Roll on January

Forest Gump

Roll on January

by Forest Gump » 15 Sep 2007 21:12

It is obvious from Steve Coppell's recent interview that he feels he was mistaken to have such confidence in his current squad. If the transfer window was about to close at the end of September rather than August we would see a flurry of activity I am sure.

Instead we have to tough it out with what we've got for the next few months and hope that we are still in reach of safety come January when we can (in theory) strengthen the team.

The thing is that if we are still in the bottom three at that time it will be very hard to attract good players. After all who would want to join a club on the verge of relegation. In that climate Reading will find it a lot more expensive to get players in.

In hindsight the current transfer policy will have proved to be a major failing. I hope it doesn't condemn the team to failure as well.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 15 Sep 2007 22:19

While we're waiting, perhaps we could try playing the players we have bought in the positions for which we bought them.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 15 Sep 2007 22:21

Roll on next August I say.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Sep 2007 22:34

shadesrwrf Roll on next August I say.
Roll on next Saturday I say

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 15 Sep 2007 22:40

Agree with you Arch. Lets play Fae in central midfield from the start and in place of Gunnarsson. Perhaps the time has come to blood Henry..although I dont know enough about him. Is he good enough for the Prem? Maybe he should be given a chance right wide with Rosenior playing right back. I dont like seeing Murts dropped but the team does need shaking up a bit.
It is still early days but we need to turn the tide against Wigan. On present form we wont beat them. Now is the time for SC to re-energise the side. If he can do that we will win next Saturday.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 15 Sep 2007 23:47

I feel fairly confident that with Fae and Convey starting and Rosenoir instead of Murty (sorry Murts) there is plenty of time to turn things around and be well out of the relegation slot by January. Coppell has been really fair and loyal with players and given them a chance and, simply, it isn't working. Unless we change we will get relegated on the basis of our past three performances. Right now time is on our side but we have to start changing things pronto. Changing things may mean we lose against Wigan as the team get used to things but that's a risk we have to take, there is, quite literally, no other option.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Sep 2007 23:59

AthleticoSpizz
shadesrwrf Roll on next August I say.
Roll on next Saturday I say

Yup, we should get back on track, hopefully.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 16 Sep 2007 00:06

Would not surprise me in the slightest if we dont sign anyone in January.

Not in the Coppell/Reading mould etc.

We have the money to get a right winger in, we should have done so months ago. It is all very well giving press interviews bemoaning the loss of Seol and Little Mr Coppell, but it is your job to replace them.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Sep 2007 01:42

And this is the big problem now isn't it - we are literally f*cked til January. Can't do anything til then; can't sack our best ever manager, can hardly ask the board to resign and certainly can't bring anyone in.

All we can do - on current miserable evidence - is hope that we can somehow scrimp enough points before January to at least give us a fighting chance come the inevitable welter of thrilling signings in the new year. And I'm not a big fan of that word hope, personally.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 16 Sep 2007 02:24

Why is Gunnarsson always starting? Play Fae in the middle from the off FFS :roll:

I hope we have a right winger lined up that will move to Reading as soon as the window opens, no hanging around to the end of the month please.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 16 Sep 2007 02:55

floyd__streete All we can do - on current miserable evidence - is hope
Hold on, floyd. There's a lot we can do other than merely hope. There are obvious combinations that have yet to take the field,yet alone get a run. Emerse Fae is our biggest ever signing and hasn;t yet started in the "Sidwell" position. Bobby Convey - an ever-present in the Championship team - has yet to start. When we played a genuine right winger - first Seol then Oster - we were effective. How short are the memories of those who can't get their minds back to the first half against Chelsea when Oster played his best football in a Reading shirt. To be so despairing this early is crazy. We've got more points than Bolton and one less than Tottenham. Definitely the team has to change, but I wouldn't be so sure we need don't have the resources already on staff.

starbug

by starbug » 16 Sep 2007 09:49

My worry is that if we couldn't attract even half decent players in the summer with an 8th place finish behind us who are we going to attract in a relegation scrap in January?

And if we are in a relegation scrap we certainly wont commit to paying any wages that are considered big for Reading (e.g. poor by everyone else's standards).

JimGRoyal

by JimGRoyal » 16 Sep 2007 10:00

Yes it is a puzzle that we have found no capable right wingers. I don't believe Oster is our saviour. Seol was never going to be. Little could be. We desperately need another Little. Does he have a twin?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 16 Sep 2007 10:12

JimGRoyal Yes it is a puzzle that we have found no capable right wingers. I don't believe Oster is our saviour. Seol was never going to be. Little could be. We desperately need another Little. Does he have a twin?

No but he's got a brother, but I think he's still too little .....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Sep 2007 10:14

How short are the memories of those who can't get their minds back to the first half against Chelsea when Oster played his best football in a Reading shirt.

Why isn't Oster playing now?

Odd. Can't stand the guy in centre-mid, as he doesn't get involved as much as I'd like.

Yet he added balance to the wings when he played there.

Everton at home seems a long, long time ago.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Sep 2007 10:23

Oster is injured. HTH.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 16 Sep 2007 10:25

I know.

So why sell our remaining right winger while the other two are injured?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Sep 2007 10:27

I dunno. This was asked at the time, I believe. I presumed Rosenior was coming in as a direct replacement for Seol.

JimGRoyal

by JimGRoyal » 16 Sep 2007 10:35

papereyes
How short are the memories of those who can't get their minds back to the first half against Chelsea when Oster played his best football in a Reading shirt.

Why isn't Oster playing now?

Odd. Can't stand the guy in centre-mid, as he doesn't get involved as much as I'd like.

Yet he added balance to the wings when he played there.

Everton at home seems a long, long time ago.

One good first half of good play maketh not a season

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 16 Sep 2007 10:40

Slightly more reassuring than 3 games without a right winger though, wouldn't you agree?