What the papers say - Burnley Washout

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 07 Jan 2007 12:39

To be honest, considering that the match simply going to delayed for 30 minutes rather than abandoned, up until they point they recieved a weather forecast I can understand that they really wanted to match to be played.. but it eventually became basically impossible.

Did anyone see how high the flood run-off was outside the ground? Only about 5 feet away from the road height :shock:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Jan 2007 14:26

Dirk Gently Incidentally, we've been criticised before by the same Burnley website - the guy who runs it has an violent and irrational dislike of Reading and everything we do, so he'll always post negative things whatever happens.

Tony Scholes is his name, isn't it? Moaned about the price of the pies last time IIRC. If you want third world prices, stay in oxf*rd Pendle, you bitter little gobshite.

I'd also just like to point out that the 2 times I've been to Turf Moor (95 and last season), both games were under threat from the weather and each time, the officials at Burnley were oxf*rd clueless and couldn't tell us a thing. Maybe Mr Scholes should take a closer look at his own club before deeming it necessary to criticise others.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Jan 2007 14:37

That's him. I'd seriously advise everyone to take whatever he says with a pinch of salt - he's certainly not what anyone could call an objective observer.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Jan 2007 14:39

I think his problem last time was the differential in ticket prices for members and non members, totally ignoring the fact that our prices were much lower than other clubs anyway.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Jan 2007 14:40

Dirk Gently
2 world wars, 1 world cup I'd be upset if I was him.

How is it that fans in the ground were the last to know? Not professional enough.

Why? What difference did the extra 15 minutes make to you?

Ever thought they might have spent the time warning stewards, car park people, busses etc? Everyone suddenly leaving at 2.30 whilst lots were still on their way in might have caused even more chaos.

I see your point.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 07 Jan 2007 14:45

Technically, it seems there were minutes between the fans finding out and the media finding out.

I guess if they's only known 10 minutes earlier they wouldn't have bothered making the trip!? :roll:

As for abandoned/postponed, the use of the word abandoned, although not the common description for a postponement, was correct.

Having seen the rain, we abandoned the match, not the fixture. The fixture was postponed.

Who cares anyway, at least they got away from their Northern Slums for a few hours.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Jan 2007 14:49

Black Basque & Suspen
Gordon Cumming's right ho It may be seen as being culpable for a crime but I was thinking this morning that it would be a great gesture of goodwill if RFC was prepared to pay for Burnley's supporters coaches on Tuesday. It would only cost a couple of grand tops....

Readings policy on transport is very clear, they will not pay to help their own fans out, why should they pay for Burnleys. :?:
I understand STAR have insurance to cover tickets for abandoned/postponed matches, If the Burnley supproters club have this too then the fans should not be out of pocket regarding travel costs. If they don't have it, perhaps they should consider it!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Jan 2007 14:50

Dirk Gently In fact, if RFC arranged for a hooker to go round and fellate him every morning he'd probably post on his website that she wasn't attractive enough.
or the wrong gender?

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 07 Jan 2007 14:58

Forbury Lion
Black Basque & Suspen
Gordon Cumming's right ho It may be seen as being culpable for a crime but I was thinking this morning that it would be a great gesture of goodwill if RFC was prepared to pay for Burnley's supporters coaches on Tuesday. It would only cost a couple of grand tops....

Readings policy on transport is very clear, they will not pay to help their own fans out, why should they pay for Burnleys. :?:
I understand STAR have insurance to cover tickets for abandoned/postponed matches, If the Burnley supproters club have this too then the fans should not be out of pocket regarding travel costs. If they don't have it, perhaps they should consider it!

STAR do have Late cancellation of matches insurance, this effectively means that the fans who travel to games by STAR coach do not have to pay again. It does not extend to match tickets, only travel.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Jan 2007 15:01

STAR TRAVEL
Forbury Lion
Black Basque & Suspen

STAR do have Late cancellation of matches insurance, this effectively means that the fans who travel to games by STAR coach do not have to pay again. It does not extend to match tickets, only travel.
I was refering to coach tickets, but I can see why it might have been unclear!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 07 Jan 2007 15:39

I'm not quite sure what Reading FC did wrong here. The club can't announce anything until the ref calls the game off because there isn't really anything to announce. Unless there was a long delay between the game being called off and it being announced that it was off, what else could the club have done?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Jan 2007 16:09

Dirk Gently Anyone who came on an official coach from Burnley will not be out of pocket - because they are covered by the FSF's insurance scheme to cover exactly this sort of eventuality.

Incidentally, we've been criticised before by the same Burnley website - the guy who runs it has an violent and irrational dislike of Reading and everything we do, so he'll always post negative things whatever happens.

In fact, if RFC arranged for a hooker to go round and fellate him every morning he'd probably post on his website that she wasn't attractive enough.

You mean Alistair Campbell's got a bit of spare time on his hands nowadays?

Blair spin doctor to football fans' website - how the mighty have fallen!

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 07 Jan 2007 16:31

There were complaints on 606 from Burnley supporters that tickets were still being sold at 2.50 with no warning that there was a good chance the match wasn't going ahead. The ticket office then refused them a refund saying that they had to apply to Burnley.
I heard on the bus that the match had been called off, called my mate already in the ground but he'd heard nothing and while I was on the phone to him I heard the announcement over the tannoy. So, I managed to stay on the bus and avoid getting even more wet.

noise

by noise » 07 Jan 2007 17:06

Rev Algenon Stickleback H I'm not quite sure what Reading FC did wrong here. The club can't announce anything until the ref calls the game off because there isn't really anything to announce. Unless there was a long delay between the game being called off and it being announced that it was off, what else could the club have done?

read minds

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Jan 2007 09:21

M4 Junction 11
Billy The Fish this club are still very much non-league with their approach.

It's difficult to deny that Reading FC got this wrong and need to learn from their mistakes.

So lets get this straight, the referee made the decisions, and it is Reading's fault that he did so?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Jan 2007 09:27

Reading FC ( Lack of communication ) Shocker!!!!!!!!!!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Jan 2007 10:04

I wasn't there, but I would hazard a guess that as soon as the decision was final and official it was communicated. The media however guessed from the body language of the officials on the pitch (that is my interpretation from listening to events unfold on the radio).

RobRoyale

by RobRoyale » 08 Jan 2007 10:22

The body language of the officials was a give away. I had guessed the game wasn't going to take place before it was announced.

Then when the burnley team came out and appluaded their fans I was convinced it wasn't going to take place.

Then when Marcus, Adam and (i think) Leroy came out to clap us I knew for sure.

Then the announcements happened and I left my seat. There were two announcments that I head from the south stand on my way out so I don't see how anyone can say that it was not communicated. AND as stated by someone earlier there was a mention about tickets being valid for the next date.

I think RFC could have told us a bit earlier (maybe three minutes!!) as clearly both teams knew before we did..... but it was all in the space of a few minutes so it was no big deal.

I'm sure they won't be out of pocket for anything. It was unfortunate yes, but not beyond sorting out.

We could always get their chairman to refund the original coach cost by beating them 6-0?!?! .....just imagine ...... oh wait!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Jan 2007 10:40

The Surgeon of Crowthorne There were complaints on 606 from Burnley supporters that tickets were still being sold at 2.50 with no warning that there was a good chance the match wasn't going ahead. The ticket office then refused them a refund saying that they had to apply to Burnley.
I heard on the bus that the match had been called off, called my mate already in the ground but he'd heard nothing and while I was on the phone to him I heard the announcement over the tannoy. So, I managed to stay on the bus and avoid getting even more wet.

No different to what happened to us away at Shef Utd a few seasons ago, when the game got called off just before kick off.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 08 Jan 2007 10:55

Wycombe Royal I wasn't there, but I would hazard a guess that as soon as the decision was final and official it was communicated. The media however guessed from the body language of the officials on the pitch (that is my interpretation from listening to events unfold on the radio).

there were about 2 or 3 minutes between Mick Gooding announcing it on the radio and the stadium announcement

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion though when the burnley players all came out and clapped their support

I'd rather they call it off before it starts than play an hour and then call it off with a couple of injuries and we all have to pay again