Should they stay or should they go?

rotherwick_royal

Should they stay or should they go?

by rotherwick_royal » 10 Apr 2007 14:59

I think the team selection against Charlton was an indicator as to how the rest of the season will be played. It looks like Sir Steve is going to give everyone a chance to prove themselves ahead of the Summer, so we could see more squad rotation than before.

Given that in most positions we would have to sell before buying how many of these players do you think will still be playing for us next season?

Bikey - definitely improved over the season, but improved enough to buy? I'm not so sure, I guess it would depend on the asking price.

Halls - Was going to leave him out as I didn't think he'd be playing before the end of the season but he's back in the reserves apparently. Has a hell of a lot to prove and not much time. Could be on his way if anyone comes in with an offer.

Sodje - not had much chance to impress here but seems to be doing well at WBA who are apparently keen on keeping him. As we've got cover in numbers in this position it might be good business to sell or do a swap deal.

DLC - I think he's done ok. It would be harsh on him to be sold but how many right backs do we need?

Gunnarson - Deserves to have played more games than he has and surely will not be sold.

Oster - Has stated he would consider a move to be able to play more first team football. Would be sad to see him go but can see it happening.

Seol - Doesn't seem to have the right mentality for this club. Think he could be sold if we get a reasonable offer.

Long - Really can't see us selling Shane, but I don't think he's ready for the Prem either. Season long loan to a Championship side would be ideal.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the youngsters on loan (Golbourne, Cox, Hayes, Henry) were to make the move permanent too.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Should they stay or should they go?

by 1871 Royal » 10 Apr 2007 15:04

Bikey - Yes. Get his signature. Will become the next sonko.

Halls - Can't really say.

Sodje - Same as above

DLC - I would say no. Halford looks good cover for murty.

Gunnarsson - Signed a new contract so yes. Very good player IMO

Oster - Yes. Maybe off in January though

Seol - No. Can't see him staying. Although he did have a better 2nd half last night.

Long - Yes. Looks very promising for the future.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Apr 2007 15:06

rotherwick_royal I think the team selection against Charlton was an indicator as to how the rest of the season will be played. It looks like Sir Steve is going to give everyone a chance to prove themselves ahead of the Summer, so we could see more squad rotation than before.

Given that in most positions we would have to sell before buying how many of these players do you think will still be playing for us next season?

Bikey - definitely improved over the season, but improved enough to buy? I'm not so sure, I guess it would depend on the asking price.

BUY HIM

Halls - Was going to leave him out as I didn't think he'd be playing before the end of the season but he's back in the reserves apparently. Has a hell of a lot to prove and not much time. Could be on his way if anyone comes in with an offer.

SELL HIM

Sodje - not had much chance to impress here but seems to be doing well at WBA who are apparently keen on keeping him. As we've got cover in numbers in this position it might be good business to sell or do a swap deal.

Hmmm, keep him out on loan, and see how he does
???
DONT KNOW

DLC - I think he's done ok. It would be harsh on him to be sold but how many right backs do we need?

we do need left back cover and he is pretty two footed
KEEP HIM

Gunnarson - Deserves to have played more games than he has and surely will not be sold.
MAKE HIM THE HEART OF NEXT YEARS MIDFIELD

Oster - Has stated he would consider a move to be able to play more first team football. Would be sad to see him go but can see it happening.

KEEP HIM/SELL HIM DONT CARE

Seol - Doesn't seem to have the right mentality for this club. Think he could be sold if we get a reasonable offer.

KEEP HIM

Long - Really can't see us selling Shane, but I don't think he's ready for the Prem either. Season long loan to a Championship side would be ideal.

LOAN HIM

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the youngsters on loan (Golbourne, Cox, Hayes, Henry) were to make the move permanent too.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Last edited by brendywendy on 10 Apr 2007 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Apr 2007 15:07

Keep - definite potential there, Sonks Mark II in the making, with potential in midfield too.

Or even if no-one comes in with an offer! I suspect SC has given up on him.

Agreed, but it depends on costs - suspect he was a stop-gap (or maybe right- back cover) but is now behind Alan Bennett in the pecking order.

Keep - he's cheap and has done more than expected of him.

Keep - a sorely under-used nugget.

Think it's time to move on - I was singularly unimpressed on Saturday. he doesn't seem to think quickly enough for this level.

Hmmmmm. He was only bought because he was available, so I suspect SC will be happy to let him go if the money is right. Having said that, he's cheap and the shirt-sales in Korea will pay his wages.

Agree completely - great potential but needs a run in a team to gain the necessary experience.

riverroyal

by riverroyal » 10 Apr 2007 15:14

Bikey - Definately keep. The more he plays the better he gets. Much better than Duberry.

Halls - Get rid of him, has been a waste of time.

Sodje - Keep. havent seen much of him but has done well for WBA, so he must be useful as a squad player.

DLC - Done ok but with Halford now here, i think he will leave.

Gunnarson - Keep. Class player.

Oster - let him go. understandably he's frustrated not playing and wont really get a regular look in.

Seol - Keep. form is up and down but definately worth having in the squad

Long - Keep. one for the future. not ready for first team yet, probably fourth behind Lita, Doyle and Kitson in the striker ratings

spike25

by spike25 » 10 Apr 2007 15:24

I thought Seol had a great game last night. Split the defense and got a great shot that I was actually pretty stunned didn't go in. And he worked pretty hard on defense as well. As back and forth as the game was, I was surprised he was still running in the 90th minute, but it shows he was working harder.

If that shot had gone in, he'd have basically won the game on his own, which would mark the third or fourth time he's done that this season (admittedly not in a long while). He has so many skills, I don't understand why everybody rates him so poorly.

As for the rest, I agree with the consensus. Except I don't think quite as highly of Gunnarson as others.

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 10 Apr 2007 15:41

It really depends who is available as a replacement.

If we can get better players in for thier positions then they can all go. The exceptions to these are the youngsters i.e. Long and Bikey who have the potential to get alot better.

But if we were getting better players in than Soel, Oster, Halls, De La Cruz and even Gunnerson I'd not shed too many tears.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Apr 2007 15:51

[quote="spike25"]I thought Seol had a great game last night. Split the defense and got a great shot that I was actually pretty stunned didn't go in. And he worked pretty hard on defense as well. As back and forth as the game was, I was surprised he was still running in the 90th minute, but it shows he was working harder.

If that shot had gone in, he'd have basically won the game on his own, which would mark the third or fourth time he's done that this season (admittedly not in a long while). He has so many skills, I don't understand why everybody rates him so poorly.

As for the rest, I agree with the consensus. Except I don't think quite as highly of Gunnarson as others.[/quote]

why not??!

every time he has been used in the last two seasons he has played a blinder, scored some fantastic goals(looping header last season??)
and works fantastically hard, keeps the ball, passes the ball and shoots the ball far better than sidwell, and tackles just as well.

as for seol, he has been lacking something, but his work rate was upp alot last night, he was working back to help out DLC, much improved, and more like the seol of the 1st 1/3 of the season
give him a chance to improve, as it looks as though he is slowly coming to terms with what is required[/b]

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Apr 2007 16:08

Personally I think De La Cruz is an excellent RB. He is a strong runner, gets forward and is very strong in the challenge. He is the best cover for Murty that we got right now. I really think we should keep him if we can and if he'll stay. I actually think he is almost the first choice RB.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Apr 2007 16:09

I would have Oster over Seol. For me Oster is the better player.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Apr 2007 16:10

Bikey, we should definitely keep. If Sonko's rise is anything to go by then Bikey will be the best Centre Back at the club this time next year. He has huge potential.

I would pay up to £2.5 Million for Bikey.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Apr 2007 16:12

Long is getting better with every game he plays. He is only a young lad but has enormous potential. I would definitely keep him.......

Sodje, I would release. No point. He's not good enough!

Gunnarsson, defintely keep. Great goalscorer. Great utility player. Could be Sidwells replacement for a season. I don't think we would go too far wrong if he was. Also Halford might be Sids replacement as well.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Apr 2007 16:14

Halls, I just haven't really seen him play in a Reading shirt so its unfair to comment. Let him get back from injury and give him a chance to prove himself. I will reserve judgement on Halls. Its unfair to judge someone who hasn't had a chance due to injury!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 10 Apr 2007 16:16

Bikey - Keep. At £1.5million he's worth a punt, and will get better with age, and has the added versatility.

Halls - Get rid. Nothing against him as I'm sure he would have been a good player given a bit of luck and a fair run in the side, but he'll be out in the summer.

Sodje - Get rid off, he's argubley our sixth choice centre back and deserves games.

DLC - Depends on where SC sees Halford playing, but I would keep him. He's been excellent for us and it's pleasing to see that if he were to leave, he would leave with his reputation held high after a rubbish spell at Aston Villa.

Gunnarson - Keep, big game player for us and could fill the void left by Sidwell.

Oster - Like De La Cruz, depends on how Halford will be deployed (right wing, right back, center midfield) but given him and SC have a gentleman's agreement, he'll most likely leave and good luck to him, again like De La Cruz his reputation will have improved and will be a wanted man.

Seol - A must keep for me, quality player who's shown his worth and is unfortunate that he'll constantly get signalled out by our fans. Best 2 footed player at the club.

Long - A player we should keep, but if we get another striker in the summer then he should be allowed to develop his talent in the Championship.

LoyalRoyal13

by LoyalRoyal13 » 10 Apr 2007 16:18

Bikey - keep him! Needs a little work but a very good player in the making, another Coppell bargain

Halls - no way back I'm afraid!

Sodje - very frustrated to see him not being played. I thought he was impressive at Wigan away at the begininning of the season and really thought that he was one for the future. He has a brilliatn ability to head the ball and isnt exactly slow. I for one will be disapointed to see him leave, but I realise I am probably the minority here!

De La Cruz - definately keep him, only has a few more seasons in him at the most and I would be happy for those to be at Reading

Gunnarsson - IMHO this man should be starting alongside Sidwell week in week out, Coppell isn't an idiot he wouldn't sell Brynar

Oster - can't say he would be greatly missed

Seol - brilliant at the beginning of the season, and then what happened? Can't see a way back for the lad either unfortunately. I think he will be off in January

Long - agree with the possibility of a loan to a championship club, maybe not the whole season though...we want him back!

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 10 Apr 2007 16:26

Bikey - Buy.

Halls - Bye.

Sodje - Bye.

De La Cruz -Bye (unfortueantley)

Gunnarsson - Buy

Oster - Buy

Seol - Buy

Long - Bye for a while

ESTIM8R

by ESTIM8R » 10 Apr 2007 16:36

The only thing I don't agree with is the reason for SC's decisions yesterday. I believe the reason we saw change was the fact the regulars are NOT doing the job for us and he wanted to put a fire under their backsides.
This is SC trying to stir something up in his squad, it seems as if the players have accepted the fact that they are staying up and don't need to prove anything. This was his way of letting them know they have to play all the games with the same intensity as the one's them got them where they are.
I believe SC knows who will stay and who will go already and needs to get his boys back in winning form before the end of the season.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Apr 2007 16:36

I didn't know Halls was injured. :?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 10 Apr 2007 16:37

Royal Lady I didn't know Halls was injured. :?

Hernia injury, basically the one Glen Little's got at the moment.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Apr 2007 16:37

ESTIM8R The only thing I don't agree with is the reason for SC's decisions yesterday. I believe the reason we saw change was the fact the regulars are NOT doing the job for us and he wanted to put a fire under their backsides.
This is SC trying to stir something up in his squad, it seems as if the players have accepted the fact that they are staying up and don't need to prove anything. This was his way of letting them know they have to play all the games with the same intensity as the one's them got them where they are.
I believe SC knows who will stay and who will go already and needs to get his boys back in winning form before the end of the season.

All possible.

But I think it's simply a case of Coppell not wanting Europe and therefore using the remainder of this season to test the fringe players.

Good move I think.