Worst ever Reading Player

205 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Worst ever Reading Player

by John Smith » 20 Oct 2017 13:55

If you like your central defenders to be the type to give away a penalty every game, have little to no concentration span and the technical ability of a toddler then Ibrahima Sonko is your man. Awful, awful footballer.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 20 Oct 2017 13:59

John Smith If you like your central defenders to be the type to give away a penalty every game, have little to no concentration span and the technical ability of a toddler then Ibrahima Sonko is your man. Awful, awful footballer.

The thing is, whilst playing along side Ivar, Sonks didn't need to be a great footballer and I don't think he ever claimed to be. What he was was an immense athlete and a fearless defender. Ivar was a better footballer so the two complimented each other massively, hence our success when they were both in their prime. To mention Sonks as 'Our worst ever player' is ludicrous.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Oct 2017 13:59

John Smith If you like your central defenders to be the type to give away a penalty every game, have little to no concentration span and the technical ability of a toddler then Ibrahima Sonko is your man. Awful, awful footballer.

Ah, it was a joke. I get it now.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 20 Oct 2017 14:22

Norfolk Royal Home attendances from 1971/2 are interesting (well nearly) and the fluctuation which characterises our traditionally fickle support.
Look at the crowd against Barrow at home, although I suspect there was some sort of deal for Arsenal tickets attached to it. The Barrow players must have got stage fright. The large attendance away to Aldershot but the home attendance being half that. Assume most of our fans went to Aldershot but hardly any of theirs came to ours.

Indeed the Barrow programme had a voucher for an Arsenal ticket. Aldershot away was the first time we'd played them in the league for years, lovely sunny day; by the time of the return we'd just beaten them at home in the Cup so less interest.

Also note the five figure crowds as we do double over Brentford. First two thirds of the season wasn't bad ...

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 20 Oct 2017 15:30

West Stand Man Those who cite Ollie Kearns in this list clearly never really saw him. His RFC record was pretty good even though he didn't look like a footballer. He was one of those players who could have scored a hat trick per game and the boo boys would still have knocked him.

Matt Robinson is also misplaced here. When he came in we were in dire need of a left footed full back (actually, any left footed player at all) and he made a really positive impact.

I assume the addition of Sonko was a silly attempt at a joke?

I saw Ollie in nearly all his home games and some away and I cited him. Admittedly it was more in jest really as I liked him. You're right his scoring record was pretty good but paradoxically did not look like much of a footballer and sometimes didn't play like one either, spectacularly so on several occasions. Don't recall boo boys getting on his back. He was liked but in a sort of 'Oh my word look what Ollie just did' sort of way, usually accompanied by head shaking and rolling eyes.

205 posts