A.N. Other
No votes

Total votes: 126
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Best RFC left back of all time?

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Jun 2007 14:40

Here's the vote. Nobody disagreed with my proposed list of candidates, so here's the run down:

Dylan Kerr

Signed by Mark McGhee around 1992-3 and established himself as an energetic left back who liked to bomb up the field. Also was reknowned for scoring specatular goals, such as the ones at Blackpool, Plymouth and Elm Park v Stoke City. Played a huge role in Reading getting back into the old Second Division (First Division as it was known then) in 1994 and unfortunately an injury prevented him from taking part in the 1995 playoff final against Bolton. Was released by the management team of Jimmy Quinn and Mick Gooding in 1996 to be replaced by somebody of inferior quality. Not many Reading fans were happy about it!

Mark "Chalkie" White"

I don't really know much about this player, played during the Maurice Evans and Ian Branfoot eras. Probably was involved in promotion from the old Division Four and played a role in the 1985/6 Division Three championship win (including the 13 wins run, probably).

Steve Richardson

A stalwart who played for Reading for a long time, was also part of the 1985/6 Division Three championship winning squad and also played in the Simod Cup final. A shorty who could outjump some taller lads, apparently!

Nick Shorey

Member of the current squad, was signed from Leyton Orient by Alan Pardew in 2000/1, broke into the starting team the following season and ever since has played every season, a member of the Division Two runners up in 2002, played in the playoff defeat to Wolves and also played a big part in the Championship winning season to get to the Premiership. And then last season, in the first ever season in the Premiership, he impressed and earned a call up to the full England set up, and in the process of playing against Brazil became the first Reading player since 1906 to play for England.

Matt Robinson

Was Alan Pardew's second ever signing and made a huge impact in Reading ailing fortunes during the 1999/2000 season. Managed to have a cult following and a baldys day in his honour and played a role in Reading getting to the playoff the following season which ended in defeat to Walsall. The following season his inconsistent displays caused him to lose his place and was released at the end of the season when Reading gained promotion. A good way to go, I think! Never scored a goal for Reading though.

Ray Reeves

Don't know anything about him and google produced no answers. Ask Alan Partridge, he made the nomination!

Stuart Gray

Was signed by Tommy Burns on deadline day in 1998 as one of the so called "Magnificent Seven" and he wasn't the worst of them. A skillful but slow defender he managed to keep his left back position the following season but was replaced by Matt Robinson.

Steve Swailes

Signed by the management team of Jimmy Quinn and Mick Gooding in 1995 to provide competition for Dylan Kerr. However, like Martyn Booty, probably was only popular because of a song!

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 05 Jun 2007 14:42

If Mark White is allowed 'Chalkie' in quotes then why isn't Nick Shorey described as Nick 'Nicky' Shorey ?

RobRoyale

by RobRoyale » 05 Jun 2007 14:45

:roll: Bit of a no brainer really... Which one played for England!!! ?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 Jun 2007 14:58

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nicky Shorey in the same poll as Gray and Swailes. Again, no contest.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Jun 2007 15:00

Royalee :lol: :lol: :lol: Nicky Shorey in the same poll as Gray and Swailes. Again, no contest.

Absolutely, but nobody gave realistic alternatives to those two.

Michael Gilkes might have been a better alternative, but wouldn't the best ever XI look silly if he won this one as well as the left wing?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 Jun 2007 15:12

SpaceCruiser
Royalee :lol: :lol: :lol: Nicky Shorey in the same poll as Gray and Swailes. Again, no contest.

Michael Gilkes might have been a better alternative, but wouldn't the best ever XI look silly if he won this one as well as the left wing?

He wouldn't win my left wing, let alone left back. Having Shorey up against the others shows just how far we've come since the Burns era though.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Jun 2007 15:14

Royalee
SpaceCruiser

He wouldn't win my left wing, let alone left back. Having Shorey up against the others shows just how far we've come since the Burns era though.

Yeah, you're absolutely right about how far we've come. I'd have Michael Gilkes for left wing though!

ferret

by ferret » 05 Jun 2007 15:27

Steve Richardson for me, just because along with Michael Gilkes they were about the only players I could see from the south bank. As when I first watching Reading I was only about 4 foot tall and didnt wear my glasses so I could only see the left and right sided players clearly.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Best RFC left back of all time?

by Franchise FC » 05 Jun 2007 15:40

SpaceCruiser Ray Reeves

Don't know anything about him and google produced no answers. Ask Alan Partridge, he made the nomination!

Ray Reeves played in the late 50's early sixties and ended up working for the Co-op dairy for a while - with my Grandad as it happens.

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about him as a player except that he had a reputation of kicking anything that moved.

Jagdpanther

by Jagdpanther » 05 Jun 2007 15:41

Steve Richardson for me too, was the incumbent left back when I first started going in the early 80's. Saw him put in many solid performances over many many seasons. And he was a top bloke to boot. Shorey is quality, but not played enough games to warrant best left back ever IMHO

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Jun 2007 15:42

Jagdpanther Shorey is quality, but not played enough games to warrant best left back ever IMHO

That's a joke, right? Played since 2001, I believe.

Jagdpanther

by Jagdpanther » 05 Jun 2007 15:51

SpaceCruiser
Jagdpanther Shorey is quality, but not played enough games to warrant best left back ever IMHO

220ish vs 438, as I said IMHO, which is obviously very very humble :lol: OK i was just trying to justify not voting Shorey with the masses :lol: I shall slink back to obscurity from whence I came

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Jun 2007 15:53

Jagdpanther
SpaceCruiser

220ish vs 438, as I said IMHO, which is obviously very very humble :lol: OK i was just trying to justify not voting Shorey with the masses :lol: I shall slink back to obscurity from whence I came

No, that's cool. Personally, I voted for Dylan Kerr! ;)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jun 2007 17:00

Good as many of these players are there is just no question it's Shorey considering he has just been capped for England and looked at home on his debut against Brazil.

Add that to the level he is playing at for us and that Ronaldo switched wing to get more success away from him and that he cost us £25k it really is a no brainer.

glad to see a few votes for the others as they deserve them, it's unfortunate that Shorey has just been so spectacularly good for us (in a quiet effiecient way of course)

The Colonel

by The Colonel » 05 Jun 2007 17:15

Jagdpanther Steve Richardson for me too, was the incumbent left back when I first started going in the early 80's. Saw him put in many solid performances over many many seasons. And he was a top bloke to boot. Shorey is quality, but not played enough games to warrant best left back ever IMHO

I concur and who could forget Stevie Rich's ridiculously high-pitched voice? He squeeled like a pig every time he wanted the ball!

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 05 Jun 2007 17:17

SpaceCruiser

I seem to recall he played a lot more at left back than he did left wing (much to the frustration of the South Bank). Attacking opportunities seemed to be saved for cup matches.

The Colonel

by The Colonel » 05 Jun 2007 17:38

Gilkes was a left-winger who played the odd game at wing-back and left back as an experiment. I don'r recall him really being a regular in the side in any particular position - although I would guess he appeared the most times on the left wing. He also played some games up front (Simod Cup Final anyone?).

He was most often used as a sub where he could be brought off the bench to use his one trick (booting the ball past a full-back and running past him at olympian speed) to surprise opponents.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 05 Jun 2007 18:19

Gone for Steve Richardson one of my true legends and someone who was so reliable for years.

Unlike others I do not feel that I have to justify my decision.

Harold

by Harold » 05 Jun 2007 19:04

The problem with these votes is - Back in the days when the likes of Stevie Richardson played - Reading only got about 3,000 crowds, so most people on here wont remember him. Thus most of the votes from the plastics will go to the most recent player.

Upper West?!?

by Upper West?!? » 05 Jun 2007 20:24

So who voted for Matt Robinson :shock: ?

You are joking aren't you?