Which one of these men is the Premierships's real hero?

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 27 Apr 2007 22:17

Vision
Top Flight Regarding Marcus, he has been absolutely outstanding recently.

He did look a bit dodgy in the early season but he has been a brilliant keeper for many weeks now.

It may be a coincidence but in my opinion Marcus has looked a lot more assured since Sonko's injury.

No, he's looked a lot better since he got a kick up the arse when Fed came in and played well.

It's amazing what some competition can do isn't it!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 Apr 2007 23:36

paultheroyal Sidwell should do what Matt Le Tissier did. Big fish little pond syndrome.

If he goes to another club he will have any flaws seriously exposed and fans will be on his back. He is no better than say a Nicky Butt.

I would agree with that. Only difference was Le Tissier was even better than Sid and was probably good enough to play for Manchester United if he wasn't such a lazy git.

I think Sid has found his level with us. I think our league position is equivalent to Sidwells ability. The teams above us all have better midfielders than Sid. He is in the right place as far as I am concerned.

However, you can't blame the lad for trying his luck and seeing if he can push on further. He has come along way and he wants to go further if he can.

Until he is not succeeding he has to keep on pushing so he will leave us for now.... If he fails at the next club and struggles to make the team then he would realise that RFC was his level. I think he will eventually come back either to us or to someone of similar standing as ourselves e.g. Bolton, Pompey, Boro etc. He will play for his big club for 1 to 2 years and then probably realise that it was one step too far.

All 5 goals

by All 5 goals » 27 Apr 2007 23:38

Can not be bothered to read all the replies but my top 5 would be.

Linvoy HAS REALL stepped up this season. I disapointed when he left us a solid defender that has had a great season.

Drogba I hate chelsea , however this season he has single handedly won games for them on his own and he has reduced the diving this season.

Ronaldo After the stick he took at the world cup has risen above it all and proved what a great player he is. And in a way put Roonet in his palce and shown what he (rooney) needs to do to eb a great palyer.

Ben Foster He has probabaly earned more points than any other player in the league. With out him I am convinced that Watford would ahve ended up with less points than Sunderland did last season.

From Reading can not make my mind up between Doyle, marcus, Sidwell and Shorey But because of his quiet unassuming style I would give it to Shorey.

Ps for those that criticise Sidwell just think about the games this season when he has been absolutely superb and 'won' them on his own. Villa at home and Everton away come to mind.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 Apr 2007 23:40

All 5 goals Can not be bothered to read all the replies but my top 5 would be.

Linvoy HAS REALL stepped up this season. I disapointed when he left us a solid defender that has had a great season.

Drogba I hate chelsea , however this season he has single handedly won games for them on his own and he has reduced the diving this season.

Ronaldo After the stick he took at the world cup has risen above it all and proved what a great player he is. And in a way put Roonet in his palce and shown what he (rooney) needs to do to eb a great palyer.

Ben Foster He has probabaly earned more points than any other player in the league. With out him I am convinced that Watford would ahve ended up with less points than Sunderland did last season.

From Reading can not make my mind up between Doyle, marcus, Sidwell and Shorey But because of his quiet unassuming style I would give it to Shorey.

Ps for those that criticise Sidwell just think about the games this season when he has been absolutely superb and 'won' them on his own. Villa at home and Everton away come to mind.

We didn't win at Everton :shock:

All 5 goals

by All 5 goals » 27 Apr 2007 23:46

Oh yes I forgot felt like a win after a tough Christmas,

Apologies for getting it wrong when drunk. However, ignore the details Sidwell has had an excellent season and there are games where I (and my friends) have walked away and felt like he was the difference.

All 5 goals

by All 5 goals » 27 Apr 2007 23:52

PS by 'won' I was talking metaphorically as in he 'won' the midfield battle.

Anyway whay the f am I bothering defending my post to you...

You are an Anal in disuise :D :D :D :D :D :? :P :oops: :roll: :shock: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :cry: :oops: :P :? 8) :D

kingthor

by kingthor » 27 Apr 2007 23:59

Top Flight...from another yank who lives in Chicago, thanks for that as well. MVP of the forum for me. Who needs Sidwell, we got Top Flight (can you play center mid.?)

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 28 Apr 2007 00:00

All 5 goals
Top Flight
All 5 goals Ps for those that criticise Sidwell just think about the games this season when he has been absolutely superb and 'won' them on his own. Villa at home and Everton away come to mind.

We didn't win at Everton :shock:

Oh yes I forgot felt like a win after a tough Christmas

Felt like a damn draw to me after we hung six on the Whammerz and knocked Burnley out of the Cup.

Just sayin', mate --have the next one on me :wink:

All 5 goals

by All 5 goals » 28 Apr 2007 00:16

YEs I am drunk again but tonight I shall be more restrained, Just watching Mrs Sidwell winning WAG's Boutik

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 28 Apr 2007 00:19

Top Flight I'm gonna be in LA in a few weeks time and am still wondering if I will be able to watch the final game at Blackburn............. I will keep an eye on your US TV thread.

I just checked the Fox and Hounds site and they are about a week away from the 13th:

http://www.thefoxandhounds.com/sports.html

I imagine they will have it updated in a week with what game they are showing on Sunday morning the 13th.

Still looking forward to catching the game with you Top Flight as long as they are showing it!

And thanks for typing all of that in above, very interesting reading.

Z-Head
Location: Oh when the red red robin goes bob bob bobing along Shoot the bastard!!!!!!!!

by Z-Head » 28 Apr 2007 08:49

Sidwell must have a great agent!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Apr 2007 10:57

All 5 goals From Reading can not make my mind up between Doyle, Marcus, Sidwell and Shorey But because of his quiet unassuming style I would give it to Shorey.

For all your drunken ramblings and hero worship of Steve Sidwell, in these 2 paragraphs you highlight my main bone of contention regarding our over rated midfielder.

If fans like you can find 3 alternative Reading heroes, just think what those of us who don't think the sun shines out of Sidwell's backside can come up with :?

Whilst I wouldn't take issue with the others you mention, I can add several who have either, equaled or, bettered Sidwell's contribution to this campaign, not forgetting that many of these players could make similar claims regarding last season, when the greedy one was nowhere in site when it came to voting for player of the season.

In my view, Marcus has been an unsung hero for much of the season and, given the amount of stick he's had for a few poor kicks, it beggars belief how little Sidwell has had for countless shots that wouldn't have looked out of place in League 2 :?

Sonko was superb until he finally believed he was superman and got himself injured for the rest of the season and beyond.

Lita has made the kind of top flight impact that Sidwell can only dream about, by scoring enough goals to establish himself in the England under 21's.

Doyle has gone one better by cementing a place in the full Irish side, in a season that saw him nominated for young player of the season.

Murty has not only been missed more this season than Sidwell has since the day he arrived, but has also been the teams main driving force far more than Sidwell and his fan club would have us believe.

I've criticized Shorey in the past for going through the motions at times, with his place all but guaranteed since the day he first broke into the side all those years ago, but this campaign has, in my view, been his best by a distance. He's responded to playing against some of the best players in the world. I still don't believe he is good enough to be an England regular but the fact he isn't even in the frame is a disgrace.

Little started the season returning from injury and is now injured again. However, I think it's fair to say that in between he provided the sort of quality that our strikers are now missing, having delivered crosses that previously earned us points at places like Stamford Bridge :?

Stephen Hunt couldn't dislodge Convey last season but has now made idiots of his detractors by forcing his way into the Irish squad with his performances for RFC.

I don't think Ivar quite warrants the rave reviews he's getting from certain quarters, having had a number of flat performances when returning from international duty, but I still see his contribution has being equal to Sidwell's.

Unless this club is prepared to pay similar, or better, wages to the above mentioned heroes, who have all made vital contributions to making this season one that surpassed all all our wildest dreams, I can't wait for the day that Steve Sidwell leaves and we can all move on.

He will get his over inflated wage elsewhere but it will be at a club that currently has less chance of winning any silverware than ourselves and, frankly, I think we're better off without this type of player.

Keeping the rest of this fantastic squad is FAR more important than pandering to one over-rated midfielder who's biggest accolade this season has been to committ the most fouls in the Premiership :?

Bye bye, Siddy, close the door behind you.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Apr 2007 20:14

I was certainly not saying that Sidwell is the single and only reason we have and are doing well. But he has played an important role and made an outstanding contribution as have so many other players.

I also do believe that Sidwell can be replaced with a very strong chance by somebody better.

But I won't disrespect his contribution like so many on here seem to want to. I don't think the sun shines out of his a*rse. I do think he can be replaced. I am looking forward to finding out who Coppell replaces him with.

But I certainly won't knock Sidwell for the way in which he has decided to leave us. It might be fair to knock Pardew and McGhee for breaking contracts but Sidwell has been completely honest with Reading FC from day one. That is my only issue. I am just defending Sidwells honesty. I don't care about his silly remark that he has a family to feed. Compared to all the great moments and contribution he has given to the team people seem to want to pick up on one silly comment and make it very important. That is just being thick as far as I'm concerned.

Sidwell has been a great servant to Reading Football Club and I will definitely give him a big ovation when he wears the shirt for the last time at the Madejski seeing as I'll be in America for the very last time he wears the shirt!

bassavage

by bassavage » 29 Apr 2007 20:17

Found this in the Bolton programme:

Reading players with the most:

Shots: Steve Sidwell 60
Shots on targer: Steve Sidwell 20
Shots off target: Steve Sidwell 40
Assists: Steve Sidwell 6

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Apr 2007 20:24

The fact that this Sidwell debate has been raging all season shows in how much regard and esteem the fans genuinely hold for Sidwell.

Little has been mentioned about Wally Downes contract rejection. But as so many people have genuinely such high regard for Sidwell's ability and are truly devastated that he's leaving are slating the poor guy to make themselves feel better mentally.

As I said already before, its a coping mechanism. People are so upset Sidwell is gonna leave they have to cope with it by totally belittling the poor lad and saying he is rubbish and close the door behind him.

Sidwell isn't the only contributor to a great period in RFC history. I am sure the fans would be equally devastated if we were going through the same situation with other highly regarded players such as Shorey, Doyle, Lita, Harper, Sonko, Hahnemann etc.

There really is something very wrong with Reading fans that they cannot respect and appreciate one of the best midfielders to ever wear the hoops. He has been so honest with the club and fans but fans still are bitter and still think he is dishonest. All the idiot fans have is one slip of the tongue, off the cuff remark that Sid probably regrets in hindsight.

I think Sid is ambitious and wants to do well for himself. People are foolish and naive to think that human nature doesn't behave like that. Sid is not a Reading born and bred person. He is a Londoner. He only moved to Reading when he joined the Royals. Reading means the same to Sidwell as Derby County means to me.

Its sad that people wanna make bitter and foolish remarks about Sidwell. There is just total disrespect for the time he's given us.

People are hypocrits to critisize McGhee and Pards for breaking contracts and renegging on agreements with the club and for being dishonest. And then when someone is totally honest critisizing them as well. All I know is that there are alot of seriously thick, bitter and disrespectful RFC fans that frequent this board.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Apr 2007 20:28

kingthor Top Flight...from another yank who lives in Chicago, thanks for that as well. MVP of the forum for me. Who needs Sidwell, we got Top Flight (can you play center mid.?)

No, but I can play Supporting from the East Stand. Thats my role to the team.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Apr 2007 20:29

seahawk10
Top Flight I'm gonna be in LA in a few weeks time and am still wondering if I will be able to watch the final game at Blackburn............. I will keep an eye on your US TV thread.

I just checked the Fox and Hounds site and they are about a week away from the 13th:

http://www.thefoxandhounds.com/sports.html

I imagine they will have it updated in a week with what game they are showing on Sunday morning the 13th.

Still looking forward to catching the game with you Top Flight as long as they are showing it!

And thanks for typing all of that in above, very interesting reading.

Yeah me too...... I'm keeping an eye on the listings.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Apr 2007 04:04

Top Flight The fact that this Sidwell debate has been raging all season shows in how much regard and esteem the fans genuinely hold for Sidwell.

Little has been mentioned about Wally Downes contract rejection. But as so many people have genuinely such high regard for Sidwell's ability and are truly devastated that he's leaving are slating the poor guy to make themselves feel better mentally.

As I said already before, its a coping mechanism. People are so upset Sidwell is gonna leave they have to cope with it by totally belittling the poor lad and saying he is rubbish and close the door behind him.

Sidwell isn't the only contributor to a great period in RFC history. I am sure the fans would be equally devastated if we were going through the same situation with other highly regarded players such as Shorey, Doyle, Lita, Harper, Sonko, Hahnemann etc.

There really is something very wrong with Reading fans that they cannot respect and appreciate one of the best midfielders to ever wear the hoops. He has been so honest with the club and fans but fans still are bitter and still think he is dishonest. All the idiot fans have is one slip of the tongue, off the cuff remark that Sid probably regrets in hindsight.

I think Sid is ambitious and wants to do well for himself. People are foolish and naive to think that human nature doesn't behave like that. Sid is not a Reading born and bred person. He is a Londoner. He only moved to Reading when he joined the Royals. Reading means the same to Sidwell as Derby County means to me.

Its sad that people wanna make bitter and foolish remarks about Sidwell. There is just total disrespect for the time he's given us.

People are hypocrits to critisize McGhee and Pards for breaking contracts and renegging on agreements with the club and for being dishonest. And then when someone is totally honest critisizing them as well. All I know is that there are alot of seriously thick, bitter and disrespectful RFC fans that frequent this board.

None of us has any idea how honest Sidwell has been on this matter.

He could have said all that he's said on the subject without ever having the slightest intention of being here next season (which seems ever more likely with each passing month :? ) and these pages are littered with posts from those who are stupid to believe anything that means there's the slightest chance of him not leaving.

My views on Sidwell have nothing to with sour grapes and everything to with him being just one of many good players in our squad.

He has done nothing in the last 2 seasons to justify being paid any more than at least 6 others and I would be very unhappy if he stayed on that basis.