirmed they were impressed with how swindon played against us, but thought hayes quite frankly took the piss outta their right back, and thought he was class.

A very good point - I thought he looked quality yesterday and I think we should loan him to a Championship side if possible this season - I thought he looked alright in some of the friendlies last year too.

Cox will NEVER make it - he gets drawn into scuffles over nothing, is lightweight, can't anticipate or pass the ball properly and when he went off we really dominated the midfield a lot more. For those who say he was playing out of position, I think he's looked very poor up front as well. Fair play to him, he tries, but he's just not good enough I'm afraid.

On a positive note, Pearce looked absolute quality for a 17 year old and with the exception of one or two midjudgements of the wind, he looked solid and capable or playing a part this season. I still think we need another centre back in the mean time, but his performance was very encouraging indeed and I think he'll be pushing for a starting place before long.

...According to BBCRB on the way home, the penalty was retaken because Oster encroched - summed him up really, he was toilet. I can't see him getting much of a look-in this season though and I'm very pleased we have Seol in front of him now as well as Little.

bassavage

by bassavage » 30 Jul 2006 10:32

How many Reading fans did you say there were? 1000-1500?

The official attendance was 5,160. That means there were only about 3500-4000 Swindon fans there. That's an embarrasment, especially against your closest PREMIERSHIP club.

reading_lad

by reading_lad » 30 Jul 2006 10:33

"you only need two stands, you only need two stands"

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 30 Jul 2006 10:35

Royalee Cox will NEVER make it - he gets drawn into scuffles over nothing, is lightweight, can't anticipate or pass the ball properly and when he went off we really dominated the midfield a lot more. For those who say he was playing out of position, I think he's looked very poor up front as well. Fair play to him, he tries, but he's just not good enough I'm afraid.

I seem to remember people making the same sort of comments (except the lightweight bit) about a certain Mr Henderson...........

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Jul 2006 10:36

bassavage How many Reading fans did you say there were? 1000-1500?

The official attendance was 5,160. That means there were only about 3500-4000 Swindon fans there. That's an embarrasment, especially against your closest PREMIERSHIP club.

Yeah, it was around that judging by how full up it was and that the stewards had to move our fans into more seats further forward and also to the side (judging by the stewarding and policing, Swindon weren't expecting half as many of us as turned up). Poor attendance from Swindon fans, but then again it was a friendly and they've got a very poor team compared to what they had just over a decade ago and times change.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Jul 2006 10:39

Avon Royal
Royalee Cox will NEVER make it - he gets drawn into scuffles over nothing, is lightweight, can't anticipate or pass the ball properly and when he went off we really dominated the midfield a lot more. For those who say he was playing out of position, I think he's looked very poor up front as well. Fair play to him, he tries, but he's just not good enough I'm afraid.

I seem to remember people making the same sort of comments (except the lightweight bit) about a certain Mr Henderson...........

Not me, I rated Henderson and he was strong from a young age and always looked dangerous and like scoring. Cox on the other hand looks completely out of his depth every time I see him play. I have a mate who plays at semi pro level and has played against Cox - he said he couldn't believe it when I told him Cox was getting some games and burst out laughing. I think that sums it up really, he isn't good enough.

I'd be interested to see how people on here rate Cox up against Hayes and Pearce and also take into account that players like Pearce are two or three years older than Cox but evidently streets ahead of him in terms of class.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 30 Jul 2006 10:47

Cox is 18 (maybe 19) Royalee, and by all accounts was playing in midfield. I don't see the need for having a go at one of our young players in a friendly :? But there we go.

Sadly I couldn't make the game yesterday but pleased to hear about Pearce. I saw him a couple of times for the reserves last year and he looked the part even then. He looks a quality defender.

For me so far pre season (Northampton apart) has been a bit disappoitning so far, too many injuries, not enough senior players playing and in a way showing the how fragile the squad is.

The positives from it though is the likes of Pearce, Hayes, Cox, Osano etc getting used to playing in a Reading first team.