oster??

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Aug 2006 10:09

Wycombe Royal
Hoop Blah It might just give you an insight into how he rates the two players though, considering Glen was an automatic choice to start even when he wasn't 100% fit. Do you not agree?

Convey wasn't first choice at left wing in his first season with us, but started last season as first choice.

Things change and just because Glen was automatic first choice last season doesn't mean he will this season. The way he, Oster and Seol perform pre-season will have a huge bearing on that.

Agreed, and I've also said Oster can mount a challenge for the first team at any stage, it's just that it's more than likely that he'll be 3rd choice at the moment which is the point that Woodcote seems so offended by.

The Convey example is very apt, especially in reference to it being Osters second season. The only difference with Convey though is that we sold the player who was keeping him out of the team (Andy Hughes god bless him). In Osters case we've bought in a new record signing to add competition in addition to that which kept him out the previous season.

I'm still of the opinion that Oster will play his part, even if that doesn't mean playing much Premiership football.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Aug 2006 11:45

Hoop Blah
Wycombe Royal
Hoop Blah It might just give you an insight into how he rates the two players though, considering Glen was an automatic choice to start even when he wasn't 100% fit. Do you not agree?

Convey wasn't first choice at left wing in his first season with us, but started last season as first choice.

Things change and just because Glen was automatic first choice last season doesn't mean he will this season. The way he, Oster and Seol perform pre-season will have a huge bearing on that.

Agreed, and I've also said Oster can mount a challenge for the first team at any stage, it's just that it's more than likely that he'll be 3rd choice at the moment which is the point that Woodcote seems so offended by.

Thank you, Wycombe.

I'm not offended by the remarks about Oster being 3rd choice, I just don't agree that this is where he stands before a ball has been kicked in the new season or, that he would have agreed to stay in those circumstances................anyone who agrees with Wycombe's point surely also agrees that Oster might yet start against 'Borough.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Aug 2006 13:37

Woodcote Royal Thank you, Wycombe.

I'm not offended by the remarks about Oster being 3rd choice, I just don't agree that this is where he stands before a ball has been kicked in the new season or, that he would have agreed to stay in those circumstances................anyone who agrees with Wycombe's point surely also agrees that Oster might yet start against 'Borough.

I've always agreed that he can mount a challenge, I just think it's where he stands, and the selections the manager made last season would suggest he is still there currently. That doesn't mean that he won't start against 'Boro though.

The two points aren't the same thing though, and you're arguement is that you don't think Oster is third choice, which he most likely is due to the way he has played for Reading under Steve Coppell so far. You're stance in this thread and others, was that people are being negative by giving realistic opinons on our players and that Oster was not third choice. Realistically I still believe that he is, although this is purely opinion and obvioulsy not fact.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Aug 2006 17:21

Hoop Blah you're arguement is that you don't think Oster is third choice, which he most likely is due to the way he has played for Reading under Steve Coppell so far

If you were manager of RFC it's quite clear that Oster would be 3rd choice but , thankfully, that is not the case and we haven't wasted a years wages on a player who might not get a game for the reserves.

Perhaps you should try to seperated how you feel that Oster has played under Steve Coppell from how the manager might view those same performances.

Coppell hates dead wood in his squads and has said so many times. 3rd choice is dead wood for a man who likes to work with small numbers and I don't believe Oster would be here if his manager had as low opinion of him as yourself.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Aug 2006 17:36

Woodcote Royal
Hoop Blah you're arguement is that you don't think Oster is third choice, which he most likely is due to the way he has played for Reading under Steve Coppell so far

If you were manager of RFC it's quite clear that Oster would be 3rd choice but , thankfully, that is not the case and we haven't wasted a years wages on a player who might not get a game for the reserves.

Perhaps you should try to seperated how you feel that Oster has played under Steve Coppell from how the manager might view those same performances.

Coppell hates dead wood in his squads and has said so many times. 3rd choice is dead wood for a man who likes to work with small numbers and I don't believe Oster would be here if his manager had as low opinion of him as yourself.

I don't have a low opinion of him, I just think we have two players that on current form would get in the side before him in any position. He is though a valuable member of our squad because we will not always have every player available, nor will we always choose to play our strongest XI.

If you think Coppell doesn't want "dead wood" in the squad, why has he got Murty, Shorey, Halls, Makin and Golbourne as full backs and Hunt, Oster, Convey, Little and Seol as wingers? Somewhere along the line somebody is third choice.

Personally I think they are all useful squad players and will play their part in some way, even if they are one of three players competing for the same position.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Aug 2006 19:04

Hoop Blah
Woodcote Royal

I don't have a low opinion of him, I just think we have two players that on current form would get in the side before him in any position. He is though a valuable member of our squad because we will not always have every player available, nor will we always choose to play our strongest XI.

If you think Coppell doesn't want "dead wood" in the squad, why has he got Murty, Shorey, Halls, Makin and Golbourne as full backs and Hunt, Oster, Convey, Little and Seol as wingers? Somewhere along the line somebody is third choice.

Personally I think they are all useful squad players and will play their part in some way, even if they are one of three players competing for the same position.

What current form :?

Who looked up to par at Didcot :?

I really would have thought that it was obvious that Goldbourne has been bought for the future whilst Hunt and Seol play more than one position....................it would also appear that Halls has not lived up to expectations and this may have something to do with Makin being retained.

Coppell likes everyone to feel involved and keeping a senior player like Oster as 3rd choice would be seen as pointless

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 03 Aug 2006 19:24

Woodcote Royal

WR's first mega hypocritical pre season post. How many times in the past was the fact that Coppell sees the players every day in training used as an argument against your all too frequent blinkered thoughts on your pet hate(s) of the week/month/season? And how many times did you accept it as a valid point. Never!

FWIW I quite like what I've seen of Oster to date but I have to agree he would be behind Blakey on past performance and Seoul on what little I've seen of him.

It might not suit Johhny O to be 3rd choice but you can bet your sweet arse it suits SC for the reasons stated in previous posts i.e. a paper thin squad at the moment in terms of Premiership standard.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Aug 2006 19:31

ayjaydee
WR's first mega hypocritical pre season post. How many times in the past was the fact that Coppell sees the players every day in training used as an argument against your all too frequent blinkered thoughts on your pet hate(s) of the week/month/season? And how many times did you accept it as a valid point. Never!

There's been nothing other than training and meaningless friendlies since May and Little hasn't played a serious match for even longer.......................

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 Aug 2006 19:35

But all players know that when they sign that the other players are likely to be fit, Oster will know he is down the pecking order, and has accepted a one year contract, he will hope to get his chance, and will also know that should he be playing well then there is always a chance for him to move up the pecking order.

However as it starts he will be a bit further down, I have said in the past that I would prefer one chance to play against the big boys than ply it against inferior teams lower down, this is The Prem now, we are not talking bout div1 or the championship, that is all history.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

Re: oster??

by Z175 » 12 Jan 2011 18:19

Will he make the first 11 for Doncaster?

So far Andre Bikey, Nicky Shorey and Khalifa Cisse have turned up only to stick to the away bench this season. Is Ryan Bertrand going to be the only ex-Royal to play at the Madejski?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Jan 2011 18:22

Z175 Will he make the first 11 for Doncaster?

So far Andre Bikey, Nicky Shorey and Khalifa Cisse have turned up only to stick to the away bench this season. Is Ryan Bertrand going to be the only ex-Royal to play at the Madejski?

Oster played when Doncaster came to the Madstad tho!!!

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 12 Jan 2011 18:35

Shorey is at Fulham.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 12 Jan 2011 18:39

roadrunner

Shorey is at Fulham.

You sure? Or am I due a whoosh?

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 12 Jan 2011 19:08

Who Moved The Goalposts?
roadrunner

Shorey is at Fulham.

You sure? Or am I due a whoosh?

My apologies. Was he on loan there last season? Now at West Brom.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Jan 2011 19:08

:roll: Shorey is at WBA and was on the bench, with Cox, last week. Get a grip Jay.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 12 Jan 2011 22:05

Mate, you're more than welcome to turn up at the Madejski this weekend. I'll be happy at the Keepmoat...

...and as previously stated, Oster started for Doncaster at the Madejski back in October.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 12 Jan 2011 22:17

roadrunner

Shorey is at Fulham.

Just wait 'til Portsmouth come here - the place'll be full of ex-Royals. If Kitson's not suspended, Sonko not injured, Ashdown not dropped or Halford not ... indisposed.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 13 Jan 2011 00:37

If we draw Wolves in the Cup if we make it through.. that'll be a treat..

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 13 Jan 2011 12:48

Oster must find it odd getting cheered and applauded by Reading fans when his name is read out as part of the opposing team.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Jan 2011 14:19

Ah, i see - roadrunner is Jay!!!