Why didn't Bikey, Convey & Fae play, or Lita make bench?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Why didn't Bikey, Convey & Fae play, or Lita make bench?

by Royal Rother » 22 Sep 2007 17:18

Very happy with 3 points; today that was all that mattered.

But I am very surprised that Bikey made way for Duberry again and that Fae didn't at the very least come on as sub, though I think most of us thought he would start today.

In the end I suppose Coppell's decisions were all justified by the end resulty, but (no criticsm of Rosenior) Convey chganged the game when he came on by all accounts.

Gunnarsson seemed (from commentary) to be somewhat off the pace, and, as fae had an excellent cameo last week, I'd have thought he would at least have come on for 15 mins again.

I suppose that not changing the personnel in the latter stages worked as we got the winner, but I am wondering what reasons Coppell has for choosing the team he did.

Oh and as for Lita - I suppose we all assume he's dropped to give the silly twat another reality check. Usually he comes back better after a spell on the sidelines so let's hope it works again. Otherwise come January he could be traded out to get another couple of new faces in.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2007 17:28

One thing I admire about Coppell is he has always had the balls to make surprising decisions and totally drop people or bring people in.

Whatever Coppell decides is good enough for me.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 22 Sep 2007 17:58

sorry to disagree but sir Steve got out of jail big time today, starting Gunnar was a big no no for me, and so it proved to be, didn`t do anything of note in the whole game and crowned it by almost gifting Bent a goal, it was blatantly obvious for the entire 2nd half that we were struggling for a spark in the middle of the park (even though Harps manfully played his part..alone). we had 2.5m worth of talent in Fae on the bench but it was ignored.
the sub he did make confused me, why not play Convey in the position he is most happy?..Hunt was not doing a job there!!!

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 22 Sep 2007 18:00

Chaney sorry to disagree but sir Steve got out of jail big time today, starting Gunnar was a big no no for me, and so it proved to be, didn`t do anything of note in the whole game and crowned it by almost gifting Bent a goal, it was blatantly obvious for the entire 2nd half that we were struggling for a spark in the middle of the park (even though Harps manfully played his part..alone). we had 2.5m worth of talent in Fae on the bench but it was ignored.
the sub he did make confused me, why not play Convey in the position he is most happy?..Hunt was not doing a job there!!!

I was the same. However Gunnar was good for about 60. Then stamina kicks in, or rather in his case, deserts him... Coppell HAS TO SEE the Gunner cannot last 90 minutes!

I think Rosenior came off as a precaution, he had cramp. Though I agree Hunt did nothing at all. Rosenior and Convey next week for me.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Sep 2007 18:04

What a fantastic covering tackle by Michael Duberry when Bent went 1 on 1 with Hahnemann, big moment in the game.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 22 Sep 2007 18:18

RG30 What a fantastic covering tackle by Michael Duberry when Bent went 1 on 1 with Hahnemann, big moment in the game.

ditto was an excellent last ditch tackle.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 22 Sep 2007 18:56

Coppell said that Leroy hadn't played well this season, and he'd rested Doyle last week so wanted to start with him, and Kitson had scored last week so he deserved to start. So having made that decision about his front 2, he felt that Long offered more as a striker coming off the bench than Leroy did.

Fair enough comments if you ask me. I expect Leroy to start on Tuesday UNLESS he let himself down by arguing too much with SSC after being told he wasn't to be involved.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 22 Sep 2007 19:13

Think Gunna had a shocker throughout, mis placed passes left right and centre. Im definately up for Fae playing a part if not starting. Hopefully, he'll get a chance Tuesday.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Sep 2007 19:35

Our midfield was dreadful and Gunnar had a poor game. I would have liked to have seen Fae on, but for now you've got to assume that Gunnar will start at Portsmouth.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Sep 2007 19:59

Rawlie19 Coppell said that Leroy hadn't played well this season, and he'd rested Doyle last week so wanted to start with him, and Kitson had scored last week so he deserved to start. So having made that decision about his front 2, he felt that Long offered more as a striker coming off the bench than Leroy did.

Fair enough comments if you ask me. I expect Leroy to start on Tuesday UNLESS he let himself down by arguing too much with SSC after being told he wasn't to be involved.

What?

I would be more concerned if Leroy just shrugged his shoulders and said "whatever".

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Sep 2007 20:13

Gunnar has to be dropped ...he nearly cost us the game during a second half where he went missing. Fae has to start as does Convey who was very very lively when he came on and looks very sharp to me..
Disappointed Bikey did not start although Doobs did save the day with a vital tackle towards the end.
We got lucky today and SC seems to be playing things in a far too conservative fashion and seemed very reluctant to make changes even though it was obvious the second half was drifting away from us.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Sep 2007 20:26

Particularly regarding Fae it strikes me as odd that we spend a year chasing the player,splash out £2.5 million and then don't play him.
The only thing I can think is that Bryn provides a slightly more physical presence but with shorties like Koumas,Brown and Skoko in and around central midfield I expected Fae to play and show us what he can do.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Sep 2007 20:47

I agree that Gunnarsson struggles in the last quarter of matches but it comes as no surprise that two darlings of the East stand in Murty and Shorey never get the same stick despite having few decent games between them this season.

Has anyone got more misplaced passes to his name this season than Murty :?

Leroy got what his recent form deserved by being effectively reduced to 4th choice striker whereas DLC must wonder what he's got to do to displace our very average right back.

Based mostly on what I've seen on highlight videos and his cameo up at Sunderland, Fae looks a class act in the centre and I would have no problem with him starting at Pompey.

However, Harper and Sidwell regularly failed to command their domain despite many seasons of playing together and I somehow doubt that Coppell is as critical of the current central pairing if he chooses to leave one of our most expensive signings champing at the bit.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 22 Sep 2007 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Sep 2007 20:55

its amazing what a bit of class brings, when convey came on suddenly chances came, not just coincidence

rosenior impressed me, though he is not a winger

i could not beleive it when i saw gunnarsson on the team sheet, and it was even more unbeleivable that coppell didnt take him off towards the end

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Sep 2007 21:03

Responses:
1. It was not a tackle by Doobs - it was a block (just as miraculous though)
2. Rosenior was o.k. (nothing more) but looked out of sorts when attacking. Hopefully, he'll take Murts' place at some stage. (o/w a good Championship player?)
3. Bryn had a good game ON THE WHOLE but cocked up a couple of times (one almost critically) - think we're see Fae starting next week in his place.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Sep 2007 21:17

Agree with your comments Winchester Royal

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Sep 2007 21:19

Agree with your comments Man Friday
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 22 Sep 2007 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Sep 2007 21:20

I do believe that managers these days tinker too much with team selection and I suppose he may feel that bringing 2 or 3 new faces into the starting line-up would be a bit too disruptive. He may feel that we need a wide right player and Rosenior is the only senior who fits the bill at the moment so he's in.

We are okay-ish (some would dispute that though) in central midfield in that we have experience in Harper and Gunnarsson, and he may feel that he doesn't know enough about Cisee and Fae to bring them in as well as Rosenior.

Anyway, that's all guesswork but he obviously has his reasons and I would actually far rather the consistent team selection Coppell "inflicts" on us than the chop and change for every game type of policy favoured by some managers.

Bikey's regular omission is the one that I really don't get.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Sep 2007 21:32

in response to the bikey omission, i feel it was probably vindicated given that duberry was our best defender today

however i do beleive that bikey has more raw ability than any of our other defenders and inga has been poor for the last few games, so maybe it should be ingamarsson getting left out

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Sep 2007 21:32

Bikey's omission also bemuses me. When Sonko is fit I would like to see Bikey alongside him ahead of Ivar and Duberry...

It is currently 20 Apr 2024 15:36