Ulises de la Cruz - listen to 5Live later - charitable works

westendgirl

Ulises de la Cruz - listen to 5Live later - charitable works

by westendgirl » 26 Jan 2007 11:29

Just heard an interesting item on FiveLive about his charitable work back in Ecuador. Apparently there will be more on this evening's show between 7 and 10pm
Last edited by westendgirl on 26 Jan 2007 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

G'La

Re: Ulises de la Cruz

by G'La » 26 Jan 2007 11:33

westendgirl Just heard an interesting item on FiveLive about his charitable work back in Ecuador. Apparently there will be more on this evening's show between 7 and 10pm

Im gonna cancel all my wild plans for tonight so I can sit next to my radio for 3hrs so I can catch an informative 10min interview. Cant wait! :wink:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Jan 2007 11:36

can't be bothered with that really got better things to do !

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 26 Jan 2007 11:38

Thanks for the info, a great man and a true Reading Legend.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Jan 2007 11:43

sheshnu Thanks for the info, a great man and a true Reading Legend.

must say he had done well to cover murts and shorey and feel really happy for him to get his goal against sheff united.

3/9/1994

by 3/9/1994 » 26 Jan 2007 11:53

7 starts and 1 goal, and now a legend :shock:

He's done well but please calm down.

Keith Scott started more and scored more not really a legend. :lol:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Ulises de la Cruz

by Forbury Lion » 26 Jan 2007 11:53

G'La
westendgirl Just heard an interesting item on FiveLive about his charitable work back in Ecuador. Apparently there will be more on this evening's show between 7 and 10pm

Im gonna cancel all my wild plans for tonight so I can sit next to my radio for 3hrs so I can catch an informative 10min interview. Cant wait! :wink:
It may clash with the BBC Berks Kevin Doyle interview so I'll have to listen to two BBC radio stations simultaneously, one with each ear.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 26 Jan 2007 11:54

Hilarious!

Corky341

by Corky341 » 26 Jan 2007 11:59

What about his charitable work in and around Reading? To me that's more important.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2007 12:20

Corky341 What about his charitable work in and around Reading? To me that's more important.

Why?

As for him being legend - not quite at the mo. But that goal certainly was legend material. More of the same out of nothing and he'll be up there.

Ollie

by Ollie » 26 Jan 2007 13:24

If you're interested in this, you can hear Sarah Sturdey's report from Ecuador again and read about it by clicking here.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2007 15:56

Ollie If you're interested in this, you can hear Sarah Sturdey's report from Ecuador again and read about it by clicking here.

Thanks Ollie.

I'm sorry but this is amazing - I had no idea.

This should be splashed out across HNA, not just a "have a look if you're interested" type thread.

This guy is defo a legend to me now. How many of us would send a slice of our salary to help out people who "have nothing".

This deserves a proper article on HNA not just a random ignored thread.

WATCH AND LEARN SIDDERS (ET AL)

(westendgirl great post - can you edit the title to be a bit more obvious please?)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Jan 2007 16:00

"The small town of Piquincho, three hours north of the Ecuadorian capital Quito, holds only three thousand inhabitants - but as he grew up, Reading's Ulises De La Cruz was one of them.

By the standards of Piquincho, De La Cruz has gone on to scarcely imaginable wealth with Aston Villa and Reading. But unlike some Premiership stars, he sends a large slice of his monthly wage packet straight home to Ecuadorian charities.

The area around Piquincho has, amazingly, produced more international footballers per square kilometre than anywhere else in the world - five locals played for Ecuador in the last World Cup. But you won't find many other success stories.

"In my country the people don't have anything, and football changed my life," Ulises told our reporter Sarah Sturdey.

"My village needs help in everything: school, water, education, medical centres."

De La Cruz has funded schools and medical centres
In fact, De La Cruz practically bankrolls his local area in the absence of any real government funding, or interest.

Among other things, the money Reading pay him is currently funding a medical centre, plus the salaries of a doctor, dentist and nurse.

The headteacher of the local school says De La Cruz has paid for hundreds of books, a new school roof and playground, and even finances breakfast and lunch for a hundred schoolchildren each day.

De La Cruz learnt his footballing trade on a makeshift pitch of dust and stones. Six years ago fellow international Agustin Delgado set up a football academy in Piquincho, and now De La Cruz is behind a brand new sports and community centre being constructed.

"It's very important for the future of the young people," he says.

You can hear about the work Ulises De La Cruz is doing in Ecuador on BBC Radio Berkshire from 6pm until 7pm on Friday 26 January 2007, then Five Live Sport from 7pm."

Wow, the guy is a complete saint,

much respect to DLC

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 26 Jan 2007 16:01

2 world wars, 1 world cup How many of us would send a slice of our salary to help out people who "have nothing".

I take ALL my salary home and when the other half gets hold of it I have nothing, does that make me a legand??? :wink:

Seriously top work DLC

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 26 Jan 2007 16:07

How large a slice of his wages is it? Things must be cheap in Ecuador.

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 26 Jan 2007 16:18

SpaceCruiser How large a slice of his wages is it? Things must be cheap in Ecuador.

If it's so cheap, Spacey, why don't YOU pay the wages of an ecuadorian doctor, dentist & nurse?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 26 Jan 2007 16:21

el_presidente
SpaceCruiser How large a slice of his wages is it? Things must be cheap in Ecuador.

"Among other things, the money Reading pay him is currently funding a medical centre, plus the salaries of a doctor, dentist and nurse."

why don't you sponsor a ecuadorian doctor, dentist & nurse if it's so cheap?

I don't earn thousands of pounds a week. I meant in terms of buildings compared to the cost here. De La Cruz can't be earning much more than £8K-12K a week?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Jan 2007 16:21

brendywendy The area around Piquincho has, amazingly, produced more international footballers per square kilometre than anywhere else in the world
Brian McDermot should cite that as a reason for an all expenses paid trip to Equador.

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 26 Jan 2007 17:44

SpaceCruiser
el_presidente

"Among other things, the money Reading pay him is currently funding a medical centre, plus the salaries of a doctor, dentist and nurse."

why don't you sponsor a ecuadorian doctor, dentist & nurse if it's so cheap?

I don't earn thousands of pounds a week. I meant in terms of buildings compared to the cost here. De La Cruz can't be earning much more than £8K-12K a week?

According to 5 LIVE he earns 50k per month and sends a percentage of it to charity regularly.

Cookie

by Cookie » 26 Jan 2007 21:08

De La Cruz has funded schools and medical centres
In fact, De La Cruz practically bankrolls his local area in the absence of any real government funding, or interest.

Among other things, the money Reading pay him is currently funding a medical centre, plus the salaries of a doctor, dentist and nurse.

Legend huh, he's bigger than that. Pound for pound he's a bigger man than Abramovich.