Youth Players

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Sep 2007 15:32

Biscuit I think the problem comes more from squad sizes. Coppell will want his most experienced, 'reliable' 11 out on the field, then he'll have his 5 subs, 1 of which is a keeper. That leaves four places on the bench, and at least one of those has to be one of the 4 strikers at the club. He'll then have a couple more choices to make, and I think he'll always pick a Convey, De La Cruz, Fae etc not because he necessarily thinks that they'll make an impression from the bench, but more to keep them happy and involved. What would Convey/De La Cruz think if Henry took their place in the team? Egos are important at this level, and I think that's where Coppell has problems and won't take risks.

I think it simpler than that. Is Henry better than what we have on the bench? None of us have seen anything to say he is and Coppell doesn't think so and to be honest he's prob right.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Sep 2007 15:35

You never win anything with kids.

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 18 Sep 2007 15:58

You never win anything with negativity

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 Sep 2007 16:12

Kevin Doyles Right Foot You never win anything with negativity

Tell that to George Graham !

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 18 Sep 2007 16:15

Who? :wink:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Sep 2007 16:27

Tell that to Jose Mourinho.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Sep 2007 16:28

Tell that to Michael Faraday.

bassavage

Re: Youth Players

by bassavage » 18 Sep 2007 16:29

winchester_royal
bassavage Can people please stop talking about using our youth players. Players like Mikkel Andersen, James Henry and Alex Pearce are not going to improve the team. These players are not of a Premiership standard at the moment, maybe they will in four or five years time, I don't know. At the moment, these players are good enough to play for League 1 sides, maybe lower Championship sides but certainly not against Premiership sides, so can people stop talking about how these player must be brought in because they shouldn't as they do not have the qualities at the moment to cut it in the Premiership.

never have i read so much complete and utter boll*cks in one post, James Henry was just picked for the England U19, Mikkel Andersen is the youngest ever player to play in the danish league, and Alex Pearce was brilliant while on loan to Northampton. How can they play any worse than the shite on show at the moment?

James Henry was picked for the England U19's, but let's have a look at the starting line up for their last game against Belarus:

Simon Eastwood, Jack Cork, Ryan Bertrand, Lee Sawyer, Sam Hutchinson, Ciaran Clark, James Henry, Jamie Chandler, Andy Carroll, Fabien Brandy, Sone Aluko

I must admit that they are setting the Premiership alight at the moment aren't they?

Mikkel Andersen played for a side in the Danish 1st division, which is as good as League 2 and Alex Pearce was fantastic for Northampton, but he was playing Bournemouth and Leyton Orient infront of 5,000 people which is a bit different in playing in the Premiership with a crowd about 5 times as big and with millions of people watching you on MOTD and across the world.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 18 Sep 2007 17:19

Point made basssavage but if the first team players are struggling and the reserves are shining I dont see a problem with bringing someone like Henry into the squad and bringing on from the bench towards the end of a game and see how he gets on. It would of course depend on the scoreline, ie if we are winning 1-0 and hanging on then no it would not be the right move but say as with Sunderland two down with twenty to play yep why not give him a go.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Sep 2007 18:32

bassavage
winchester_royal
bassavage Can people please stop talking about using our youth players. Players like Mikkel Andersen, James Henry and Alex Pearce are not going to improve the team. These players are not of a Premiership standard at the moment, maybe they will in four or five years time, I don't know. At the moment, these players are good enough to play for League 1 sides, maybe lower Championship sides but certainly not against Premiership sides, so can people stop talking about how these player must be brought in because they shouldn't as they do not have the qualities at the moment to cut it in the Premiership.

never have i read so much complete and utter boll*cks in one post, James Henry was just picked for the England U19, Mikkel Andersen is the youngest ever player to play in the danish league, and Alex Pearce was brilliant while on loan to Northampton. How can they play any worse than the shite on show at the moment?

James Henry was picked for the England U19's, but let's have a look at the starting line up for their last game against Belarus:

Simon Eastwood, Jack Cork, Ryan Bertrand, Lee Sawyer, Sam Hutchinson, Ciaran Clark, James Henry, Jamie Chandler, Andy Carroll, Fabien Brandy, Sone Aluko

I must admit that they are setting the Premiership alight at the moment aren't they?

Mikkel Andersen played for a side in the Danish 1st division, which is as good as League 2 and Alex Pearce was fantastic for Northampton, but he was playing Bournemouth and Leyton Orient infront of 5,000 people which is a bit different in playing in the Premiership with a crowd about 5 times as big and with millions of people watching you on MOTD and across the world.

so what do you suggest we do with youth players then? There will never be any substitute for the premiership, so do we just shut down the academy and play old pros like gunnarsson who never reall excite....or do we take a gamble, if it does not work then fine, but if it does then brilliant

also i dont think you get teams the standard of Brondby in League two

bassavage

by bassavage » 18 Sep 2007 20:20

winchester_royal
bassavage
winchester_royal

so what do you suggest we do with youth players then? There will never be any substitute for the premiership, so do we just shut down the academy and play old pros like gunnarsson who never reall excite....or do we take a gamble, if it does not work then fine, but if it does then brilliant

also i dont think you get teams the standard of Brondby in League two

No we should keep the academy, who's to say that we might find a superstar or maybe prehaps one of the players mentioned will become great players, what I am saying is that they are not good enough for the Premiership NOW. I doubt Kevin Doyle was good enough for the Premiership when he was 18.

And I think you'll find Mikkel Andersen played seven times for Akademisk Boldklub who are in the second tier of Danish football so before you start an argument, I would do some research first if I were you.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 Sep 2007 21:23

winchester_royal [ play old pros like gunnarsson who never reall excite....

Go away and take a look at some of bryn's performances for us and then withdraw that remark !!

Sheff Utd, man Utd....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Sep 2007 16:30

Behindu

Go away and take a look at some of bryn's performances for us and then withdraw that remark !!

Sheff Utd, man Utd....

a couple of headed goals does not make him an exciting player

i never said he had failed at the club i just said i would rather see players like fae than gunnarsson, and i think that the majority of supporters would agree with me on that

Doyler

by Doyler » 19 Sep 2007 17:20

winchester_royal
Behindu

Sheff Utd, man Utd....

i never said he had failed at the club i just said i would rather see players like fae than gunnarsson, and i think that the majority of supporters would agree with me on that
What about his brilliant goal at blackburn last season, hit first time from 25 yards out and it flew in the top corner?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 19 Sep 2007 17:30

winchester_royal
Behindu

Sheff Utd, man Utd....

His rattling of the Man Utd cross bar wasn;t a header...

You said he never excites, there have been several examples quoted where he has provided great excitement....